20 who'll be better than 'they' say

Hey draftniks, what do you think of some of the names Prisco throws out?

---------------------------------------------

[u][b]Better-Than Team: 20 who'll be better than 'they' say[/b][/u]
April 2, 2007
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

You either like a player, or you don't.

That's my belief when it comes to the NFL Draft. So many scouts and personnel people spend January until April trying to find ways to convince themselves why they don't like a guy. If you like him in November, why not like him come April?

The pros aren't that high on Penn State back Tony Hunt, but they should be. (Getty Images)
The personnel men pick the players apart, bit-by-bit, and when they're done, their heads are so filled with doubt that they have no choice but to change their beliefs.

Then there are the scouts who actually stand by their conviction and then see them picked apart by head or position coaches who come to the process late. Instead of standing up to their beliefs, they get caught up in what others think and often are backed down by the head coach's beliefs.

That's when mistakes are made. "Stick to your convictions" should be on signs hung throughout the league's draft rooms.

With that in mind, and about a month to go before teams make their picks, it's a good time to unveil the players on my annual Better-Than Team. Each year, I come up with a list of players I like better than most scouts or analysts, and this year I've come up with 20.

Of the 20, only a couple have a chance to go in the first round, and if they do, it will be late.

Most will be second-, third- or fourth-round picks. In three years, some will be on their way to the Pro Bowl. Others will be quality starters. Some might be failures; the odds say so, but I like my guys.

I believe in these 20 players. And nobody, not even the scouts I talk to, can change my mind.

Remember: Stick to your convictions.

Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State: He is a move-the-chains type of runner. You won't get a lot of explosive plays, but he knows how to find the cracks and creases to pick up yardage. He plays hard all the time.

Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn: He was bothered by injuries in 2006 and didn't play as well as he did in 2005. But this kid knows how to slash his way to open spots. He should be a second-round steal for some team.

Ray McDonald, DE-DT, Florida: At 6-feet-4, 275 pounds, he moved inside in 2006 to play tackle, but he's probably better suited outside. He came back from a serious knee injury in 2005 and had a nice season. He shows up on film. He might not have the speed of teammate Jarvis Moss, but he's stronger at the point of attack.

Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame: He isn't one of the top-rated defensive ends, but he was a guy who always showed up on Saturday. He plays hard and he has some speed off the corner.

Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State: He played with a swagger, which I like from the quarterback. I also don't think he received great coaching at Michigan State, which stunted his growth. He can make all the throws.

Eric Wright, CB, UNLV: He started his college career at USC but was booted from the team for off-field issues. At UNLV, he played really well last season and should be an outstanding cover corner.

Brandon Meriweather isn't that far behind. (AP)
Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami: Reggie Nelson and LaRon Landry are the top-rated safeties, but this kid is right there with them. He has the speed to play corner, which is why he will make a great free safety.

Steve Smith, WR, USC: Even before he ran a 4.4 at the combine, I really liked this kid. He has a way of getting open. During his time at USC, he was overshadowed by some bigger-name receivers, but he always got his share of catches.

David Harris, LB, Michigan: When I watched the Wolverines play, he was always around the football. He isn't a first-round pick, but here's a bet he plays better than some of the linebackers who will go there.

Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP: He has game-breaking speed, which is why I like him. He didn't always play as fast as his times, but he started to show that last season. He has just barely tapped his potential.

Mario Henderson, T, Florida State: He wasn't well-coached at Florida State, but he has the feet coaches love. He's a little light in the butt, but that can change as he matures. The athleticism is really enticing.

Dallas Sartz, LB, USC: He is a long, lean linebacker who plays with toughness. He might not run that well, but he knows how to find the football. He could be a special-teams demon.

Matt Trannon, TE, Michigan State: He played receiver for the Spartans, but I see him as an NFL tight end. Trannon can be the next Antonio Gates, a basketball player turned tight end. At 6-5, he has the height.

Sabby Piscitelli, S, Oregon State: He is a physical specimen who has run better times than most scouts expected. He's a tough guy who will find a way into the starting lineup for some NFL team.

H.B. Blades, LB, pissburgh: The son of former NFL player Bennie Blades, he doesn't have the size-speed ratio teams want, but he's a football player. When you watched the Panthers, he always made plays.

Tim Crowder, DE, Texas: When the top defensive ends are mentioned, Crowder's name never comes up. It should. He has the size to hold up against the run and the speed to come off the corner.

Josh Beekman was a beast at Boston College. (Getty Images)
Josh Beekman, G, Boston College: He isn't a great athlete, but he has that tenacity you like from a guard. He won't back down from anyone. Tough-guy guards last a long time in the NFL.

Paul Williams, WR, Fresno State: He can fly and has good size. But he didn't always put up big numbers. The feeling here is that he will play better on the next level than he did in college.

Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State: He's a late bloomer who didn't play football until late in his high school career. A JUCO transfer, he didn't start until his senior year at State. But at 315 pounds, he has good quickness. The potential is there.

John Beck, QB, BYU: He has played in a pro-style offense and done so with a keen ability to read coverage and get the ball out on time. Will be a 25-year-old rookie because of a Mormon mission, but this kid has the "it" of playing the quarterback position.

Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State: Rudi
Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn: Garbage, will be hurt and can't catch
Ray McDonald, DE-DT, Florida: Could be a great role player in the correct defense
Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame: Justin Smith type
Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State: Takes forever to develop, then does alright
Eric Wright, CB, UNLV:
Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami: Great player who won't overcome injuries
Steve Smith, WR, USC:
David Harris, LB, Michigan:
Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP:
Mario Henderson, T, Florida State: Starter
Dallas Sartz, LB, USC: Don't know, I'd guess career backup
Matt Trannon, TE, Michigan State: Don't know
Sabby Piscitelli, S, Oregon State: Special teamer and role player for in the box team
H.B. Blades, LB, pissburgh: Dinosaur who only cracks the lineup upon injury to starter. No pro-bowls, plenty of tackles
Tim Crowder, DE, Texas: Starter who also is to be replaced
Josh Beekman, G, Boston College: BC lineman are almost always starting quality
Paul Williams, WR, Fresno State: Don't know
Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State: Don't know
John Beck, QB, BYU: Career Backup

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='467002' date='Apr 4 2007, 06:29 PM']Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State: Rudi
Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn: Garbage, will be hurt and can't catch
Ray McDonald, DE-DT, Florida: Could be a great role player in the correct defense
Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame: Justin Smith type
Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State: Takes forever to develop, then does alright
Eric Wright, CB, UNLV:
Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami: Great player who won't overcome injuries
Steve Smith, WR, USC:
David Harris, LB, Michigan:
Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP:
Mario Henderson, T, Florida State: Starter
Dallas Sartz, LB, USC: Don't know, I'd guess career backup
Matt Trannon, TE, Michigan State: Don't know
Sabby Piscitelli, S, Oregon State: Special teamer and role player for in the box team
H.B. Blades, LB, pissburgh: Dinosaur who only cracks the lineup upon injury to starter. No pro-bowls, plenty of tackles
Tim Crowder, DE, Texas: Starter who also is to be replaced
Josh Beekman, G, Boston College: BC lineman are almost always starting quality
Paul Williams, WR, Fresno State: Don't know
Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State: Don't know
John Beck, QB, BYU: Career Backup[/quote]

Dang Scoutforlife what NFL team are you the GM for? Have you watched any of these kids play?

Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State: He is a move-the-chains type of runner. You won't get a lot of explosive plays, but he knows how to find the cracks and creases to pick up yardage. He plays hard all the time.
[b][color="#FF0000"]He is definitely a Rudi-type player. I think he is more along the lines of T.J. Duckett though.[/color][/b]

Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn: He was bothered by injuries in 2006 and didn't play as well as he did in 2005. But this kid knows how to slash his way to open spots. He should be a second-round steal for some team.
[b][color="#FF0000"]Overrated. Not near aggressive enough and seems frail. 3rd down back.[/color][/b]

Ray McDonald, DE-DT, Florida: At 6-feet-4, 275 pounds, he moved inside in 2006 to play tackle, but he's probably better suited outside. He came back from a serious knee injury in 2005 and had a nice season. He shows up on film. He might not have the speed of teammate Jarvis Moss, but he's stronger at the point of attack.
[b][color="#FF0000"]Will be a good 3-4 end.[/color][/b]

Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame: He isn't one of the top-rated defensive ends, but he was a guy who always showed up on Saturday. He plays hard and he has some speed off the corner.
[b][color="#FF0000"]Kinda overrated since most if not all of his production came against horrible teams. Could also project to a 3-4 OLB. Built like a mack truck.[/color][/b]

Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State: He played with a swagger, which I like from the quarterback. I also don't think he received great coaching at Michigan State, which stunted his growth. He can make all the throws.
[b][color="#FF0000"]Joey Harrington clone.[/color][/b]

Eric Wright, CB, UNLV: He started his college career at USC but was booted from the team for off-field issues. At UNLV, he played really well last season and should be an outstanding cover corner.
[b][color="#FF0000"]When all is said and done, probably the best corner in this draft. Character issues though, so he'll drop.[/color][/b]

Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami: Reggie Nelson and LaRon Landry are the top-rated safeties, but this kid is right there with them. He has the speed to play corner, which is why he will make a great free safety.
[b][color="#FF0000"]A poor man's Ed Reed, and will be a steal for whoever takes him after he slips because of character issues.[/color][/b]

Steve Smith, WR, USC: Even before he ran a 4.4 at the combine, I really liked this kid. He has a way of getting open. During his time at USC, he was overshadowed by some bigger-name receivers, but he always got his share of catches.
[b][color="#FF0000"]Very good #2 receiver[/color][/b]

David Harris, LB, Michigan: When I watched the Wolverines play, he was always around the football. He isn't a first-round pick, but here's a bet he plays better than some of the linebackers who will go there.
[b][color="#FF0000"]Absolute beast against the run. A liability in coverage though. Would be a great 3-4 middle linebacker.[/color][/b]

Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP: He has game-breaking speed, which is why I like him. He didn't always play as fast as his times, but he started to show that last season. He has just barely tapped his potential.
[b][color="#FF0000"]Isn't as fast as advertised, and comes from a system that throws the ball 90% of the time.[/color][/b]

Mario Henderson, T, Florida State: He wasn't well-coached at Florida State, but he has the feet coaches love. He's a little light in the butt, but that can change as he matures. The athleticism is really enticing.
[color="#FF0000"][b]I don't know how they can say he wasn't well coached at FSU. He needs to improve his strength if he wants to be a starter.[/b][/color]

Dallas Sartz, LB, USC: He is a long, lean linebacker who plays with toughness. He might not run that well, but he knows how to find the football. He could be a special-teams demon.
[color="#FF0000"][b]He is not really that tough, more of a linebacker/safety hybrid.[/b][/color]

Matt Trannon, TE, Michigan State: He played receiver for the Spartans, but I see him as an NFL tight end. Trannon can be the next Antonio Gates, a basketball player turned tight end. At 6-5, he has the height.
[color="#FF0000"][b]He's got the height but he would have to bulk up at least 30 pounds to play tight end.[/b][/color]

Sabby Piscitelli, S, Oregon State: He is a physical specimen who has run better times than most scouts expected. He's a tough guy who will find a way into the starting lineup for some NFL team.
[color="#FF0000"][b]He's got the speed, but he is still more of an in the box type safety.[/b][/color]

H.B. Blades, LB, pissburgh: The son of former NFL player Bennie Blades, he doesn't have the size-speed ratio teams want, but he's a football player. When you watched the Panthers, he always made plays.
[color="#FF0000"][b]Doesn't have the measurables but is a tough SOB that always gives his all. Could start in the middle for a long time. He makes me think of Zach Thomas.[/b][/color]

Tim Crowder, DE, Texas: When the top defensive ends are mentioned, Crowder's name never comes up. It should. He has the size to hold up against the run and the speed to come off the corner.
[color="#FF0000"][b]Crowder had arguably the best combine out of all defensive lineman. He's got the size and is one of the most complete players at end. Could probably even play linebacker in the 3-4.[/b][/color]

Josh Beekman, G, Boston College: He isn't a great athlete, but he has that tenacity you like from a guard. He won't back down from anyone. Tough-guy guards last a long time in the NFL.
[color="#FF0000"][b]Is very short for a lineman, but was probably the best one at the Senior Bowl. Will start for someone at center for a long time.[/b][/color]

Paul Williams, WR, Fresno State: He can fly and has good size. But he didn't always put up big numbers. The feeling here is that he will play better on the next level than he did in college.
[b][color="#FF0000"]Has all the tools but has never produced.[/color][/b]

Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State: He's a late bloomer who didn't play football until late in his high school career. A JUCO transfer, he didn't start until his senior year at State. But at 315 pounds, he has good quickness. The potential is there.
[color="#FF0000"][b]Probably the best nose tackle prospect in the draft. Played extremely well in the Senior Bowl and also at the combine.[/b][/color]

John Beck, QB, BYU: He has played in a pro-style offense and done so with a keen ability to read coverage and get the ball out on time. Will be a 25-year-old rookie because of a Mormon mission, but this kid has the "it" of playing the quarterback position.
[color="#FF0000"][b]Actually he did not play in a pro style offense, it was more of a fun and gun style.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Phatcat' post='466798' date='Apr 4 2007, 11:11 AM']Hey draftniks, what do you think of some of the names Prisco throws out?

---------------------------------------------

[u][b]Better-Than Team: 20 who'll be better than 'they' say[/b][/u]
April 2, 2007
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

[b]Slower than Rudi, but a better pass receiver (much, actually). Don't know if he's an every-down back, but I think he could be a good contributor somewhere.[/b]

[b]The times I've seen him play, he looked like a good back. Not sure about his durability, but I think he's got something.[/b]

[b]What helps him is his versatility, since he's played both end and tackle. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals were taking a long look at him.[/b]

[b]Had a good career, but I was never that impressed.[/b]

[b]Very athletic (I believe he used to play in ST coverage when he first played at Michigan State). Was thought to be a possible #1 after his junior year. Has a really nice arm, and is mobile. I think he could possibly be a starter someday.[/b]

[b]Has size and speed, but he's got a bad resume, so the Bengals will steer clear.[/b]

Brandon Meriweather isn't that far behind. (AP)

[b]From what I've seen of Nelson, Landry, and Griffin, Meriweather is the best cover safety... and he's played some CB, too. But he's a knucklehead. Regardless of what he says, his role in the Florida Intl brawl - as captain, no less - tells me all I need to know about his "character."[/b]

[b]He's shot up the charts of late. Some think he might go before Jarrett, which I doubt... but he may go in the second round.[/b]

[b]Being a Michigan alum and fan, I saw him quite a bit. Very good run defender, and he just stones people. Very good tackler. Coverage isn't his strong suit, but he's fast, and he can learn that, I think. Would be happy to see the Bengals take him in round 2, but I doubt they will.[/b]

[b]Have only seen highlights. More of a size/speed guy, from what I've read.[/b]

[b]I guess ol' Pete didn't see that he ran sub-4.6 at 6-5, 240. I've always liked him, and I think he could be a solid LB in the pros. I had him in a mock draft a few months ago. Good player.[/b]

[b]Tests out extremely well - big guy with not an ounce of fat on him. But in the Combine drills, I think he looked a bit stiff changing direction, etc.[/b]

[b]I've seen Pitt play a few times, and this guy was always around the ball. He's short (under 5-11), but he's intense and is a playmaker. Could be a London Fletcher-Baker kind of guy, or as Akili stated, a Zach Thomas type who defies the odds.[/b]

[b]Looked great in the drills, and had a good Senior Bowl. Very athletic guy. But I think his production wasn't near what it could/should have been. For my money, based on what he brought to the table, I'd take his linemate at end, Brian Robison. He was always around the ball, making a play. Had a great Combine, too. All-American in track and field.[/b]

Josh Beekman was a beast at Boston College. (Getty Images)

[b]Have only seen him once in games, and at the Sr. Bowl, he held up pretty well. Kind of your typical BC O-lineman - tough, smart.[/b]

[b]Looked good at the Combine. Big arm.[/b][/quote]

Guest fredtoast
[i]H.B. Blades, LB, pissburgh: The son of former NFL player Bennie Blades, he doesn't have the size-speed ratio teams want, but he's a football player. When you watched the Panthers, he always made plays.

[b]I've seen Pitt play a few times,[/b] and this guy was always around the ball. He's short (under 5-11), but he's intense and is a playmaker. Could be a London Fletcher-Baker kind of guy, or as Akili stated, a Zach Thomas type who defies the odds.[/i]

Hey, Tex, what did you think of Pitt's other star LB, Clint Sessions? He had 101 tkls, 14 TFL, and 5 FF in '06. Those are pretty impressive numbers, and he also looked pretty good at Pitt's Pro Day (5'11", 236, 4.57 forty, 4.16 short shuttle, and 36 Bench reps). 36 bench reps is pretty amazing for a guy that size.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='468835' date='Apr 9 2007, 12:59 PM']Hey, Tex, what did you think of Pitt's other star LB, Clint Sessions? He had 101 tkls, 14 TFL, and 5 FF in '06. Those are pretty impressive numbers, and he also looked pretty good at Pitt's Pro Day (5'11", 236, 4.57 forty, 4.16 short shuttle, and 36 Bench reps). 36 bench reps is pretty amazing for a guy that size.[/quote]

Stature, speed, strength, and production (numbers) wise the guy sounds like a college version of London Fletcher.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='468835' date='Apr 9 2007, 11:59 AM'][i]H.B. Blades, LB, pissburgh: The son of former NFL player Bennie Blades, he doesn't have the size-speed ratio teams want, but he's a football player. When you watched the Panthers, he always made plays.

[b]I've seen Pitt play a few times,[/b] and this guy was always around the ball. He's short (under 5-11), but he's intense and is a playmaker. Could be a London Fletcher-Baker kind of guy, or as Akili stated, a Zach Thomas type who defies the odds.[/i]

Hey, Tex, what did you think of Pitt's other star LB, Clint Sessions? He had 101 tkls, 14 TFL, and 5 FF in '06. Those are pretty impressive numbers, and he also looked pretty good at Pitt's Pro Day (5'11", 236, 4.57 forty, 4.16 short shuttle, and 36 Bench reps). 36 bench reps is pretty amazing for a guy that size.[/quote]

He's like Blades in that he's short, but he hits hard. Played on the strong side. Because he was in the middle, Blades was everywhere, so he kinda jumped out at you, and the others didn't stand out as much.

Sessions had a great workout, for sure. Will probably be a good ST player, even if he doesn't play from scrimmage much.

Archived