Huggins accepts job at Kansas State

Guest BengalBacker

Guest Whodey420
Thats weird cause just last night I heard he was considering the
Arizona State job I think it was. Still a Bearcat fan but I'll follow
how Bob does regardless of where he goes.

Guest oldschooler
I have no doubt that he`ll turn their program around.
Ecspecially if he gets O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker to follow
him.

I wish him all the luck !

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Lawyer: Huggins accepts Kansas State job[/b][/size]
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins has accepted a five-year contract to coach Kansas State, his attorney, Richard Katz, told ESPN.com on Thursday morning.

Katz said he and Huggins were on their way to Manhattan, Kan., for a news conference later Thursday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Kansas State spokesperson Tom Gilbert told ESPN.com that he hadn't been told as of early Thursday morning to prepare for a news conference.

Why Kansas State?

"He feels that Kansas State has the potential to be a top 10 program," Katz said of Huggins' decision. "The Manhattan university community has embraced him and wants him to be the head coach."

Huggins, who was forced out of Cincinnati last August, will replace Jim Wooldridge, who was fired after the Wildcats lost to Texas Tech in the Big 12 tournament opening round earlier this month.

Kansas State also interviewed Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott, but he took the Iowa State job.

Huggins has had conversations with Kansas State in the past few weeks. Katz had made four trips to Kansas State recently, surveying the scene. This could come down to one of the most important hires of athletic director's Tim Weiser's career. Kansas State has needed to hit a home run with this hire and certainly has brought in a big-time name in Huggins.

If Huggins is able to make the Wildcats into a top 10 program, a lot of that will depend on whether or not he can land the cream of the class of 2007 in North Hill High (Ohio) players O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, who have expressed interest in following Huggins in two seasons.

Huggins has always recruited junior colleges well, an area of recruiting where Kansas State has done well, recently. Kansas State is considered to have solid young talent so Huggins isn't going into a complete rebuilding situation. The Wildcats return their best player, junior Cartier Martin, a 6-8 forward who averaged 18 points a game last season when the team finished 15-13 (6-10 in Big 12). The Wildcats didn't have a senior in their top four scorers last season.

If Cincinnati interim coach Andy Kennedy doesn't land a full-time head coaching gig he could be a top candidate to rejoin his former coach. Kennedy is meeting with Ole Miss for its opening Thursday.

Huggins, 52, coached Cincinnati to 14 straight NCAA Tournaments and the Final Four in 1992. Huggins has said throughout the season that he wanted to return to coaching. Huggins now joins a stellar group of coaches in the Big 12 in Bob Knight (Texas Tech), Rick Barnes (Texas), Eddie Sutton (still at Oklahoma State), Bill Self (Kansas) and Kelvin Sampson (Oklahoma).

[size=3][b]Perfect match?[/b][/size]
Kansas State hasn't made the men's NCAA Tournament field since 1996 and hasn't won an NCAA Tournament game since reaching the regional finals in 1988.
Bob Huggins went 399-127 in 16 seasons with Cincinnati, including 14 straight NCAA Tournament appearances and a Final Four trip in 1992. He was forced to resign from the school in August of 2005.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2380885"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2380885[/url]

[quote name='dieselman44' post='237306' date='Mar 23 2006, 05:12 PM']Plus he is getting that 7'2'' recruit that was going to UC, but said he would follow Huggs anywhere.[/quote]

Jason Bennet I think it is. Who makes the NCAA first K-state or UC? I go with K-State. They just gained another 3 fans in me and my two brothers.

Good luck Huggs! Bring on Mick Cronin as UC's head coach, I think he is the better long term coaching prospect than Andy Kennedy, even though that pains me much to say since he is a class act. He's got too many local and east coast ties vs Kennedy's southern ties which will serve him well as Ole Miss's next coach.

What about Frank Martin? Anyone think he will take Herrera and bolt to K-State with Huggs? I think there is a chance.

Archived