Trading Down

The bengals need to trade down and pick up some extra picks. Marvin's philosophy is to build through the draft, and it would just make sense for him to want to aquire more picks.

Who should they trade with, what should they get in return, and why would the other team accept?

My idea is to swap first rounders with Philly, in return for a third round and fourth round pick. Philly has thirteen freakin draft picks this year, One 1st, Two 2nd, Two 3rd, One 4th, Three 5th, One 6th, and Three 7th. I think Philly makes this trade because they have to get a receiver to compliment TO, and the elite receiver they desire may not be there at 31.

Bengals get: 1(31), 3(77), 4(132)

Eagles get: 1(17)

Discuss.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='Apr 3 2005, 06:38 PM']The bengals need to trade down and pick up some extra picks. Marvin's philosophy is to build through the draft, and it would just make sense for him to want to aquire more picks.

Who should they trade with, what should they get in return, and why would the other team accept?

My idea is to swap first rounders with Philly, in return for a third round and fourth round pick. Philly has thirteen freakin draft picks this year, One 1st, Two 2nd, Two 3rd, One 4th, Three 5th, One 6th, and Three 7th. I think Philly makes this trade because they have to get a receiver to compliment TO, and the elite receiver they desire may not be there at 31.

Bengals get: 1(31), 3(77), 4(132)                                   

Eagles get: 1(17)
Discuss.
[right][post="71457"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Let's do it. It makes a lot of sense.

I think when you use the "Draft Chart", trading down that far would demand equivalent of getting the #31 and #35 for Philly.

Now THAT is really what we need...And it's a trade I've been looking for since 3 months ago.

I guess it all depends on how bad Philly wants to move up. They could easily grab Williamson or Clayton at #17...And they might even want Johnson.

BZ

Guest BengalBacker
The problem with trading down, is you only have so many roster spots. Do we need more than 7 new rookies on the team? They would have to replace someone. The last two years we were in overhaul mode. I think we're tweaking now. I think it just depends on who's left on the board when it's our turn to pick, and what we're offered. It might even be smart to trade up at some point.

Guest OzBengal
Yeah Im not keen on trading down again. We could have got a stud d-lineman if we had stayed at #17 last year: Will Smith, Kenechi Udeze or Wilfork. We added lots of players last year by trading down. We are loaded with young players, I would rather go for quality than quantity again.

well the gems of the draft are in pics 20-45, With maybe a few slipping down.

I honestly feel that if we trade down we try to get 2 picks in the range.

#17 for #31 and #35.

I mean last year we only traded 7 spots for deltha oneal...if were trading down 14 spots......a high 2nd round pick is what our compensation should be. maybe with alater 5th or 5th round pick added in on top.

Honestly PHI is stacked, and quite honeslty if i was the coach, I'd keep my picks.. they're the best picks IMO, when u have a great team, you don;t have to invest a lot of money in an unproven player cause they're later picks.... and U'll be getting 13 of em, that's a hell of a lot of talent they can get.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='turningpoint' date='Apr 3 2005, 11:15 PM']well the gems of the draft are in pics 20-45, With maybe a few slipping down.
I honestly feel that if we trade down we try to get 2 picks in the range.
#17 for #31 and #35.
I mean last year we only traded 7 spots for deltha oneal...if were trading down 14 spots......a high 2nd round pick is what our compensation should be. maybe with alater 5th or 5th round pick added in on top.
Honestly PHI is stacked, and quite honeslty if i was the coach, I'd keep my picks.. they're  the best picks IMO, when u have a great team, you don;t have to invest a lot of money in an unproven player cause they're later picks.... and U'll be getting 13 of em, that's a hell of a lot of talent they can get.
[right][post="71528"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
But where is Philly going to find roster spots for 13 rookies?

this is what nfldraftcountdown.com had to say about the eagles draft pick[quote]In recent years the Eagles have been very proactive when it comes to the draft, not afraid to trade up for a specific player they have targeted. That will likely be the case again this year since they have so many choices, all of which can't possibly make their roster. When all is said and done look for them to package a number of picks and move up for a shot at someone like Travis Johnson since that is a position they are looking at considering Corey Simon's long-term future with the team is in doubt.[/quote][url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html"]http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html[/url]
The eagles may be targeting Travis Johnson or Troy Williamson, both should be available when the bengals pick... IMO there aren't any must have players in the middle of rnd 1 (including Thomas Davis, not interchangeable enough), i'd rather see them trade down and stockpile more "marvin" players (ie. madieu williams, landon johnson).

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Apr 4 2005, 12:19 AM']But where is Philly going to find roster spots for 13 rookies?
[right][post="71529"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

they dont have 2 they can cut em, or cut some high tendered vets, making more money and not playinng to par of the rookies....

Has to be really nice to have so many options, No pressure.

Trading down is fine with me but not at the #31 where Philly is or anybody "THAT" low.

In my opinion, I wouldn't want to trade down any further than, say, #'s 24-26.

My reasoning is that we stay around and get the SS were looking for (T. Davis), who may still be on the board at that time, and pick up an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd, and stay where we are in those rounds.

Just my opinion.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='turningpoint' date='Apr 4 2005, 10:07 AM']they dont have 2 they can cut em, or cut some high tendered vets, making more money and not playinng to par of the rookies....

Has to be really nice to have so many options, No pressure.
[right][post="71568"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

So they should keep all those draft picks, then cut half of them instead of trading up to get better players who will make the team? Any rookies that any team keeps will be replacing a vet.

Guest BlackJesus
[b]I am pretty sure that Marvin isn't staying at 17.... I think he could move up for a Rolle or Derrick Johnson or move back for a Spencer .....[/b]

Guest BlackJesus
[color="blue"]As for this trade I would agree with it.... only if Spencer was still there at 31.... However NFL.com has him listed as a 1st rounder now and I am worried he would be taken in the mid 20's [/color]

Archived