Sounds like heads are about to roll

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Allen's visit sends strong message
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

DENVER | There was a surprise visitor in the Cincinnati Reds clubhouse Sunday morning that elicited gasps and gulps.

Appearing unexpectedly like an apparition and with a demeanor that had the players thinking, "Grim Reaper," club president John Allen walked in the door.

Changes coming? Will manager Dave Miley be fired? Will pitching coach Don Gullett and hitting coach Chris Chambliss be swept out the door?

Allen acted as if anything is possible.

"The status quo and end result is not acceptable," said Allen. "None of us find this acceptable. Nobody thought this is where we'd be right now and we have to fix it. We have a little over a hundred games left and it has to change quickly."

Nothing changed Sunday, or as Allen said after the Colorado Rockies completed a three-game sweep in Coors Field, 8-6, "different day, same results."

Where the Reds are is in last place in the National League Central, a season-worst 14 games under .500 and the victim of last-place Colorado's first sweep of the season.

Changes could be coming before the Reds open a three-game series Tuesday in Great American against another last-place team, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

On the last day of a six-game trip to Houston and Denver, Allen, at the behest of upper management (read: CEO Carl Lindner), climbed out of his comfortable early-morning bed in northern Kentucky and flew to Denver.

He wasn't interested in attending the Denver Crush-Chicago Rush Arena Football League game or to visit his mother, Marcelle, who lives five hours away in Norton, Kan.

Allen came not bearing gifts, but carrying strong words for Miley, that what is happening on the field is not acceptable, not a 21-35 record.

Why not wait until the Reds returned to Cincinnati for today's off day? Because this was a media event and a message.

Told that his unannounced visit had players abuzz, Allen said, "Good, that was the intent. Do you think I wanted to get out of bed early Sunday and fly to Denver?"

With several players asking, "What's the club president doing here?" Allen went directly to Miley's office for an hour-long, closed-door meeting. Miley was visibly shaken afterward.

"He's very unhappy and has every right to be," Miley said. "I didn't know he was coming until he showed up. We talked about a lot of things for a long while."

Allen flew back to Cincinnati on Sunday night on the team charter so he could talk with coaches and make ownership's concerns as clear as possible. He said he popped in at this juncture because the organization expected the team to win on this trip against two last-place teams, Houston and Colorado, instead of going 1-5.

He made it a point to say most of the players are professionals "and understand what we're saying, but we wanted to re-enforce that."

Allen said he didn't plan to talk to players individually — that was Miley's domain — but he talked at length privately with Ken Griffey Jr.

Griffey said he told Allen that players are trying to win and want to win. Of Allen's arrival, he said, "It sends a message to the guys in this clubhouse that things better change or other things are going to change. That's expected. We haven't had the one big game to turn our momentum around."

Allen emphasized he wasn't in town to tell anybody how to play the game.

"I never played the game professionally and I have people in place to run the baseball operations and my role is to re-enforce what needs to be done," he said.

Asked why he was in Denver instead of general manager Dan O'Brien, he said, "Dan is just a notch above the food chain, while everybody knows I represent Mr. Lindner and ownership and we want it known it goes all the way to the top that we're concerned."

He didn't point a finger at any player or players and, in effect, exonerated them when he said, "We have some very professional players in this locker room who are in a lot of misery right now, trying to understand why this is happening. They need some answers.

"We do care, from top to bottom, and I'm not here carrying a big stick. We're an organization, we're a team and we want our fans to know we do care and what is happening on the field is not acceptable. It is not getting done right now."

So, something could be done ... soon.

heres what I would do if I could do what the hell ever I wanted

Fire Carl
Fire John Allen
Fire the other silent owners
Fire Dan Obrien
Fire the entire coaching staff, and the guys in charge of pitching down in the minors.
Fire/trade Austin Kearns (I cant stand to see him take another called 3rd strike with runners in scoring position and the game on the line).
Switch Milton with that batboy that runs all funny (sits on the 1st base side)
Fire Aureillia
Name Freel team captain and sign him long term
trade Casey
Move Dunn to 1st
Get a speedy, base hitting outfielder
Move Griffey to left, Pena to center
Fire John Allen and Uncler Carl again, just to get point across

[quote]Name Freel team captain and sign him long term[/quote]

Amen to that. Some players are good sometimes. Freel is always busting his ass all the time. A lot of the time we are just out-hustled.

Which is totally inexcusable.
VB

Archived