***Official UC Basketball Thread***

Khatmandude

6'8" 255 lbs Yancy Gates committed (verballed) to UC and is going to be holding a press conference to announce he will be playing for Mick Cronin. He's been rated anywhere from 17th best to 24th best player in the country in his class. A little description of him from a NBA draft site:

[quote]“Yancy chose Cincinnati over Indiana and Georgetown,” Duncan said. “He is a great commitment for UC, and will be huge in Mick Cronin bringing the program back up to the prominence that Bob Huggins had it at in years past.”

"It is going to be downright scary how good Yancy can become, if he buys into Coach Cronin’s system at UC and utilizes his immense physical abilities more effectively in college."

"Gates has the ability to beat more traditional power forwards off of the dribble from the outside with his remarkable quickness for a player with such freakish strength. He can keep defenders honest with his ability to hit the three, but can also kill you inside of the paint with his ability to jump through the roof and his feathery soft touch. The skill set that he possesses is not matched by many in his class, and his physical attributes can be matched by only a select few."

"Draft fans should surely keep an eye on Gates, as he has all of the physical traits that NBA teams are looking for in a power forward, to go along with the raw skills on the perimeter that truly make him a special player potentially. If Yancy is able to play consistently once he hit’s the Big East and continues to develop at merely an average rate, it will be awfully surprising not to see him in NBA jersey by the time it is all said and done."[/quote]

--This commitment along with Darnell Wilkes (6'8" --66th best player) and the Bearcats have the makings of a top 10 recruiting class.

--Also, 7 footer Anthony McClaine SHOULD be committing very soon to play this upcoming year!!! Hate to call this a done deal for obvious reasons, but this commitment SHOULD come soon as UCONN has given up recruiting him pretty much and the Hartford Courant paper states that McClaine was the Huskies' top recruiting target up until recently when they found out he would be commiting to a different school. UC and UCONN were his final 2 choices!
[url="http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hc-ucmen0414.artapr14,0,5322472.story?coll=hc-headlines-huskymen"]http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husk...dlines-huskymen[/url]

[quote name='whodey24k' post='472948' date='Apr 16 2007, 02:48 PM']cronin is proving to be a great recruiter. Hopefully he becomes a better coach.[/quote]

He's already proven that he's a great recruiter since back in his assistant days with UC and Louisville. I also hope he becomes a better coach but he's learned from 2 of the best so he's got a good foundation.

On a side, there is a player by the name of Dee Bost who will most likely commit to UC if he's offered a scholarship. I think he has to reclassify as 2008 for some reason and may attend a prep school in 2007 but he's a 6'2" guard who "has ACC talent". It would be nice to get him, he's a nice player!

Mick's 2008 class will be highly regarded nationally..... watch ;)

[quote name='whodey24k' post='472948' date='Apr 16 2007, 01:18 PM']cronin is proving to be a great recruiter. [b]Hopefully he becomes a better coach[/b].[/quote]

???

[quote name='IKOTA' post='474183' date='Apr 18 2007, 02:35 PM']Anthony McClaine will be a Bearcat!!! I think it will be official soon, maybe today or tomorrow. Georgetown made a late push but in the end Mick got the job done.[/quote]

Source?

[quote name='Jason' post='474188' date='Apr 18 2007, 04:12 PM']???
Source?[/quote]

Can't divulge but it is a reliable source. I hate it when other people do that but I will be that guy this time. Sorry. Take it for what its worth without a source for now.

Also, apparently Yancy Gates' HS coach Walt McBride said that Ohio State committee (verbal) BJ Mullen said he would decommitt and follow Yancy to UC. Mullen is a top 10 player in 2008 but I don't believe he will decommitt based on the information available. BUT, the coach said it on radio on Lance McAllister's show so there must be something that caused him to say that. Also, Mullen and Gates played (AAU?) ball together. Guess this one will just have to play out before we know more.

I am very happy about the McClaine commitment though.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='474197' date='Apr 18 2007, 02:59 PM']Can't divulge but it is a reliable source. I hate it when other people do that but I will be that guy this time. Sorry. Take it for what its worth without a source for now.

Also, apparently Yancy Gates' HS coach Walt McBride said that Ohio State committee (verbal) BJ Mullen said he would decommitt and follow Yancy to UC. Mullen is a top 10 player in 2008 but I don't believe he will decommitt based on the information available. BUT, the coach said it on radio on Lance McAllister's show so there must be something that caused him to say that. Also, Mullen and Gates played (AAU?) ball together. Guess this one will just have to play out before we know more.

I am very happy about the McClaine commitment though.[/quote]

So this is someone you know, and not a website/media report?

[quote name='Jason' post='474202' date='Apr 18 2007, 04:37 PM']So this is [b]someone you know[/b], and not a website/media report?[/quote]

Yes, but there are websites that are reporting it as well but nothing is official right now. The information I have is that he SHOULD be on campus tomorrow. Even with all this happening, I still have some questions regarding his ACT which he just took this past Saturday. He has to get a passing score in order to be eligible so there are still some questions surrounding this whole situation. Also, UC is at its scholarship limit already so someone will have to come off scholarship. Things should clear themselves up in the next couple of days.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='474235' date='Apr 18 2007, 03:55 PM']Yes, but there are websites that are reporting it as well but nothing is official right now. The information I have is that he SHOULD be on campus tomorrow. Even with all this happening, I still have some questions regarding his ACT which he just took this past Saturday. He has to get a passing score in order to be eligible so there are still some questions surrounding this whole situation. Also, UC is at its scholarship limit already [b]so someone will have to come off scholarship[/b]. Things should clear themselves up in the next couple of days.[/quote]

As bad as UC was this past season, I don't have a problem with that.

[quote name='Jason' post='474246' date='Apr 18 2007, 05:58 PM']As bad as UC was this past season, I don't have a problem with that.[/quote]

There's some ethics questions that arise when you have this sort of situation though unless it was made clear to last year's incoming class or a member of that class that their scholarship may be taken away the following year. Mick had to put together a team in a matter of a couple of months so the scenario where the players were informed of the scholarship situation cannot be ruled out. Also, someone could possibly go on academic scholarship and Tim Crowell would be the prime candidate to do that............if not, then pull a Jim Calhoun and just release him from the scholarship :1violin:

[quote]Wednesday, April 18, 2007

[b]More on McClain :[/b]
I've just been told by a source that Anthony McClain is on his way to Cincinnati. He will be here by tonight, and it looks like he'll be doing "recruiting visit" stuff tomorrow. Wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see him commit/sign his letter of intent tomorrow. But, as I always caution, there's never anything set in stone until he signs his name on the dotted line. I do know, though, the coaching staff is very confident it'll get McClain.[/quote]
[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincybearcats/2007/04/more-on-mcclain.asp"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincy...-on-mcclain.asp[/url]

I do emphasize the same thing as this blogger that nothing is set in stone until he signs his name on the dotted line but everything I have heard so far is coming true so I am pretty happy.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='474280' date='Apr 18 2007, 05:06 PM'][url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincybearcats/2007/04/more-on-mcclain.asp"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincy...-on-mcclain.asp[/url]

I do emphasize the same thing as this blogger that nothing is set in stone until he signs his name on the dotted line but everything I have heard so far is coming true so I am pretty happy.[/quote]

According to Skinny on Homer, it is now official.

:dance: :thumbsup:

Anthony McClaine - 6'11" or 7 foot, depending on which day you catch him.

-6th best center prospect in the class of 2007
-Rated #41 to #51 depending on which scouting source you look at
-Potentially dominate on the defensive end, offense needs some work but is serviceable on that end
-Picked UC over UCONN, Georgetown, Florida and Tennessee
-Runs the floor extremely well for man his height
-His HS coach loves Mick Cronin and had a big part in his recruitment process
-Nicknamed "Biggie"

:dance:

Any guesses as to the starting lineup next year? I think that with so many new faces, we will see multiple lineups in preseason and early on in the regular season but when it's all settled, I think the most successful one will be:

PG: Vaughn (even though he's not really a PG)
SG: Mitchell w/ Gentry first off bench
SF: Williamson or Mike Williams
PF: Mike Williams or Adam H
C: McClaine

Nice job Mick!

[quote name='IKOTA' post='474745' date='Apr 19 2007, 01:17 PM']Anthony McClaine - 6'11" or 7 foot, depending on which day you catch him.

-6th best center prospect in the class of 2007
-Rated #41 to #51 depending on which scouting source you look at
-Potentially dominate on the defensive end, offense needs some work but is serviceable on that end
-Picked UC over UCONN, Georgetown, Florida and Tennessee
-Runs the floor extremely well for man his height
-His HS coach loves Mick Cronin and had a big part in his recruitment process
-Nicknamed "Biggie"

:dance:

Any guesses as to the starting lineup next year? I think that with so many new faces, we will see multiple lineups in preseason and early on in the regular season but when it's all settled, I think the most successful one will be:

PG: Vaughn (even though he's not really a PG)
SG: Mitchell w/ Gentry first off bench
SF: Williamson or Mike Williams
PF: Mike Williams or Adam H
C: McClaine

Nice job Mick![/quote]

ESPN's recruiting board has him the #16 center, and 103 overall.

I think Adam H may be the starting C next year (at least to start the year), with McClain rotating in, and occasionally Adam and Anthony will be on the floor simultaneously.

[quote name='Jason' post='474762' date='Apr 19 2007, 03:10 PM']ESPN's recruiting board has him the #16 center, and 103 overall.

I think Adam H may be the starting C next year (at least to start the year), with McClain rotating in, and occasionally Adam and Anthony will be on the floor simultaneously.[/quote]

ESPN has proven in the past to be an unworthy source to trust when it comes to player rankings. Scout, Rivals, Hoop Scoop etc... all have him rated MUCH higher and the schools who were recruiting him give credibility to the higher rating on him. Regardless, he's a damn good signing by Mick and he staff.

As for starting at C, it doesn't matter who starts...both will see significant playing time this year. Can't wait till the season starts!

[quote name='IKOTA' post='474778' date='Apr 19 2007, 02:17 PM']ESPN has proven in the past to be an unworthy source to trust when it comes to player rankings. Scout, Rivals, Hoop Scoop etc... all have him rated MUCH higher and the schools who were recruiting him give credibility to the higher rating on him. Regardless, he's a damn good signing by Mick and he staff.

As for starting at C, it doesn't matter who starts...both will see significant playing time this year. [b]Can't wait till the season starts![/b][/quote]

Ditto.

As I had mentioned earlier, UC was already at its scholarship limit at 13 before they signed McClaine, who put them at one above the max allowance. Well, that problem is no longer one, as Tim Crowell is gone. He will transfer to a Div II school. Here is what he had to say:

From the UC release:

[quote]"I have decided to transfer to a Division II school for my senior season," said Crowell. "I had a great experience as a Bearcat and love my teammates. I wish the team great success next year and want to thank the people of Cincinnati for their kindness; I have really loved my time here."[/quote]

Guest Master Shake
Sucks to see Crowell go... I know he's probably the least talented guy on the squad, but he played hard and was our only true point guard.

Vaughn and Warren (and hopefully Bishop) will be adequate at point and are all better scorers, but I think there will be many times next season when we'll miss the playmaking that Crowell would have brought.

Hopefully this means the staff is confident that Jason Henry will get eligible, because we sorely need a quality starter at 2-guard (Gentry and Warren should be coming off the bench, not starting, on a decent team, and Davis and Mitchell are supposedly not as "ready" as Henry).

[quote name='Master Shake' post='474888' date='Apr 19 2007, 07:12 PM']Sucks to see Crowell go... I know he's probably the least talented guy on the squad, but he played hard and was our only true point guard.

Vaughn and Warren (and hopefully Bishop) will be adequate at point and are all better scorers, but I think there will be many times next season when we'll miss the playmaking that Crowell would have brought.

Hopefully this means the staff is confident that Jason Henry will get eligible, because we sorely need a quality starter at 2-guard (Gentry and Warren should be coming off the bench, not starting, on a decent team, and Davis and Mitchell are supposedly not as "ready" as Henry).[/quote]

Wow, I had a very long reply to your post but lost it when someone sent me a PM. I will try to recreate the original masterpiece...

Certainly agree that Crowell was least talented and therefore I dont think we miss him at all. He was never a playmaker so his playmaking abilities cannot be missed IMO. I will miss his attitutude and willingness to play defense though.

As for the scorers you mentioned, I don't consider Warren a scorer at all, but I see what you are trying to say that he is a better scorer than Crowell. Also, good point about Bishop being able to run point as he has been playing PG in HS this year. Also, Henry if eligible has the ability to run the point from his forward position allowing Vaughn and maybe Mitchell or Davis to be in the game for their scoring. Henry's coach (ex UC player Rodney Crawford) said that Henry is working very hard on his academics in order to be eligible this upcoming year so I will take an optimistic approach towards him. Henry is 6'7" but cannot shoot it too well; I dont think, so I don't know about him playing the 2. The quality starter you seek at the 2 could come in the form of Alvin Mitchell who I think will surprise alot of people and be an impact player for the Cats once he gets used to the college game. The guy is a scorer.

Definitely agree that Warren and Gentry should not be starting for a team if that team has any postseason aspirations. They could be good backups though and could provide energy on the defensive end. Larry Davis could surprise some people also as he has been described as a more athletic Field Williams, but he is coming off of an ACL injury so I don't know if it's fair to have any expectations of him right now.

I think the team looks like:
PG-Vaughn, Warren, Bishop
SG-Mitchell, Gentry, Davis, Miller
SF-Williamson, Henry, Bishop
PF-Williams, Sikes, Belton, Williamson, Adam H
C-Adam H, McClain (interchangeable really), Belton,

Or something like that at least..........I think there will be multiple lineups that Mick tries in trying to determine what will work best. Alot of newcomers this upcoming year.

BTW, 2007 recruiting class is being ranked in the top 25 nationally and 2008 as the beginnings of a top 10 class with Wilkes and Gates as the foundation. Look for another PG and a SG in 2008 along with another C as the primary focus in recruiting. Also, I'm trying to find out more about the whole BJ Mullen rumor as he is a top 10 player nationally who has committed to OSU verbally. He's a 7 footer as well.

All the letters of intent that Cronin was waiting for have been received ......... :headbang:

[url="http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042007aac.html"]http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl.../042007aac.html[/url]

[quote]April 20, 2007

CINCINNATI, Ohio. - University of Cincinnati men's basketball coach Mick Cronin announced today (April 20) that Jason Henry (Cincinnati, OH/Harmony Community), Anthony McClain (Fort Washington, MD/National Christian Academy) and Alvin Mitchell (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/Cardinal Gibbons) have signed National Letters of Intent with the Bearcats. Henry, a 6-7 small forward/guard, McClain, a 6-11 center, and Mitchell, a 6-5 small forward, will be eligible to play the 2007-08 season for UC.

Henry, who played locally last season at the Harmony Community School for Rodney Crawford, put up 21 points and six rebounds a night. Henry is ranked as the No. 17 small forward and No. 69 player overall by Scout.com.

"Jason is a multi-talent basketball player," says Cronin. "At 6-7, he has great ball skills and has all the tools to become a great player. He will need to get a little stronger but he has all the natural ability to be outstanding. I look forward to working with him and we are happy he decided to become a Bearcat."

One of the biggest and most talented players available in the late signing period, McClain will be an offensive and defensive presence for the Bearcats in the lane. Last season, he averaged 13 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots per game playing for coach Trevor Brown at the National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Md. McClain is the No. 6 center in the country according to Rivals.com and was among the top 100 players.

"Anthony is a great kid," said Cronin. "We are really excited to have him join the program. Obviously, we needed to add size to the team and he is almost 7-0 without shoes. Most importantly, he plays big as a shot blocker. I look forward to helping Anthony grow as a person and a player. We are excited to have him join our family."

As a senior, Mitchell averaged 33.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, and 6.2 assists while playing for head coach Buddy Pressley and Cardinal Gibbons High School. There he led the Chiefs to a 26-4 record and a place in the state semifinals. His accomplishments on the floor earned Mitchell Florida's Class 4A Player of the Year honor, first-team all-state and first-team all-Broward County accolades. Mitchell is considered the No. 26 small forward prospect by Scout.com.

"Alvin is an explosive guard that can score the ball from beyond the arc as well as take it to the basket with authority," said Cronin. "A big-time talent with a world of potential, he comes from a great high school program - Cardinal-Gibbons - and is coached by one of the best in the business, Buddy Pressely. We are happy to have Alvin join the Bearcat family."

Henry, McClain, and Mitchell will join Kenny Belton (Greensboro, NC/Dudley), Rashad Bishop (Newark, NJ/St. Benedict's Prep), and Larry Davis (Houston, TX/Alief-Hastings) who signed with UC during the early signing period in November.[/quote]

Thanks Jaime.

I'm going to get some tapes of Alvin Mitchell as people are really hyping him up and believe he will be an impact Freshman this upcoming year. Apparently he didn't play too much of AAU ball so was really under the radar. Florida was believed to be really interested in him until their primary recruiting focus at the SG signed with them but Mitchell could be better. Can't wait for the season!

Our recruiting class is ranked 19th for the upcoming season!

That does count Texas transfer Mike Williams, but not Adam H. I wonder where it would rank if you add him since he didn't play last season.

[url="http://collegehoopsupdate.com/html/recruiting_class_07-08.php#cincinnati"]http://collegehoopsupdate.com/html/recruit....php#cincinnati[/url]