Why Our D-Line Sucked Against Pittsburgh

[quote name='jed0720' post='177395' date='Oct 27 2005, 09:18 PM']and of course - the reason Pittsburgh rushed for 221 yds is only because our defense line suck.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact the Pittsburgh has 3 Pro Bowl players on their offensive line. Or that Pittsburgh run the ball and that is what they do best and do it on a consistent basis.

Well since no one give Ben any credit as a QB -- it has to be the running game that allows them to go 15-1 and win 10 straight road games.

I wasn't happy with the way Cincinnati played this past week - but I do realize that Pittsburgh has a good team and running the ball is what they do best.[/quote]
Jacksonville hasn't got one pro powler on their O-line and have been mediocre all year. So how comes when Cincy comes into town, their O-line dominates our D-line. Pro bowlers or not, our D-line is getting blown off the LOS.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='177327' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:09 PM']Interesting read and all but.. Geathers looked like a beast last year when he only took snaps in certain passing situations. Now Shaun Smith looks beastly coming off the bench, and Geathers looks disappointing as he learns to play every down - no matter the situation. It'd be easy to say that Smith should be an every-down player based on his performance on a few plays, but I suspect he'd struggle just as much if he was taking every snap, be it 3rd & 2 or 1st & 15, up by 10 in the 2nd or down by 3 in the 4th...

It's kind of like the pinch-hitter in baseball; the manager puts a guy in who normally isn't a consistent threat because they think he'll succeed against a particular pitcher in a particular situation. In other words, there's usually a good reason they're called on to pinch-hit and aren't a part of the normal rotation. If they get the call and get a hit, it's easy to say "Why aren't they a starter?" but you have to consider that they're only having to play in the best possible situations where they're most likely to do well. Put them in the normal rotation and they'll be exposed as the niche players they are. Maybe all they can hit is a certain type of curve ball from left-handed pitchers.. If that's all they ever have to face, of course they look good. You get the idea.

My guess is that there's still a question as to who can do what & when.[/quote]

Very well put and I agree 100%

[/quote]
Jacksonville hasn't got one pro powler on their O-line and have been mediocre all year. So how comes when Cincy comes into town, their O-line dominates our D-line. Pro bowlers or not, our D-line is getting blown off the LOS.
[/quote]

Analists on NFL Network most of the blame on Thurman in the Jack game. He made many, many rookie mistakes. Over pursuded, etc.... Yes, he was all over the field and even they said he will be very good, but he was all over the field and out of position.

[quote name='cincity' post='177485' date='Oct 28 2005, 05:29 AM']I really don't think FA's are the way to go here. Look at the Vikings, I know Culpepper puts them in bad positions, but they are not that stout, even w/the Dancing Bear.

The Bears, Tampa, Ravens, Pittsburgh, Eagles, Patriots, drafted their defenses, Indy has made some good draft picks to improve their D.....

We are slowly getting the players we need Madieu, Pollack, L.Johnson, and of course Odell..... And by drafting, we save those big FA salaries..
IMO[/quote]
On the other hand, look at the team coming in this week. They signed Reggie White in the early 90's and they took off and became one of the premier teams in the league for about a decade. White was a big reason for that, among others (that Favre guy, maybe). My point is that a free agent can make a big difference, it just has to be the [i]right[/i] free agent.

If our run D continues at this sorry pace all year and doesn't show marked improvement, Marvin needs to go get a top notch space eater to sure things up.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='177486' date='Oct 28 2005, 05:45 AM'][quote name='jed0720' post='177395' date='Oct 27 2005, 09:18 PM']
and of course - the reason Pittsburgh rushed for 221 yds is only because our defense line suck.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact the Pittsburgh has 3 Pro Bowl players on their offensive line. Or that Pittsburgh run the ball and that is what they do best and do it on a consistent basis.

Well since no one give Ben any credit as a QB -- it has to be the running game that allows them to go 15-1 and win 10 straight road games.

I wasn't happy with the way Cincinnati played this past week - but I do realize that Pittsburgh has a good team and running the ball is what they do best.[/quote]
[/quote]

wuh? the team has only lost to the undefeated colts and denver who also has a better record than us..they didnt dominate our d line, they ran all over us outside, our LB's got owned all game long, the game is seeded for download, give me some times when the o-line got blown off the LOS and i will gladly give it a look.

Getting back here late, but just to clarify - I didn't say that Shaun Smith should start over JT or Robinson, I only agreed with the writer of the article that he should have been active and could have helped in the rotation at defensive tackle. I'm hoping most these guys listed in the article have taken a good look inside themselves over the week, and prove their professional abilities and worthiness in the weeks to come. Now I'm going to go get my Palmer - Favre shirt down at the ProShop. $20, but it looks pretty cool.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='177421' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:13 PM']We need better performance from EVERYONE on our defense. Even having had Madieu back there last Sunday wouldn't have helped much. The Steelers, like them or not, are a team that is REALLY good at running the football, and their offense is built around it.
We lost that game in the first quarter when we left 14 points on the field due to miscues and came away with three points. It changed the whole complexion of the game. Our style of offense relies on a quick start to mask our defensive liabilities up in the front seven and force teams to play from behind and throw the ball into our defensive strength, which is pas coverage, especially at the corner position.
Chad's TD stands, Henry doesn't drop that pass....Ben has to throw, and the game has a WAY different feel to it.
As it was, we didn't do that and we lost. We made several other blunders along the way that certainly didn't help, but if we had scored those 14 points in the 1st quarter, it would have been 27-20 in the 4th and Carson's "garbage" TD would have been to win the game....
But I agree with other posters, our run D is close to miserable. And a big name FA or draftee at DT certainly isn't going to hurt. Clemons needs to start, Geathers needs to return to situational pass rushing, Smith needs more playing time and our young LB's/DE's (Pollack plays both) need some lessons on staying home.
We are still a playoff team, but we need to be more consistent on offense to carry our defense and hope that our secondary can make plays when we require it....[/quote]
When Tory got that interception after the half I was like holy sh!t here we go then I still dont know how the fuk we melted down after that

Archived