Jim Brown...

Guest Bengal_Smoov

Guest Bengal_Smoov

Watching him now on NFL Total Access...He called out half the league and made Brenson think about some things :blink: ...He is offically the best rb ever in my mind.

Brown should be an annual speaker at the rookie synposium, regardless of what people say, he's extremely wise and the young guys need to hear what he has to say, imo..Some may call him a hater or whatever, but the man accomplished so much on and off the field, he must be respected and listened to, imo..

Did anyone see it??

Guest BlackJesus
[b]I have seen him speak on many occasions....

Some of his material is quality and he can be tough on traditional stupidity (which i appreciate), However he has a few skeletons himself that he needs to address before he gets too high on the pulpit. [/b]

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='May 27 2005, 08:59 PM'][b]I have seen him speak on many occasions....

Some of his material is quality and he can be tough on traditional stupidity (which i appreciate), However he has a few skeletons himself that he needs to address before he gets too high on the pulpit.  [/b]
[right][post="97109"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

He who is without sin, cast the first stone..Brown does have some skeletons,but who doesn't? Until Brown gets acquitted of murder he's still relevant in my mind.
I would accept what Brown has to say before Bill Cosby because Brown has a history of speaking up and out, something I can't say about Cosby. Although, Cosby has donated plenty of money, but isn't everything, at least in this case.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 27 2005, 09:48 PM']He who is without sin, cast the first stone..Brown does have some skeletons,but who doesn't?  Until Brown gets acquitted of murder he's still relevant in my mind.
I would accept what Brown has to say before Bill Cosby because Brown has a history of speaking up and out, something I can't say about Cosby.  Although, Cosby has donated plenty of money,  but isn't everything, at least in this case.
[right][post="97136"][/post][/right][/quote]

:sterb041:

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]He who is without sin, cast the first stone[/quote]
[b]Smoov you are making my case for me, that is exactly why Brown shouldn't be lecturing people :huh: [/b]

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='May 28 2005, 01:49 AM'][b]Smoov you are making my case for me, that is exactly why Brown shouldn't be lecturing people  :huh: [/b]
[right][post="97193"][/post][/right][/quote]

Brown has transended football off the field, his wisdom shouldn't be disregarded because of his past, imo..

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 28 2005, 01:03 PM']Brown has transended football off the field, his wisdom shouldn't be disregarded because of his past, imo..
[right][post="97249"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Examples?

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 28 2005, 01:12 PM']Examples?
[right][post="97254"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[quote]In the 1960s, Brown helped form the Negro Industrial Economic Union to assist black-owned businesses.  [img]http://www.si.umich.edu/chico/Schomburg/images/ali_thumb.jpg[/img]

In 1988, he created the Amer-I-Can program, an effort to turn gang members from destructive to productive members of society. Today, Amer-I-Can is successfully operating in 12 U.S. cities and promoting a skills curriculum that is designed to teach inmates how to empower themselves to turn their lives around with positive self-esteem and self-determination. Brown and his program were closely involved with the development of a cease-fire between two of Los Angeles' most violent rival gangs, the Bloods and Crips. Brown continues to work in the community to create better lives for his fellow citizens

[b]He has been an outspoken critic of the modern African-American athlete for what he perceives as a lack of involvement in the African-American community. "A Charles Barkley, a Magic Johnson, and a Michael Jordan are basically prima donnas," Brown has said[/b].[/quote]

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it? Jordan is a great athlete but that's about it, for someone with his fame he has done little to help the black community. Some guys don't feel the need to be "that guy", unfortunately the kids who idolize these players don't have enough positive role models(too many fake thug rappers, imo). There is a void in the black community of positive male role models for whatever reason and Brown recognizes that and does what he can to help, to me that makes him more than the best rb ever.

Brown cares for his community and is willing to use his celebrity that sports has given him to help others, he was a leader that influenced other athletes to do the same, something that today athelete has ignored, today's athelete rarely has a sense of community and they are selfish....

He also was a ground breaking actor, he had a sex scence with Sophia Loren in when most black actors couldn't get any respectable roles..

[quote]Football, though, took a back seat for Jim Brown during the 1965 off-season. While he was in London filming "The Dirty Dozen", Brown stunned the sports world by announcing his retirement from the NFL. Brown was more than just another athletic body. Jim wanted to focus more on his acting career, and display to America that he was a multitalented man. "The Dirty Dozen", however, was not Brown's first movie. Jim made his debut on the big screen in "Rio Conchos" while still a member of the Cleveland Browns. [b]Brown being in "Rio Conchos" was "an event deemed worthy of a four-page color spread in Life magazine". [/b]

Though seeming a bad move at the time, the choice to become an actor benefited Jim financially much more than an NFL salary could of at the time. Large rolls where Jim made big money were in[b] "The Dirty Dozen", [/b]Where Jim and eleven other criminals were set out on a mission in WWII France to infiltrate a chateau and murder the Nazi's controlling it, and also "[b]Ice Station Zebra[/b]" in which Brown along with a rescue team ventured out to the North Pole to rescue a "marooned" spacecraft. In all, Jim went on to appear in thirty-nine films, proving the transition from football to acting was a success.[/quote]

Brown is a man's man, he paved the way for many black action movie star's..some of his movies were bootleg and just plain dumb, but the fact that he was even able to make them was groundbreaking at that time.

Guest BengalBacker

Ok. Lots of reasons for praise. Let's not try to make him a saint though.

What I don't understand is your animosity toward Bill Cosby. We've been over all that already though. <_<

BTW, I've always said Jim Brown was the best rb I've ever seen.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 28 2005, 02:08 PM']Ok. Lots of reasons for praise. Let's not try to make him a saint though.

What I don't understand is your animosity toward Bill Cosby. We've been over all that already though.  <_<
[right][post="97264"][/post][/right][/quote]
Look at the great job he did advising Clarett!

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 28 2005, 02:08 PM']Ok. Lots of reasons for praise. Let's not try to make him a saint though.

What I don't understand is your [b]animosity toward Bill Cosby[/b]. We've been over all that already though.  <_<
[right][post="97264"][/post][/right][/quote]

I wouldn't call it animosity...Brown was very publically active in civil right movement and he didn't stop, he's been trying to help for as long as he can. Brown risked his life at time when Black Men who tried to make a difference for their community were being slaughtered, Cosby never fought that fight. Brown has earned the right by putting himself in cross-fire, Cosby always played it safe, Richard Pryor has said Cosby was a "cross-over", which means sacrifing your culture by assimilating into white culture in America, not saying it's right but that's what it means. I appriecate what Cosby has done for the Black community, he has probably given the most money to HBCU's then any person white or black. The problem I have with Cosby is that he's not offering any solutions or using his influence for solutions, he's just embaressing the people he is supposed to be helping. If he really doesn't want to help people besides throwing some at the problem, he should just shut the fuck up and do a Jello commercial or "Kids say the Darnest Things" show.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Ben' date='May 28 2005, 02:12 PM']Look at the great job he did advising Clarett!
[right][post="97265"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Third round pick ain't bad. If Clarett gets 1,300-1,500 yards the national media will love him.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 28 2005, 02:45 PM']Third round pick ain't bad.  If Clarett gets 1,300-1,500 yards the national media will love him.
[right][post="97274"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah.... stay in school one more year, go in the first round, instant millionaire is much worse than 3rd round "Risk"

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Ben' date='May 28 2005, 02:47 PM']Yeah.... stay in school one more year, go in the first round, instant millionaire is much worse than 3rd round "Risk"
[right][post="97276"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Considering his options..Football or Football or Football or Football...Clarett got a gift from God and needs thank God every day he was even drafted, imo..

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 28 2005, 02:43 PM']I wouldn't call it animosity...Brown was very publically active in civil right movement and he didn't stop, he's been trying to help for as long as he can.  Brown risked his life at time when Black Men who tried to make a difference for their community were being slaughtered,

[right][post="97273"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Let's not get carried away. He formed a group that tries to get gangs to stop the violence. Being who he was, I don't see the big risk to his life. If that put him at any risk, it would be from the gangs themselves. Sure it's a noble thing to do, but let's not make it sound like more than what it was. And to say that black men who tried to make a difference in their community were being slaughtered is a bit of an overstatement too.

It would be a bigger risk for me to walk down West 3rd Street here in Dayton at midnight than anything Jim Brown ever did. Did trying to stop gang violence make him a target? Acting in a movie? There's always the risk of some racist yahoo killing someone like Jim Brown, but a lot of whites have risked, or lost their lives in the civil rights struggle too. Back when school bussing for desegregation was starting, the city of Dayton school superintendant, Charles Glatt was killed over it. He was white. Some asshole walked into his office and shot him in the head. You never hear about people like him though.

I'm not trying to trash Jim Brown though. The things you talk about him doing are good things. No question.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 28 2005, 02:43 PM']Cosby never fought that fight.  Brown has earned the right by putting himself in cross-fire, Cosby always played it safe, Richard Pryor has said Cosby was a "cross-over", which means sacrifing your culture by assimilating into white culture in America, not saying it's right but that's what it means.  I appriecate what Cosby has done for the Black community, he has probably given the most money to HBCU's then any person white or black. The problem I have with Cosby is that he's not offering any solutions or using his influence for solutions, he's just embaressing the people he is supposed to be helping.  If he really doesn't want to help people besides throwing some at the problem, he should just shut the fuck up and do a Jello commercial or "Kids say the Darnest Things" show.
[right][post="97273"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

In your earlier post, you talked about the lack of positive role models for black kids. Bill Cosby was a positive role model. Your Richard Pryor quote is about as thinly veiled of an attempt at calling Cosby an Uncle Tom as you can get. I think Richard Pryor was funny as hell, but if you're talking about positive role models, there's no question that Bill Cosby was a more positive role model than Richard Pryor. Is it sacrificing your culture to get an education, and do comedy without saying fuck? My parents are from Tennessee. When they moved to Ohio, they had to "sacrifice their culture". They learned to speak the way the people in Ohio speak. They learned to act the way people in Ohio acted. They learned to do what they needed to do to get a job and be succesful. Clinging to your "culture" is more likely to hold you back than your race, religion or gender. That's just the way it is.

Of course Bill Cosby is offering solutions. Lose the welfare, illiterate, gangsta mentality and you have a chance of succeeding in life. As far as embarrassing people, I find it hard to believe that a "culture" who worships rappers that call their women ho's and bitches, and glorifies gangsta life, is so sensitive that no one should be able to tell them they're acting like fools who need to wake the fuck up. I guess if Bill Cosby had done time for killing someone, he'd be allowed to say these things. What kind of fucked up twisted logic is that? I guess doing a jello comercial or a tv show is acting too white for your tastes. I just don't fucking get it.

No street cred I guess. What the fuck ever.

Bill Cosby is a white comedian in a black man's body.
[img]http://www.musicweb-international.com/jazz/2001/Dec01/TommyDorsey_maestro_CF.jpg[/img]
That being said, he used to be pretty funny (funnier, at least, than Robin "Lip sore" Williams and Jim Carrey).

I am 50/50 on Maurice. I hate the Buckeyes, but the kid has problems. I don't want him to suceed mainly, however, because he will be playing for the Broncos.

Also, I want to know why Jim Brown is attacking Charles Barkley. You'd think they would be natural allies.

Jim Brown was in one of the best movies of all time:
[img]http://www.famouslocations.com/images/movies/dirtydozen_.jpg[/img]
That shit had Ko-Jack in it.

Oh, and the best all-around Running Back was Walter Payton. He could block for the QB better than Fullbacks with 50 pounds on him, and he could run like a deer.
Of course, he always had a decent line in front of him.
If you look at who had the most performance from the worst line, OJ was probably the best.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='GoBengals' date='May 28 2005, 11:59 PM']BORING........
[right][post="97365"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Maybe this will help.

[img]http://submissions.newsfilter.org/uploads/ass%20oh%20ass1.jpg[/img]

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 28 2005, 04:20 PM']Let's not get carried away. He formed a group that tries to get gangs to stop the violence. Being who he was, I don't see the big risk to his life. If that put him at any risk, it would be from the gangs themselves. Sure it's a noble thing to do, but let's not make it sound like more than what it was. [b]And to say that black men who tried to make a difference in their community were being slaughtered is a bit of an overstatement too[/b].

It would be a bigger risk for me to walk down West 3rd Street here in Dayton at midnight than anything Jim Brown ever did. Did trying to stop gang violence make him a target? Acting in a movie? There's always the risk of some racist yahoo killing someone like Jim Brown, but a lot of whites have risked, or lost their lives in the civil rights struggle too. Back when school bussing for desegregation was starting, the city of Dayton school superintendant, Charles Glatt was killed over it. He was white. Some asshole walked into his office and shot him in the head. You never hear about people like him though.

I'm not trying to trash Jim Brown though. The things you talk about him doing are good things. No question.

In your earlier post, you talked about the lack of positive role models for black kids. Bill Cosby was a positive role model. Your Richard Pryor quote is about as thinly veiled of an attempt at calling Cosby an Uncle Tom as you can get. I think Richard Pryor was funny as hell, but if you're talking about positive role models, there's no question that Bill Cosby was a more positive role model than Richard Pryor. Is it sacrificing your culture to get an education, and do comedy without saying fuck? My parents are from Tennessee. When they moved to Ohio, they had to "sacrifice their culture". They learned to speak the way the people in Ohio speak. They learned to act the way people in Ohio acted. They learned to do what they needed to do to get a job and be succesful. Clinging to your "culture" is more likely to hold you back than your race, religion or gender. That's just the way it is.

Of course Bill Cosby is offering solutions. Lose the welfare, illiterate, gangsta mentality and you have a chance of succeeding in life. As far as embarrassing people, I find it hard to believe that a "culture" who worships rappers that call their women ho's and bitches, and glorifies gangsta life, is so sensitive that no one should be able to tell them they're acting like fools who need to wake the fuck up. I guess if Bill Cosby had done time for killing someone, he'd be allowed to say these things. What kind of fucked up twisted logic is that? I guess doing a jello comercial or a tv show is acting too white for your tastes. I just don't fucking get it.

No street cred I guess. What the fuck ever.
[right][post="97295"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Have you ever heard of the Black Panther Party?

Cosby is senile and needs to worry about his lawsuits.

Smoov, I have agreed with many things you have said, but you are a borderline reverse-racist. This is America, not Africa, and for black folks to continue the whipping post, pun intended, in the 21st century with regards to racism is absurd. Sure, it still exists, but it is slowly and inexorably being weeded out, one bigot at a time.
I cannot for the life of me figure out why you're so down on Cosby. Like BB said, he must be an "Uncle Tom" in the eyes of the black community because he made his fame and fortune primarily from telling comedic stories about family life that <<GASP>> [i]white people related to!!!!![/i]. So FUCKING WHAT! Now he is using his celeb status to push an agenda against the trend of "Ignorance somehow became cool" in the black community and you have a problem with that?

It is true. Please tell me I'm insane, and also tell me why/when/how the proliferation of ignoramus behavior became glorified/accepted/the norm in the majority of hip-hop music? Why o why is this the case...because it sells records to "keep it real" (Chris Rock: "REAL dumb!") and "rap" about "the streets, yo" like there is no hope or way out unless you have a wicked jump shot or sling rocks? Why did this become reality? Because the FBI/CIA distributed crack into inner-city neighborhoods?

Why don't a higher percentage of black people, who "suddenly" have the same opportunities as me find hard work and getting an education a viable outcome? Where is the desire for hard work? Is this what rappers speak of? "Yo, ya gots to get an education, so we can get a liberation, free our minds and souls, rid ourselves of dependence on the crack ho's"........?

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 30 2005, 11:43 PM']Smoov, I have agreed with many things you have said, [b]but you are a borderline reverse-racist. [/b] This is America, not Africa, and for black folks to continue the whipping post, pun intended, in the 21st century with regards to racism is absurd.  Sure, it still exists, but it is slowly and inexorably being weeded out, one bigot at a time.
I cannot for the life of me figure out why you're so down on Cosby.  Like BB said, he must be an "Uncle Tom" in the eyes of the black community because he made his fame and fortune primarily from telling comedic stories about family life that <<GASP>>  [i]white people related to!!!!![/i].  So FUCKING WHAT!  Now he is using his celeb status to push an agenda against the trend of "Ignorance somehow became cool" in the black community and you have a problem with that?

It is true. Please tell me I'm insane, and also tell me why/when/how the proliferation of ignoramus behavior became glorified/accepted/the norm in the majority of hip-hop music?  Why o why is this the case...because it sells records to "keep it real" (Chris Rock:  "REAL dumb!") and "rap" about "the streets, yo" like there is no hope or way out unless you have a wicked jump shot or sling rocks?  Why did this become reality?  Because the FBI/CIA distributed crack into inner-city neighborhoods?

Why don't a higher percentage of black people, who "suddenly" have the same opportunities as me find hard work and getting an education a viable outcome?  Where is the desire for hard work?  Is this what rappers speak of?  "Yo, ya gots to get an education, so we can get a liberation, free our minds and souls, rid ourselves of dependence on the crack ho's"........?
[right][post="97775"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Please enlighten me on why you feel I'm a boderline racist?

this is ridiculous, if i were black, or hispanic, i would have been promoted more than a year ago, you know how i got my job? i put "non caucasian" on the online application. i was very tan at the time, it worked, i turned in over 150 resumes, and did more than 20 interviews when i was looking for a job at the time, the FIRST one i tried that... i got hired, i did it on a few others the same day.. i got call backs from them all but 1 within 10 days, and heard nothing from hundreds, ever...

i have seen females, a black guy who calls himself scottish, isreali man, another woman, basically everyone but white males get promoted ahead of many white males FAR FAR more qualified for the job.

brown isnt doing anything for this country but causing more social unrest.

my relatives cant get promoted at P & G because they are white males, women and people of other ethnicities are paid more and promoted over white males all over the country.

when was the last time jim brown helped any and all young athletes succeed, no he wears his african/black panther-like gear and helps young black athletes, ....

because if there is anyone who needs help in sports, in youth black athletes, they almost never make it big time in major sports.

how about someone help all of the community, how about someone care about whats happening to this country and not just the neighborhood where they grew up or people just like them. how about someone give a shit about fairness and RIGHTS of everyone. no one any of us ever knew had any slaves, and no one was killing jews by the trainload either. but i know crazy old black ladies call me racists cause they are too stupid to get in line to be helped with a packed store. i know everyone who comes into my store barely speaking english asking if this phone or that phone works in africa asks tim (our black employee) all of the same questions after me to see if im trying to rip him off. I know DOZENS of black customers will wait 10 extra minutes to talk to tim for the same reason, jim brown isnt preaching to anyone that black or white sports agents will help you, he isnt preaching you can reach out to other white or hispanic athletes for help and to unite as one, he is pushing for his own cause, he is pushing for a community that needs an excuse. there are people who want to be PAID MOPNEY for hardships thier relatives went through. there are far bigger problems in this country than what these rich famous ignorant assholes are fighting for and you want to put them on a pedistal? you want THESE people to speak to the youth of this country? why not a soldier who gave up his family, his life, his career, and everything he had, eventually his friends life to defend this ridiculous country and allow fools to be millionaires for sports, i want that soldier to come speak to my child in school, i was that soldiers family to come to my college and speak about bravery.

some egotistical attention whore boasting this or that helps no one.

this country is in ruin and everyone hides behind our brave soldiers. this country could learn alot from these soldiers, #1 picking a leader who will treat every situationas if his own son is on the front line, because thousands of peoples family is on that front line. i will stear away from my bush hating. this country is full of cowards who are praised as leaders, they wouldnt know a leader if they saw one.

terrell owens is holding out of PLAYING SPORTS because the $50 million he has already made he doesnt feel is enough... meanwhile another young athletic african american man is in iraq fighting for his life against the unrest over our involvement there. but terrell owens is an icon?

this is a fucking joke.... jim brown is no one. nothing he has ever done impresses me. put him in the football hall of fame for what he did on the field. he has done nothing for this country.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 30 2005, 11:07 PM']Please enlighten me on why you feel I'm a boderline racist?
[right][post="97787"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I said reverse-racist, re-read the rest of my post and understand...I am against ANY kind of favoritism for ANYONE...because nobody "deserves" anything unless they worked hard for it or are qualified for it...

Peace, Smoov...you've got a lot of insight into a world I'm still learning about.....

Archived