Senate Opens ANWR

Jason

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='jza10304' date='Sep 1 2005, 05:23 PM']It'll also take about 7 years to get a drop of oil out of there.  What about the oil being demanded by our troops?
[right][post="140118"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

if we would have started when it was first produced, we would be 10 years into the project in anwr... we would be in a hell of a lot better shape than we are now... war or not...

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='#22' date='Sep 2 2005, 01:47 AM']This picture came from Georgia about 4 days ago and is an example of why capitalism doesn't work as well as advertised.

Corporations were charging all that they could, because they knew that people either paid 6$/Gallon, or had to stay in New Orleans, Mississippi, or Alabama.

Obviously, making a buck is more important than people's well-being or safety to these people.
[right][post="140451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

nothing always works... the reason they pumped up prices is a combination of price gouging and rumors (not sure if they were true or not) that the gas was in very short supply...

this is an extreme case, but gas is over $3.00 pretty much acrossed america...

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 2 2005, 12:55 AM']I'm still against drilling in Alaska and I'm about to pay out my ass once I start commuting again to school in about a week.
[right][post="140416"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i take it, its an environmental issue, but considering that we are depending on the middle east to get our oil, wouldn't it be better if we pumped our own oil, w/ the best regulations and controls in the world?

i realize that you probably want to go w/ alternative options of energy, but that is the long term solution... we need a short (er) term solution... for a decade or so, we're screwed either way right now though...

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 3 2005, 03:26 AM']better than screwing certain places up forever.
[right][post="141276"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

the middle east is pumping out oil at maximum capicity... wouldn't it be more environmental clean to have the country w/ the best epa standards in the world, to do it, instead of the saudis, who's top priority isn't safety, but money??

plus, we're talking about anwr, a region in alaska that is barely populated at all.. the carabous (sp?) were supposed to be hurt by the pipes we put in the past... instead, they have flurished...

i do have a question for you though dan... do you support underwater drilling?

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='#22' date='Sep 3 2005, 01:55 PM']Proove that we have the best Environmental Standards in the Country.
you [b]have[/b] to stop making these stupid statements if you want to be taken seriously
[right][post="141557"][/post][/right][/quote]

i don't know for a fact that we do... i'd say that canada probably does a pretty good job of pumping out oil cleanly... but i'd like our chances against china, saudi arabia, venezuela, etc., that are doing most of all the pumping right now...

i'll take your post as constructive critism and i will try to tone down w/ throwing around things that i can't prove... but like i said, i'd bet that we could and/or would do a hell of alot better than most of who we're getting our oil from right now... and that is b/c we debate whether or not we should do it, and if we ever do decide to do it, the environmentalists will be up their ass to do it right... another reason that democracy rules!! :)

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='#22' date='Sep 4 2005, 03:26 AM']hahaha. Of course we have the best in the country.

we ARE the country.
I feel sooooo stupid...
[right][post="141949"][/post][/right][/quote]

i noticed that... :lol:

but i knew what you meant...

Pretty much anything you can make from oil you can make from plants... Including plastic.

Anyway... By the time they will be able to use this demand will be so high due to China and India's increased demand that it will be just a drop in the bucket...

And it won't last long either... Why risk forever destroying something just for some band-aid solution that isn't going to make much of an impact?

At some point we will be FORCED to get off petroleum.. The question is - Do we do it now, so we can make an easy transistion?? Or do we wait until the last minute while we are facing economic collapse due to soaring petroleum prices?

Archived