FBI won't tell Apple how they cracked iPhone

T-Dub

So there was quite a bit of rabid fanboying   discussion not long ago about a story relating to the FBI's attempts to crack an iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino shooters & Apple's grandstanding for the sake of free advertising (or "privacy concerns" if you prefer).  IIRC there was quite the torches & pitchforks reaction to a suggestion that the iPhone was not, in fact, the end game last word in crypto security.  I was told the iPhone was just too advanced for the NSA & it was more than just implied that I was a fool to ever question the genius that is Apple products (now in gold plated version!)

So pardon me if I deliver this news with a side of snark

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/27/fbi-apple-iphone-secret-hack-san-bernardino

tl;dr - Your iPhone ain't shit.  Agent Scully is laughing at your dick pics.

• 4 months later...

i never understood why it was so hard, then i heard apple say they fucked themselves by trying too many password and locking the phone out. THATS what triggered the issue.

I think apple said they could ahve reset the password sent to the gmail used for apple id, since google had no issue giving it up.. BUT the police tried 5,000,000 passwords and things and triggered the "your phone is locked for 10,000,000,000,000 hours" thing...

its not that hard if you dont be stupid about it and have access to the email account used for apple id..

apple just launched a campaign paying $200k if you can hack their software... 

that should tighten things up a bit.

Archived