RIP Coach

Jamie_B

[img]http://www.crossfitliberation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Atom_NOVA_Open.jpg[/img]

The head coach at my Crossfit gym, Atom Ziniewicz, was involved in a fatal shooting on Saturday night. He was a former green beret and struggling with PTSD from his service in Afganistan. I've known him since starting crossfit in Nov of last year, he had his good and bad days with it and Saturday was a very bad day. He was not himself when he had his down moments, it was literally jekyll and hyde. We are still waiting for the full details from the authorities and an autopsy but what we know is he accosted two young people in [color=#333333][font=Arial]Healy Alaska, he was up there drifting and looking to stay in the woods over the winter to write a book, and shot one of them both the victims got away and lived, but my coach was eventually found and troopers from what I understand were given a kill on sight order because he was former green beret and armed (handgun) they didnt take any chances.[/font][/color]

[font=Arial][color=#333333]For me this is a tragic story of how war effects the mind and how ill prepared we are to really deal with the psychological effects of post war, especially with the vets that get out of the service but are still suffering. [/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#333333]He was a victim as well. [/color][/font]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348602368' post='1163093']
You hate to hear about a hero of combat have these kind of problems. [color=#ff0000]I really think the government needs to do more to help Vets transition back to society.[/color]
[/quote]

You and me both.

From a river runs through it....

"We are willing to help, Lord... but what, if anything, is needed?" It is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give... or more often than not, the part we have to give... is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us... but we can still love them. We can love completely... without complete understanding."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived