No Audio Output Device is Installed

So I recently let my girlfriend borrow my laptop and in thanks she promptly returned it to me the next day saying it wouldn't turn on. I freaked out and she finally admitted she downloaded limewire(she knows how much I loathe limewire) to get some songs.
So death by limewire I suppose.

I was running xp, which came installed on the comp when I bought it in '07 and I had no recovery disc or disc to reboot from.
A buddy of mine had a vista 64 bit disc and agreed to let me use it so I did.
I installed vista and all the updates I was prompted to by windows and downloaded as many driver updates that I could find.
Everything works great except it says I have no audio output device installed.
HP's website doesn't seem to have an update for audio for vista 64 bit that I can find.

I have an HP Pavilion dv8315nr now running vista 64 bit.

I'm not exactly sure what to do from here, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

well vista may accept the audio driver from a previous version of windows. HP probably just used a different audio device in the units that had 64bit, so id download the XP or vista 32 bit drivers for your computer.. should work... being 64 bit or vista doesnt [i]necessarily [/i]mean it needs a special unique driver..

Sorry to hear about your Limewire experience. It's all too common still for some reason. I had to beat somebody over the head about it just the other day.

There may not be a 64bit driver available for that audio device. I checked HP's website for drivers for that model ([url="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3184232&lang=en&"]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3184232&lang=en&[/url]) and didn't see any. Not for XP64 or Vista 64. You can try the following:
1. Use a generic audio driver. It may work, but it also may yell at you every time you boot up and you'll have to keep pointing it to that driver.
2. Contact HP tech support and see if they have any suggestions. Doubt it, but it's worth a try.
3. Go back to XP 32-bit since that's what came with your machine. If you can't find a disk, let us know here. There's people here that can hook you up in a variety of ways.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='02 January 2010 - 02:15 AM' timestamp='1262416512' post='850367']
well vista may accept the audio driver from a previous version of windows. HP probably just used a different audio device in the units that had 64bit, so id download the XP or vista 32 bit drivers for your computer.. should work... being 64 bit or vista doesnt [i]necessarily [/i]mean it needs a special unique driver..
[/quote]
I tried downloading the audio update listed under regular vista and it wouldn't work. It downloaded and went through a couple steps then would say it failed to install. Tried a couple times since I thought maybe it was just a one time thing. Nope, each time it did the exact same thing. Thanks anyway though

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='02 January 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1262460626' post='850467']
Sorry to hear about your Limewire experience. It's all too common still for some reason. I had to beat somebody over the head about it just the other day.

There may not be a 64bit driver available for that audio device. I checked HP's website for drivers for that model ([url="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3184232&lang=en&"]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3184232&lang=en&[/url]) and didn't see any. Not for XP64 or Vista 64. You can try the following:
1. Use a generic audio driver. It may work, but it also may yell at you every time you boot up and you'll have to keep pointing it to that driver.
2. Contact HP tech support and see if they have any suggestions. Doubt it, but it's worth a try.
3. Go back to XP 32-bit since that's what came with your machine. If you can't find a disk, let us know here. There's people here that can hook you up in a variety of ways.
[/quote]
I called HP earlier and they were of no help at all. Just said go back to xp. When I told them I did not have a disk they said that was something they could not control and as far as they were concerned they had solved the problem.

I don't have a disk or know anyone that does so any help in how to get one would be great, aside from paying full retail of course B)

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='02 January 2010 - 03:42 PM' timestamp='1262461324' post='850470']
I called HP earlier and they were of no help at all. Just said go back to xp. When I told them I did not have a disk they said that was something they could not control and as far as they were concerned they had solved the problem.

I don't have a disk or know anyone that does so any help in how to get one would be great, aside from paying full retail of course B)
[/quote]
Of course! Arrrr! (we need a pirate smiley) [img]http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs059.snc1/4530_81388944708_81346464708_1722424_8115253_n.jpg[/img]

I just IMed you.

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='03 January 2010 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1262567287' post='851109']
Have you tried a restore point? Just sayin... :)
[/quote]
Once he reinstalled a new OS, that was no longer an option. Although that may have helped with the original problem, depending on the nastiness of the bug he picked up.

Archived