Emerging stars

eskimo

More:

[b]Right field: Austin Kearns, Cincinnati Reds[/b]
Kearns has shown only flashes of what he could be until now because of injury. Now that he's healthy, and with the Reds' potent lineup protecting him, Kearns will become that 30-homer, 100-RBI guy who also hits .300 and carries a .400 on-base percentage. At only 24 years old, he'll show that he's a complete offensive player this season. The Reds will be pleased they didn't trade him after all the frustration they had to endure from all of Kearns' past injuries.

And play gold glove caliber RF (my addition)

[b]Second base: D'Angelo Jimenez, Cincinnati Reds[/b]
Jimenez, now 27, has matured as a player and as a person and has become a solid big leaguer. He has a great sense of the strike zone; this will be the year he learns what to do with the 2-0 and 3-1 pitches with which he can do damage because he works the count so well.

Look for a huge jump in his offensive production as he plays a Gold Glove-caliber second base and establishes himself as one of the best all-around second baseman in the game. Expect him to bat in the neighborhood of .300, hit 20 homers, steal 20 bases, score 100 runs and drive in 90.

That would be great.

If they both do that, they will have a lineup as good as any.

I think the Reds can contend late in the season if Kearns and Dunn both stay healthy. You put those guys back to back and you have a nice one-two punch. If Jimenez emerges and he sets them up, the Reds will put up a lot of runs.

However, those are some big question marks. All possibilities but still question marks. I still worry about their staff, although Danny Graves can be pretty nasty. I had him on my fantasy team last year (great first half last season) and have him again this year (good opening day).

Archived