Lavelle Westbrooks and JK Schaffer clear waivers; Revert to Bengals IR

Lavelle Westbrooks and JK Schaffer clear waivers; Revert to Bengals IR

By Jason Marcum @JasonB_Marcum on Aug 27 2014, 6:33p 5

453319676.0_standard_783.0.jpg
Jamie Squire

Both players were let go Tuesday with the waived/injured designation, meaning they had an injury that could cause them to go onto IR if they cleared waivers.

The Bengals have managed to hold on to two players who were vying for a spot on the final 53-man roster. Linebacker J.K. Schaffer and cornerback Lavelle Westbrooks have both cleared waivers, and will revert to the Injured Reserve List, ensuring Cincinnati holds onto their rights for at least one more year.

Both players were let go Tuesday with the waived/injured designation, meaning they had an injury that could cause them to go onto IR if they cleared waivers. Schaffer is dealing with concussions and a head injury, while Westbrooks had a thumb injury.

Schaffer suffered two concussions this preseason, with the second coming in the final quarter of the preseason game against the Jets.

With another year of development, Westbrooks will have a good shot to make the 53-man roster in 2015, assuming Terence Newman isn't brought back (will be 36 and a free agent next offseason).

Westbrooks had played good training camp, and he was a lock to make it past the first wave of cuts if not for the injury.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/27/6076165/lavelle-westbrooks-jk-schaffer-clear-waivers-revert-bengals-ir

Lavelle Westbrooks and JK Schaffer clear waivers; Revert to Bengals IR

By Jason Marcum @JasonB_Marcum on Aug 27 2014, 6:33p 5

453319676.0_standard_783.0.jpg
Jamie Squire

Both players were let go Tuesday with the waived/injured designation, meaning they had an injury that could cause them to go onto IR if they cleared waivers.

The Bengals have managed to hold on to two players who were vying for a spot on the final 53-man roster. Linebacker J.K. Schaffer and cornerback Lavelle Westbrooks have both cleared waivers, and will revert to the Injured Reserve List, ensuring Cincinnati holds onto their rights for at least one more year.

Both players were let go Tuesday with the waived/injured designation, meaning they had an injury that could cause them to go onto IR if they cleared waivers. Schaffer is dealing with concussions and a head injury, while Westbrooks had a thumb injury.

Schaffer suffered two concussions this preseason, with the second coming in the final quarter of the preseason game against the Jets.

With another year of development, Westbrooks will have a good shot to make the 53-man roster in 2015, assuming Terence Newman isn't brought back (will be 36 and a free agent next offseason).

Westbrooks had played good training camp, and he was a lock to make it past the first wave of cuts if not for the injury.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/27/6076165/lavelle-westbrooks-jk-schaffer-clear-waivers-revert-bengals-ir

I have always liked Schaffer's attitude and motor.

However, with a couple of concussions and as young as he is...

It might be wise for him to start seeking his life's work out of football.

I assume he is still getting some sort of salary and medical help while

he is on IR.

I wonder what these guys get paid while on IR?

I was curious about this also....i mean damn if I'm a college FA....i get my ass injured in  training camp....imagine making $400K or so sitting on your couch lol o and all the perks of being a bengal, sideline tickets, locker room, training staff. It would be almost any NFL fans wet dream.....Even for 1 year right out of college I would be LIGHT YEARS ahead of where i am today if i was handed 400K and then i went and looked for a job.

Archived