Strange New Year's Day

Le Tigre

I used to remember when New Year's Day games were the epitome of the college football season. The best games were on...and they followed a tradition, or at least a pattern.

I'm watching the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Vizio right now. I remember when it was just the Rose Bowl. I am watching it on ESPN. It was always the late afternoon prime time game for ABC. I am watching the champions of the Big 10 (Wisconsin) playing the BCS 3 seed from the Mountain West Conference (Texas Christian). I remember when it was only the Big 10 champs against the Pac 10 champs.

Whatever happened to the Cotton Bowl? It used to be the champs of the Southwest Conference against the champs of the Big 8. I saw something on today called the TicketCity Bowl being played at the Cotton Bowl, involving barely bowl-eligible teams.

There was no Fiesta Bowl.

The Sugar Bowl was always on New Year's Night...almost side-by-side with the Orange Bowl. In the days before remotes...you had to run back and forth across the room a lot to change the games. Now the Sugar Bowl is being played three days from now.

I don't know...maybe it's just me. It just doesn't seem as special a football day as it once did.

Archived