AFC North Overview

Found this on yahoo sports. Just something to read and kill time. Here is the link.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_361857_117&prov=citadel&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cita...tadel&type=lgns[/url]

WHO DEY!!!

[quote name='Nati Ice' date='Mar 21 2005, 06:35 PM']neato
"the Bengals lack depth at running back." <--wow they can suck me
[right][post="65516"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Guest mongoloido
I'd swear holding on to what we had last year has already made us a stronger team in the division. These guys love to blow smoke up the Raven's asses, but give me a break. They lost a defensive coordinator, a defensive assistant, one of their best linebackers (their best, in my opinion. ray is showing signs of slowing down. he's more motivator than intimidator now), and they've lost their 3-4 defense. Sure Rolle is an upgrade over Baxter, but there's way more subtraction than addition on that side of the ball. As for their offense, I'm not sold on Derrick Mason turning Boller and that offense into the Dream Team. He's a fine receiver, but he had a fantastic QB throwing to him. McNair was also a scrambling beast that simply bought his receivers enough time to get open, more often than not. Boller can't buy his receivers time to get open. He also can't thread any needles. I don't believe Mason will be the T.O. of this year's free agency.

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Mar 21 2005, 04:00 PM']I'd swear holding on to what we had last year has already made us a stronger team in the division. These guys love to blow smoke up the Raven's asses, but give me a break. They lost a defensive coordinator, a defensive assistant, one of their best linebackers (their best, in my opinion. ray is showing signs of slowing down. he's more motivator than intimidator now), and they've lost their 3-4 defense. Sure Rolle is an upgrade over Baxter, but there's way more subtraction than addition on that side of the ball. As for their offense, I'm not sold on Derrick Mason turning Boller and that offense into the Dream Team. He's a fine receiver, but he had a fantastic QB throwing to him. McNair was also a scrambling beast that simply bought his receivers enough time to get open, more often than not. Boller can't buy his receivers time to get open. He also can't thread any needles. I don't believe Mason will be the T.O. of this year's free agency.
[right][post="65531"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I agree.....I'm tired of reading about how the ravens are only a few key players away from the big dance. What about us? Our offense is the best and the most balanced in this division, I just don't know why anybody (media or sports announcers) won't go on a limb and say it.

WHO DEY!!!

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Mar 21 2005, 07:00 PM']I'd swear holding on to what we had last year has already made us a stronger team in the division. These guys love to blow smoke up the Raven's asses, but give me a break. They lost a defensive coordinator, a defensive assistant, one of their best linebackers (their best, in my opinion. ray is showing signs of slowing down. he's more motivator than intimidator now), and they've lost their 3-4 defense. Sure Rolle is an upgrade over Baxter, but there's way more subtraction than addition on that side of the ball. As for their offense, I'm not sold on Derrick Mason turning Boller and that offense into the Dream Team. He's a fine receiver, but he had a fantastic QB throwing to him. McNair was also a scrambling beast that simply bought his receivers enough time to get open, more often than not. Boller can't buy his receivers time to get open. He also can't thread any needles. I don't believe Mason will be the T.O. of this year's free agency.

I agree...I'm not even so sure that the Ravens HAVE a championship-calibre defense anymore...2000 is a long time ago, in the NFL.

I think as far as beating the Ravens goes, it will come down to being able to stop Jamal Lewis this year. We had the big victory in Baltimore, but...it wasn't the same thing.

The Steelers were looted this year, and I can't see them possibly repeating as division champs. It wouldn't surprise me to see them drop back to 7-9 or 8-8. [i][Cedrick Wilson is their vertical threat??][/i]

The Browns...Well...Their future looks less grim, but that will take a year to translate into something.

BZ

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Mar 21 2005, 06:00 PM']I'd swear holding on to what we had last year has already made us a stronger team in the division. These guys love to blow smoke up the Raven's asses, but give me a break. They lost a defensive coordinator, a defensive assistant, one of their best linebackers (their best, in my opinion. ray is showing signs of slowing down. he's more motivator than intimidator now), and they've lost their 3-4 defense. Sure Rolle is an upgrade over Baxter, but there's way more subtraction than addition on that side of the ball. As for their offense, I'm not sold on Derrick Mason turning Boller and that offense into the Dream Team. He's a fine receiver, but he had a fantastic QB throwing to him. McNair was also a scrambling beast that simply bought his receivers enough time to get open, more often than not. Boller can't buy his receivers time to get open. He also can't thread any needles. I don't believe Mason will be the T.O. of this year's free agency.
Great post!

It is noteworthy that you didn't even mention the Browns, as they're not worth mentioning.

I agree, the Ravens have lost as much as they've gained. I'm sure Mason with Heap's presence and Jamal's running threat will win them some games, but I don't see them as much improved on the offensive side of the ball. Their defense....well, wait and see. I agree that Ray Lewis' on the field contributions may be diminishing, but they are still a very good defense.

As for the Steelers, well...they still have solid defense, a good offensive line, good RB's and a "dependable" QB. Unfortunately for them, when Rothlisberger has to bail them out with his arm (which is bad enough for them already), that Ward seems to be their only legit threat at WR.

I still say that so far, we are looking pretty good when stacked up against our division rivals, especially with our up and coming offense virtually intact from last season, which only looks to duplicate their success of the last 8 games of last season over the course of the [i]entire[/i] 2005 season...

The defense I think will take care of itself...another camp, more strength/conditioning, return from injury, a couple FA's, couple draft picks, more comfort with Marvin's scheme...it all is looking up.

We should win our division in a hard-fought, triumphant season....GO BENGALS!

God the offseason blows....

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Bunghole' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:23 PM']...God the offseason blows....
[right][post="65606"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Rgr. Get yer butt over to my post in the anything but bengals and reds forum. I want beer, football, and go-bengalers at least once this off season...

Guest IndianaBengal

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Mar 21 2005, 07:00 PM']I'd swear holding on to what we had last year has already made us a stronger team in the division. These guys love to blow smoke up the Raven's asses, but give me a break. They lost a defensive coordinator, a defensive assistant, one of their best linebackers (their best, in my opinion. ray is showing signs of slowing down. he's more motivator than intimidator now), and they've lost their 3-4 defense. Sure Rolle is an upgrade over Baxter, but there's way more subtraction than addition on that side of the ball. As for their offense, I'm not sold on Derrick Mason turning Boller and that offense into the Dream Team. He's a fine receiver, but he had a fantastic QB throwing to him. McNair was also a scrambling beast that simply bought his receivers enough time to get open, more often than not. Boller can't buy his receivers time to get open. He also can't thread any needles. I don't believe Mason will be the T.O. of this year's free agency.
[right][post="65531"][/post][/right][/quote]

I'd just like to take a minute and nominate this post as post of the day!! :crazy:

Can I get a ahhhh-men? :lol: :lol:

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Offensively, the Bengals have the key pieces in place. They have dynamic presence at quarterback, a talented running back, a pair of high-quality receivers and a tough veteran offensive line.[/quote]

That line says it all [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/36.gif[/img]

Unless the Browns face the facts and get a QB, they will always be a sub .500 team. Trent Dilfer is obviously not the answer. The Ravens seem like a solid team this year along with the Steelers. THe Steelers will never repeat the season they had last year. I think The Division is a toss up b/t Bengals and Steelers with the Ravens behind. Between the Bengals and Steelers, whoever loses the division will get the wildcard. I think we are a sure bet for the playoffs IF AND ONLY IF Bryan Robinson is the run stuffer as advertised and Webster comes back healthy. I believe Webster will make the 100% recovery while we will address the SS postion in the draft (come on Josh Bullocks of Nebraska). Herring will start opposite Madieu until Bullocks grasped the defense which will be around game 11-12.

Guest mongoloido
The Browns seem to be mirroring the old Bengals a bit. Blake was not getting it done, but stuck around like Couch did. Then, it was just a spiral of QBs that weren't very good, and never got the time needed to settle in anyway.

Archived