My complete offseason plan

Here is my plan to fix the offensive line, give us a cornerstone defender, and resolve the RB, WR and DE situations.

First, we do some reshuffling on the OL:

RT: Whitworth
RG: Bobby Williams
C: If we can't live with another year of Ghiaciuc then we sign a mid-level FA center. We could also burn a third rounder on a center for depth and possible future starter. This is a great year to draft a center.
LG: Livings. Give him the full time starting job. He has been great.
LT: Collins. Collins looks like he can be a solid starter. We also use our 2nd round pick on the best OT available just in case.

Second, we resign Benson. Our RBs are Benson, James Johnson and a 4th or 5th round pick.

Third, trade Chad for a second round pick. Use it on a OT, DE, or center. Resign TJ to a long-term deal. TJ, Slim and Caldwell get the bulk of the snaps next year. Hopefully, Jerome Simpson shows up.

Fourth, draft Rey Maualuga to play middle linebacker. We need our first round pick to make a splash. Middle linebacker might not be our top need, but this guy is the next great NFL middle linebacker. He will likely be on the board at #6.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WyMRq-7SLA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WyMRq-7SLA...feature=related[/url]

Fifth, use two draft picks on DEs and hope to strike gold with one of them. It would be great to get Connor Barwin in the third. With Geathers, Odom and a couple of gambles in the draft it is not out of the question that DE could be a solid position.

I agree with part of it. I think you leave Whit at LG though as he's on the cusp of pro bowl caliber, and you draft someone who can come in an play LT or RT right away. You put Collins in the other spot. Chad, I think you get more than a 2nd rounder. Maybe not a first, but you'll get 2 picks. Agree on TJ, franchise him if you can't. Agree on center.

I don't know that we can use two picks on DE. I still think Odom will be alright once healthy (he hasn't been all year) and as Sims and Peko improve in the middle. I also think that Zimmer (and he kind of stated this monday) sacrificed a pass rush to an extent with his schemes to ensure that the team was stout against the run. He kind of knew with the guys he currently had that he could let them be ok at everything, or pretty good at one thing (stopping the run). I wonder how much our DE's were really allowed to let lose against the pass. Not that it still doesn't need work for sure. I think if you can draft a speedy guy to pair with odom, geathers, and Rucker, and upgrade the LB position, we'll be alright at DE. The better the LB's get, the more Zimmer can let his DE's freelance rather than trying to be stout against the run.

Archived