Rankings from: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/all

1. Robert Nkemdiche DL Ole Miss 6'3" 296

2. Joshua Perry SLB OSU 6'4" 254

3. De'Runnya Wilson WR Miss St 6'4" 215

4. Denver Kirkland OG Ark 6'5" 340

5. Austin Blythe C Iowa 6'2" 290

6. DJ Reader DT Clemson 6'2" 325

7. Josh Forrest ILB UK 6'3" 255

I'm really intrigued by Perry. I can't tell if he's just not a gamer or was used in a way at OSU that didn't take full advantage of his athelticism.  I expect him to be a combine freak, and see him as a kind of poor man's Jaylon Smith - who I thought was somewhat over-rated even before the injury.

I loved what I saw from Nkemdiche in the two games of his I saw this year, but he was defninitely and on/off kind of player.  The character dings coupled with that make me wonder if they Bengals would take a risk on him, something they almost never do in the first round. He's a top 5 talent when he's on though, and if he falls - as I expect him to - it will be tempting.

I keep seeing DeRunnya Wilson mocked to us in a couple of places, and wouldn't think twice if not for the unusual name.  Can't say he's registered from the MSU games I watched either, though admittedly I'm almost always focused on their Defense. 

The only other name I recognize is one that JUMPS out to me and that's DJ Reader.  He's a bit of a head case as well, but I loved what I saw of him the little he played this season.  He's a bonafide run-stopper and would instantly upgrade our interior run DLine, something that I think has gotten really bad since Peko seems to have fallen off a cliff in that department (he arguably had his best pass rushing season this year but he was just terrible in run D this year).

• 2 weeks later...

I like Wilson in the 3rd. Still raw, but has real upside and that type of big outside WR could be a huge need if we lose Marvin Jones. 

Think I'm out on Nkemdiche in the first. Sounds like he's got some major off field issues. Don't feel like we're in the position where we have to take a major risk like that in the 1st round. 

Not really feeling Josh Perry in the 2nd either. Just not what this defense needs even though he's a solid player. If we take a LB early, I think it should be a hybrid coverage guy (like Darron Lee). Perry is a good run and jump athlete, but I don't think he has the change of direction needed to be a top notch coverage guy in the NFL. 

Archived