video problem

I have just recently been running into some serious video problems. I have had a problem with my monitor going totally blank and my PC locking up every now and again. But since two days ago it has gotten really bad. I cannot even hardly boot my computer anymore without the screen going out. I know part of my problem is that I have a 250 watt power supply and I recently bought a Geforce 6800gt that says it requires min of a 500 watt power supply. I cant figure out if my power supply is going bad or I have another problem. I have also tried removing power from components I dont need and still have the same problem.

If I need a new power supply I would like to know if its possible to find one that will still power my current system and if I upgrade it will work for it. My system now is running an AGP video card, SDram, and IDE drives. I plan on putting together a new PC soon with a dual core processor, PCI express, and SATA hard drives.

Thanks for any help.

power supply could very well be the issue. new vid cards are like a separate pc with the power they require...

Try CompUSA if there is one near you. They had some great sales when I was in Cincy a few weeks back. As a recommendation, Antec makes a great power supply. The generic 500w that they sell there has also served me well in a different pc, fwiw.

Archived