Fielding should be better this year

JBandJoeyV

Last year our fielding really struggled and we had a shit load of errors.

This year we will have Gonzalez over lopez at ss who should be a big upgrade, phillips had a full offseason with the reds and should continue to be a solid fielder. Freel at Center is an upgrade over griffey, while i believe griffey at RF will be an upgrade over Kearns.

Therefore the only spots i still think are weak fielding are 3rd and LF with EE and Dunn, but hopefully they will improve and we will have a solid fielding team this year.

[quote name='j.5000022' post='459883' date='Mar 21 2007, 01:51 PM']fielding a third is going to get better. Encarnacion is improving with that. Once hatterberg leaves the team they need to move dunn to first. He sucks at fielding. If hamilton turns out to be great then they can move him to [s]left[/s] center feild.[/quote]

Fixed it for you.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
Josh Hamilton is the best defensive CF on this team.

Adam Dunn will NEVER move to 1B, he is worse at 1B than he is in LF. If hamilton becomes a starter, freel becomes a backup. Freels defense in CF is nothing compared to Hamiltons.

[quote name='j.5000022' post='459911' date='Mar 21 2007, 02:19 PM']he would be in left wouldn't he. Freel is in center, griffey is in right. One place left for hamilton.[/quote]

Earlier this spring Marty said Josh Hamilton is the best defensive outfielder on the team, and Josh has played CF several times this spring. He also has a better arm than anyone on the team.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='460049' date='Mar 21 2007, 04:21 PM']wow i didnt know hamilton was a stud fielder too...[b]is he a lock to make this team[/b]?[/quote]

Yes.

Best defensive outfielder and arm on the team. Good base runner. Has hit excellent pitchers in clutch situations. Can hit the ball a mile. Hasn't struck out a lot this spring either.

Willy Mo was a Rule 5 player, and the Reds kept him, and Hamilton is a better fielder and base runner.

[quote name='j.5000022' post='459883' date='Mar 21 2007, 12:51 PM']fielding a third is going to get better. Encarnacion is improving with that. Once hatterberg leaves the team they need to move dunn to first. He sucks at fielding. If hamilton turns out to be great then they can move him to left feild.[/quote]
Once Hatteberg is gone Joey Votto will take his place and win rookie of the year, Dunn will stay in left, and Hamilton will be in center. Ryan Freel will go back to doing what he does best and that is playing a different position every other day. I love Freel, but I don't like him as an everyday player. He is more useful as a superutility guy that gets about 4-5 starts a week.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='460316' date='Mar 21 2007, 10:18 PM']If hamilton, votto, and bailey (maybe bruce too) all pan out we should have a solid group of core players in the future.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. I really think that 2008 is gonna be a big year for the Reds. We should have a solid offense and a good top three pitchers in our starting rotation. Now if we could just find a long term closer.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='460049' date='Mar 21 2007, 04:21 PM']wow i didnt know hamilton was a stud fielder too...is he a lock to make this team?[/quote]
he can throw the ball from the wall to homeplate in the air and not as a pop up. he can do it with some heat on it. he is fast and can cover a lot of ground and he catches his shit.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='j.5000022' post='459883' date='Mar 21 2007, 01:51 PM']fielding a third is going to get better. Encarnacion is improving with that. Once hatterberg leaves the team they need to move dunn to first. He sucks at fielding. If hamilton turns out to be great then they can move him to left feild.[/quote]

why do you say hatteburg is leaving? he is a hell of a hitter, a fielder, and person in general... he isn't making an extraordinary amount of money... why would he leave?

and dunn won't be our everyday firstbaseman until he improves his defense... you don't put your worst defender at first... that is just dumb...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='460626' date='Mar 22 2007, 01:47 PM']why do you say hatteburg is leaving? he is a hell of a hitter, a fielder, and person in general... he isn't making an extraordinary amount of money... why would he leave?

and dunn won't be our everyday firstbaseman until he improves his defense... you don't put your worst defender at first... that is just dumb...[/quote]

I think Hatteberg is on the last year of his contract. And I don't think they will move Dunn to first. Joey Votto is the AAA first baseman, and supposedly the best hitting prospect in our minor league system.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='bengalrick' post='460626' date='Mar 22 2007, 01:47 PM']why do you say hatteburg is leaving? he is a hell of a hitter, a fielder, and person in general... he isn't making an extraordinary amount of money... why would he leave?

and dunn won't be our everyday firstbaseman until he improves his defense... you don't put your worst defender at first... that is just dumb...[/quote]
Adam Dunn will NEVER see first base in cincinnati unless there are a bunch of injuries.

Hatteberg wont be resigned imo because he will get good money elsewhere to start and its hard to keep Votto in AAA for another year after this year.

Guest bengalrick
i'm not very up to date on our minor league system... is joey votta a good defender (i assume from your guys' post he can hit, but i am real big on good defense and pitching b/c that is what wins championships)...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='bengalrick' post='460639' date='Mar 22 2007, 02:08 PM']i'm not very up to date on our minor league system... is joey votta a good defender (i assume from your guys' post he can hit, but i am real big on good defense and pitching b/c that is what wins championships)...[/quote]
his defense is why he isnt coming up this year and why hatteberg was extended. he isnt going to be a gold glover or anything. it needs some work, but i think he will be a servicable 1B defensively. you probably wont like it tho.

Archived