Tareq Salahi, Officially Divorced, Sets His Eye on the Virginia Governorship

Go Skins

Jamie, we may have to deal with this.

[url="http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/news-gossip/tareq-salahi-officially-divorced-sets-his-eye-on-the-virginia-governorship.php"]http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/news-gossip/tareq-salahi-officially-divorced-sets-his-eye-on-the-virginia-governorship.php[/url]

The Salahis starred in the ill-fated [i]Real Housewives of DC[/i] and got worldwide attention when they “crashed” a White House state dinner. Later, Michaele ran off with Schon, and the two have remained relatively quiet and off the radar, except for defending themselves against Salahi’s suit and Michaele filing her own defamation suit against her husband, which was also resolved.

Tareq, on the other hand, in the spirit of “hell hath no fury,” has been public and vocal since his wife bolted. Today, on Facebook and by phone, he was chipper. “Everything has been settled, and yes, we are divorced now. I’m pleased. Moving forward. Happy to close that chapter,” he said. We asked if he got any money. “Oh, I can’t say. Everything’s confidential.”

What he did want to talk about is his campaign for governor of Virginia. Yes, you read that correctly. The man who became infamous for a reality TV show, who will long be called a “gate-crasher” and who refused to answer questions before a House subcommittee, has turned his focus to state politics. He’s seeking the Republican nomination and will launch the effort with a September fundraiser at his home in Linden. He said he would reveal his platform at that time.

If any money did change hands in the legal settlement, would it pay for a campaign? Salahi wouldn’t say. But he did want us to know this: “I was involved in local politics long before [i]Real Housewives[/i]. I was appointed by three different governors to boards for tourism. A lot of people don’t know that side of me.”
The would-be candidate is not done in the courts. He still has a case pending against a former business partner, who handled what Roberts calls his “celebrity” appearances. Salahi has requested a jury trial in that case.

Archived