LARKIN IS GONE.

GoBengals

You know even though I can't say I didn't see it coming, I am still a little shocked.

Looks there will be some changes coming to the infield this year. Castro, Jimenez, and Freel all looked solid last year. So it might be a toss up who gets 2nd and who plays SS.

Larkin Article Link

Oct 12, 2:24 PM EDT

Larkin Won't Be Coming Back to Reds

By JOE KAY

AP Sports Writer

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Barry Larkin will not be offered another contract by the Cincinnati Reds, ending his 19-year career with his hometown team, he told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The shortstop said he was informed of the team's decision in a phone call earlier in the day.

"Nothing really surprises me anymore," Larkin said from his home in Orlando, Fla.

Larkin, 40, grew up in Cincinnati and spent his entire career with the Reds, developing into one of the most prominent players in their history. He helped the team win a World Series in 1990 and won the NL's Most Valuable Player award in 1995, the last time the Reds made the playoffs.

Injuries had limited him in recent years, and he decided to make the 2004 season his last. But a good season - he hit .289 and made the All-Star team - prompted him to reconsider and ask for one more season.

The Reds had no immediate comment.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Here is a sportsline.com article about it. In here Larkin is saying that he wasn't allowed to play the last month so they could develop Machado and Lopez.

Sportsline.com Article Link

Larkin says his days with Reds are over

Oct. 12, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

CINCINNATI -- Barry Larkin will not be offered another contract by the Cincinnati Reds, ending his 19-year career with his hometown team, he told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Advertisement

The shortstop said he was informed of the team's decision in a phone call earlier in the day.

"Nothing really surprises me anymore," Larkin said from his home in Orlando, Fla.

Larkin, 40, grew up in Cincinnati and spent his entire career with the Reds, developing into one of the most prominent players in their history. He helped the team win a World Series in 1990 and won the NL's MVP award in 1995, the last time the Reds made the playoffs.

Injuries had limited him in recent years, and he decided to make the 2004 season his last. But a good season -- he hit .289 and made the All-Star team -- prompted him to reconsider and ask for one more season.

He had an inkling the club wasn't going to make an offer when the front office decided not to talk about contracts with its free agents until after the season. He made sure to tell teammates and fans goodbye on the final day of the season, just in case the Reds didn't want him back.

Larkin was willing to discuss a role as a backup infielder with the Reds, working to develop its young shortstops. The club evidently wasn't interested.

The Reds had no immediate comment, but scheduled a news conference for later Tuesday.

"It wasn't pleasant," Larkin said of the Reds' decision. "But it is what it is. It's definitely disappointing. I have decisions to make."

Larkin, who becomes a free agent, isn't sure whether he wants to play one more year for another team and finish his career in a different uniform.

"I have to see what opportunities present themselves, if there's anything that makes sense," he said.

The Reds have tried for several years to develop Larkin's successor, but no one has played well enough to earn the job. Larkin said the Reds told him that they want to develop young shortstops Anderson Machado and Felipe Lopez rather than bring him back.

Machado replaced Larkin after the third inning of a season-ending 2-0 loss to Pittsburgh at Great American Ball Park, giving fans one final chance to applaud him. Larkin thanked fans over the public address system and lobbied for one more season in Cincinnati.

He wasn't surprised that it didn't happen. The front office decided to bench him for the last month of the season so they could get a look at the young shortstops, a hint he wasn't in their plans.

"I left Cincinnati in a pretty good situation, actually," Larkin said. "The last year I played there was a great year. It was a tough last month, because basically they didn't let me play the last month. I made the All-Star team, played well and played hard. I did what I could do."

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Larkin was willing to discuss a role as a backup infielder with the Reds, working to develop its young shortstops. The club evidently wasn't interested.

Motherfuckers.... Why would we want a gold glove, all star, future hall of famer mentoring our young shortstops?

This makes me sick and is the last straw for me. Until Linder dies or sells the teams i'm boycotting the reds.

Motherfuckers.... Why would we want a gold glove, all star, future hall of famer mentoring our young shortstops?

This makes me sick and is the last straw for me.  Until Linder dies or sells the teams i'm boycotting the reds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After they had the fire sale last year and got rid of Boone, I haven't been to a game since.

We could write a book of

"I was pisses when they ..."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No kidding I can think of a few players they should have never gotten rid of but did;

Mike Cameron

Paul Wilson

Reggie Sanders

Juan Encarnacion

Bret Boone

Aaron Boone

Benito Santiago

Todd Walker

Dave Wells

Not to mention that entire Drew Henson bullshit trade. Why the hell didn't the Reds sue him, when he refused to play for them and decided to go back to football? The guy signed a contract.

Archived