Post Shrine/Senior Mock (6 rounds/7 picks)

Hopefully I can avoid doing another one of these until at least after the combine. This was fun. I used a compendium of draft rankings to make my pick, but the NFL.com’s rankings (they were surprisingly accurate last year) and nfldraftscout.com’s have served as my baseline. I didn’t really pick anyone more than one or two spots above where they were listed for overall rankings (post Senior Bowl, because Ansah jumped from the high 30s’ to about 15).

When I watch “tape” I focus on watching the actual game cut-ups, because they give a better sense of strengths and weaknesses (and just as important, intelligence, hustle, etc.). But the purposes of efficiency (and just plain fun) for this post I’ve just posted highlight vids for the players. NOTE: It seems I'm not allowed to post all of the vids so I'll try to do this in separate posts.

[b]21. WR Cordarelle Patterson[/b] – If Eric Dickerson were a WR. A 6-3 Adam Jones with the ball in his hands. No…better. He’s not NFL polished, perhaps, but his talent is just too immense to pass up on and he’ll impact every game. Dominated the SEC in his first season. Good hands, insane vision, unreal YAC. Tavon Austin, my ass. This guy’s a special PLAYMAKER and changes the entire makeup of our offense. Let’s all get down on our knees and pray he’s there at 21. Watch the video, and then STFU.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzag6BTqS0[/media]

37. S Matt Elam –A punishing hitter, but only a hair behind the more traditional FS prospects in coverage. His open-field tackling far outshines Vacarros (Kenny’s one liability) He’s just vicious in the flat. Reminds me of Troy Polamalu more than anyone else in this draft. I think that’s pretty self-explanatory. This guy’s hits change games.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREjDTpTedE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREjDTpTedE[/url]

(I doubt he lasts until here, but a number of sites still have him listed in the mid 40s. This was actually my hardest pick, as value just didn’t seem to match up well with our needs at this pick. I could see also taking a rotational DE, CB, or developmental OL here. Lastly, I’m still hoping we try for Jairus Byrd in FA).

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1359499190' post='1211794']
Watch the video, and then STFU.
[/quote]

Well, I hope you're happy. I just watched the video and thanks to the soundtrack I can't seem to stop dancing.

Good stuff though, especially the incredible change of direction move against Vanderbilt that popped up around 3:40. That was rare stuff.

Personally I'm not a big fan of using the first pick on a WR but by the same token I can see the merit in doing so.

Besides, it's what we do. As Gil Brandt joked several years ago, WR will always be Mike Brown's default setting on draft day.

I like the Elam highlites as well, but if I were to offer a criticism it wouldn't be about his failure to wrap up, as so many others mention. Rather, I thought there was an example or two where he knocks a pass down that he might have intercepted.

[quote name='HairOnFire' timestamp='1359570946' post='1211950']

Well, I hope you're happy. I just watched the video and thanks to the soundtrack I can't seem to stop dancing.

Good stuff though, especially the incredible change of direction move against Vanderbilt that popped up around 3:40. That was rare stuff.

Personally I'm not a big fan of using the first pick on a WR but by the same token I can see the merit in doing so.

Besides, it's what we do. As Gil Brandt joked several years ago, WR will always be Mike Brown's default setting on draft day.

I like the Elam highlites as well, but if I were to offer a criticism it wouldn't be about his failure to wrap up, as so many others mention. Rather, I thought there was an example or two where he knocks a pass down that he might have intercepted.
[/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn't have been for a receiver going number one until I saw the video. I just haven't seen anything like that out of CFB this year (or in the last several if you talk about that kind of size with those moves), and Marvin's talk since the playoff loss has been all about needing players to make plays, so...

Frankly, I don't think he'll last until 21.

As for Elam, I'd agree - but I'd also hope that could be coached into him a little. Of course, he may be batting at balls simply because he has hands of stone. But it's his recognition and acceleration that can't be coached that really turns me on with him. Another tough pick in the slot, though, because although he's rated all over the place, his tendency to come up big in big games leads me to think he won't be there at 37.

It's funny, but with both the first two picks, I'm actually having trouble falling in love with someone who I think will be there (doubts about either Ansah or Patterson being there right now). I was warming to Datone Jones after watching him in the Senior Bowl, but now the talking heads seem to be launching him up as well.

You're out on the West Coast. Have you seen him play much? Word is he was buried on Mora's D, often playing inside at DT - which I would think would make him only more attractive to us should he be there.

Otherwise I'm really starting to think we go (shriek!) OT or CB.

Below those picks, things get really easy. I suppose we could get lucky and trade down again and pick up a third.

Archived