Lagging Bengals insist they're better than Ravens

[quote][size=3][b]Lagging Bengals insist they're better than Ravens[/b][/size]
Associated Press
National Football League News Wire

CINCINNATI -- T.J. Houshmandzadeh sure sounded silly.

A few minutes after the Baltimore Ravens beat his Cincinnati
Bengals on Nov. 5, the prideful receiver insisted that the better
team had lost.

"Deep down, we know we're better than Baltimore and they know
it," Houshmandzadeh said. "We've got better players than they
do."

Three weeks later, he's not backing down from a boast that
sounds even sillier in light of what's happened since then.

The Ravens (9-2) have won five in a row, leaving themselves one
victory away from snatching the AFC North title from the Bengals
(6-5). They can become the first team to clinch a playoff spot by
winning in Cincinnati on Thursday night.

Given what's happened in the last three games, no one can
dispute that the Ravens are the class of the division. Right, T.J.?

"I still feel that way, but it doesn't matter what I say, we
still have to play," Houshmandzadeh said. "I think we're better
than them. We'll find out."

Sure will.

The Ravens know their three-game lead on the Bengals -- and the
chance to clinch a title on their field -- speak for themselves.
Safety Ed Reed chortled when Houshmandzadeh's comments were brought
up.

"Keep your mouth shut, man," Reed said. "Play football. I
heard it. It is what it is. The game speaks for itself. If you
think you're a better team, then come out and let's play football,
man."

First, Cincinnati had a little more talking to do.

The Bengals were still trying to get their act together on
offense when they lost 26-20 in Baltimore. They went 1-for-10 on
third-down conversions against one of the league's toughest
defenses.

That turned out to be a turning point. In the last three games,
quarterback Carson Palmer has thrown nine touchdown passes and put
up three consecutive passer ratings of at least 120 for the first
time in his career.

When he watched film of the first Ravens game in preparation for
the rematch, Palmer cringed and felt embarrassed.

"When I say it hurts, I mean it literally hurts watching what
we did against them the last time," said Palmer, who was only
12-of-26 with two interceptions in the loss. "We didn't play well
at all. I feel we've come a long way and made a lot of progress
offensively. They'll be seeing a different unit, a unit they've
seen in years past but not in this past game."

The Bengals seem to have embraced Houshmandzadeh's defiant tone.

"Just watching that film, you could see we beat ourselves,"
center Eric Ghiaciuc said. "There's a lot of things that we didn't
do that we should have done that would have made the outcome of
that game a lot different. We're a better team than that, and we
need to play that way."

Of course, the Ravens have become a better team, too.

That victory over the Bengals was the second of what has grown
into a five-game winning streak. Baltimore played by far its best
game of the season last Sunday, beating pissburgh 27-0 in a
performance so dominating that even coach Brian Billick was taken
aback.

"It sounds a little braggadocios -- which I know I'm not prone
to do -- but you look at the first half of that game ..." he said.
"I came out at halftime and looked up at the board and saw we had
220 yards of offense and 17 points and they had 36 yards of total
offense, and I really did look at it and say, 'Oh, boy, somebody's
having a rough day, what game is that? Wait a minute, that's us."

Yes, it was them. And, it wasn't a fluke.

The Ravens' defense leads the league in interceptions, ranks
second in sacks and is third in points allowed. The offense has
settled into a comfort zone behind quarterback Steve McNair, who is
10-3 career against the Bengals as a starter.

The teams' recent upswings and all of that boastful talk out of
Cincinnati have created the aura of a showdown for the division
title -- which, essentially, it is.

"There is no other team in the league that I would much rather
be playing than the Cincinnati Bengals," Reed said. "I'm sure
they feel the same way."

They do.

"We realize what's at stake," Palmer said. "We don't need to
talk about it."[/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2679462"]ESPN.com[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Memories of Ravens haunting [/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Bengals were embarrassed by loss earlier this season [/b][/size]
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Bill Rabinowitz
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CINCINNATI — The Bengals are three games behind the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North and have already lost once to their division rivals.

Some teams in that situation might lack confidence. That’s not an issue for Cincinnati, which plays host to Baltimore on Thursday night in Paul Brown Stadium.

The Bengals say all the right things about respecting the Ravens defense, a punishing unit ranked second in the NFL.

It’s just that they believe their back-on-track offense should trump Baltimore defense.

"We’ve been so much more successful since we’ve played them and done a lot of different things, put in some new stuff and made great adjustments," Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said. "But we don’t need confidence against these guys. We’ve handled them in the past. It’s not a confidence issue. It’s an execution issue."

Cincinnati converted only 1 of 10 thirddown chances in Baltimore’s 26-20 victory Nov. 5.

"That’s embarrassing," Palmer said.

That’s a word he and others have used to describe the overall performance in the earlier matchup.

"Playing these guys this week, that’s the film we’re looking at a lot," Palmer said. "It hurts looking at because it’s embarrassing.

"When I say it hurts, I mean it literally hurts watching what we did against them the last time. They’ll be seeing a different unit, a unit they’ve seen in years past but not in this past game."

The Bengals have had success against the Ravens. Palmer engineered his first big comeback victory against the Ravens two years ago, and the Bengals scored 42 points against them in Paul Brown Stadium last year.

"We didn’t take advantage of a lot of the opportunities we had," center Eric Ghiaciuc said of the Nov. 5 game. "Looking at the film, you can see we beat ourselves."

The Bengals fell behind 14-0 five minutes into the game after Chris Perry fumbled the opening kickoff and Palmer’s high pass off Chad Johnson’s hands was intercepted and returned for a touchdown.

The Bengals twice closed to within six points but didn’t come close to taking the lead. Their best chance ended on an incompletion, after which T.J. Houshmandzadeh slammed his helmet to the ground because he was upset that no interference was called.

Afterward, Houshmandzadeh said the Bengals remained the superior team and that the Ravens believed that, as well.

Not surprisingly, word has gotten back to Baltimore.

"Keep your mouth shut, man," Ravens safety Ed Reed said in a conference call with Bengals media. "Play football.

"That’s all right. I heard it. It is what it is. The game speaks for itself. If you think you’re a better team, then come out and let’s play football. And I know T.J. is going to do that."

Houshmandzadeh hasn’t backed down.

"I still feel that way," he said. "I’m not going to say I don’t. I still feel that way, but it doesn’t matter what I say. We still have to play football. I think we’re better than them. We’ll find out."

brabinowitz@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/bengals/bengals.php?story=dispatch/2006/11/29/20061129-E5-01.html"]http://www.dispatch.com/bengals/bengals.ph...1129-E5-01.html[/url]

Guest BlueKat

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='396021' date='Nov 29 2006, 07:09 AM'][url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2679462"]ESPN.com[/url][/quote]
This was only slightly slanted towards the Ratbirds. :blink:

[quote name='BlueKat' post='396044' date='Nov 29 2006, 08:40 AM']This was only slightly slanted towards the Ratbirds. :blink:[/quote]

Yeah, honestly. "Lagging Bengals" with a 2-game winning streak. That's some pretty fucking biased writing. Still,

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='396047' date='Nov 29 2006, 08:44 AM']I love T.J., but he needs to shut the fuck up and play his game on the field.[/quote]

Upon reflection, T.J. made his comments in the heat of the moment though, which is something the article is missing (more evidence of its massive bias).
[quote]A few minutes after the Baltimore Ravens beat his Cincinnati Bengals on Nov. 5[/quote]
Taking into consideration that he had just been the recipient of a bullshit non-call on pass interference, followed by him flipping out, screaming at the ref and slamming his helmet on the ground, then getting yelled at by Marvin, I imagine he hadn't quite calmed down yet.

Guest oldschooler
That "Lagging Bengals" article was written by Joe Kay.

He is an AP writer that covers the Cincinnati area.
I`ve said it before, He very rarely has anything good to say about the Bengals.
So I`m not surprised at all by his slant...

Anyone see this from Dr. Z? I'm never sure what to make of this guy.

"Cincinnati Bengals (6-5)
I can't get over the way their last Ravens game ended -- T.J. Houshmandzadeh, bear-hugged by the Ravens' nickelback Ronnie Prude, getting no call from the officials supposedly working the game, losing it, throwing his hat, getting flagged for that, you bet. Thunder all around, roars of anger, especially from me, since I had picked the Bingos to win. Now it's get even time."

[quote name='oldschooler' post='396107' date='Nov 29 2006, 11:18 AM']That "Lagging Bengals" article was written by Joe Kay.

So I`m not surprised at all by his slant...[/quote]

Thanks for the info on that, oldschooler.

:contract: [size=5][b]JOE KAY- FUCK YOU![/b][/size] :flip:

[quote name='Revolution #9' post='396181' date='Nov 29 2006, 01:32 PM']Anyone see this from Dr. Z? I'm never sure what to make of this guy.

"Cincinnati Bengals (6-5)
I can't get over the way their last Ravens game ended -- T.J. Houshmandzadeh, bear-hugged by the Ravens' nickelback Ronnie Prude, getting no call from the officials supposedly working the game, losing it, throwing his hat, getting flagged for that, you bet. Thunder all around, roars of anger, especially from me, since I had picked the Bingos to win. Now it's get even time."[/quote]
i dont either. i think i genuinely like the guy bc he seems pretty impartial, has cheered on the bengals for a few years now, and somehow called the perry pick, but his fickleness is quite sad. if we get screwed over by the refs, he wont mention it the next week, hell just say we suck and move us down in his rankings, but then later in the year if we start doing well or get a rematch hell say it was the shitty call that put us in this position and pick us to win. all in all i think he sort of enjoys watching the bengals, but is still afraid to come out of his shell. meh, what can you do?

[quote]That "Lagging Bengals" article was written by Joe Kay.

So I`m not surprised at all by his slant...[/quote]

I'm surprised he didn't use the Bungal word, it's usally in his articles. I think he hates the Bengals.

I've tried to find his email address on AP with no luck. Oldschooler, can you help me ?

Guest 52decleetzu
[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='396100' date='Nov 29 2006, 10:57 AM']Yeah, honestly. "Lagging Bengals" with a 2-game winning streak. That's some pretty fucking biased writing.[/quote]

I would guess the "lagging" the writer is talking about would be the 3 game gap between the B u n g l e s and the Ravens.

[quote name='52decleetzu' post='396344' date='Nov 29 2006, 04:15 PM']I would guess the "lagging" the writer is talking about would be the 3 game gap between the B u n g l e s and the Ravens.[/quote]

I thought it refered to justice catching up with the Murderer.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='bengalbutch' post='396334' date='Nov 29 2006, 03:58 PM']I'm surprised he didn't use the Bungal word, it's usally in his articles. I think he hates the Bengals.

I've tried to find his email address on AP with no luck. Oldschooler, can you help me ?[/quote]

I found it on this site.

[url="http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/opio/OPIO%20html%20report%20May%2005Page5.html"]http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/opio/OPIO%...%2005Page5.html[/url]

They list a phone number too...

Associated Press-Cincinnati Joe Kay Sports Writer (513) 241-2386 ext.0000 (513) 241-2665 [b]jkay@ap.org [/b]

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='396358' date='Nov 29 2006, 04:26 PM']no, no, no, "stabbing" is what youre thinking of... and thats perfectly legal[/quote]

So long as you are an NFL player.

Say, I just thought of something--what if the Real Killers(tm) in Ray-Ray's case are the same as in OJ's? They need to get together and sleuth it out.

Does anyone really have a problem with TJ saying this? I think we are more talented than the Ravens as well. Are we a better team? No, probably not yet. But what would you expect him to say? I guess you could argue nothing but to me, that signifies that we have a fear of looking stupid by saying we are better than them, which would mean that we don't think we are. That's not the attitude that I want this team to have. We need to play tougher football and I think it all starts with the mental aspect of the game. T.J. is a tough player and I like the fact that he stands by his statement. We lost 26-20 in a game that we were down 14 points three and a half minutes into the game. A better team would not have let us creep back in the game. The Colts are the best team in the AFC, not the Ravens and I don't think the Ravens are better than us either. Anyway, I am very excited for tomorrow night.

[quote name='52decleetzu' post='396344' date='Nov 29 2006, 05:15 PM']I would guess the "lagging" the writer is talking about would be the 3 game gap between the B u n g l e s and the Ravens.[/quote]

and seeing as how you knew about the word filter I'd say your much more the steeler fan than the raven fan. How is ole toothlessberger doing after that "Jacked Up" segment?

Take it to the trash talk area. 1 and only warning.

Archived