Jason Allen (highly rated safety) on Sportsline last night.

Guest fredtoast

Guest fredtoast
Most of you have probably seen my posts about Jason Allen. He was a preseason All-American and rated as a sure first rounder before the '05 season. However he dislocated his hip in the 5th game of the season. My dream is that he will drop all the way to us in the second round. It all depends on how healthy he is by draft day. It is possible that he could drop much farther than that. Last night (1-18) on Sportsline he claimed that he was back to 90% already. I seriously doubt that, but I'm sure that he will be examined repeatedly by an army of the best doctors in the world before draft day.

I hope he is recovered enough for us to take him in the second, but not enough for another team to grab him before that. I know that Marvin won't hesitate to use a pick on an injured player because he took a chance on both Dennis Weathersby and Kelley Washington. I know that those two didn't pan out, but it wasn't because of the injury issues they had. If he pulls the trigger on Allen in the second round I think we could end up with the steal of the draft. Jason has CB cover skills, and was only moved to safety out of necessity in '05. All he did was lead the SEC in tackles and be named a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award given to the best DB in college. He would have probably been the first safety drafted after that season, but he returned to Tennessee for his senior year to prove that he could play CB. He was having another fine season until he got injured. He is not known for his big hits, but his tackling technique is perfect. I'd rather have a guy like him who wraps up and brings down the ball carrier than some head hunter who always goes for the knock-out and ends up wiffing on a lot of tackles. And finally one of the best things about Jason is that he is a great leader. He is one of the few players in Tennessee history to be named a captain in his junior year.

Guest Master Shake
I like the fact that he can hopefully play CB, but if he doesn't recover enough of his speed, he still has the size to convert to S, and we need both positions.
I don't think he's worth our first rounder, but if we don't go secondary in the 1st, and he's still there in the 2nd, then yeah, take him.

Hmmm....He sounds like a Madieu clone. Do we really need an enforcer back there?? After all, it was Madieu that was laying the wood in the middle of the field, plus Odell can rattle a few skulls when the defense calls for him to defend the deep middle.

I think this guy could be what Marvin is looking at. I mean look at what happened to DeAngelo Hall of the Falcons. Rookie year he had a hip injury, I wasn't sure whether he broke it or what. Came back about two thirds of the way in and is playing lights out right now.

I sense another Ben Wilkerson situation here. A guy that is super talented but sustains a major injury in senior year and misses most of the season. He gets passed over during the draft, and gets picked up by the Bengals as a rookie free agent. With no pressure to start right away (we would have Herring back at this time, and I'm sure he can handle it for a little while), he could use all of the offseson, plus the combine, and our OTA's to get right and be to compete at 100%. Plus that would give us another guy that we could kick down into the nickel package so that our best cover guys would be on the field at all times.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='McBallerson' post='206222' date='Jan 19 2006, 12:58 PM']What else did he say? Does he prefer to play CB or S at the next level? When is he expected to 100%? Are there any residual effects from his injury?

I don't know much about this guys situation so any info would be greatly appreacited.[/quote]

The hosts asked him what position he wanted to play in the NFL. (I'm pretty sure that he would like to be a CB because that was the main reason he gave for returning to play his senior year at Tennessee. He wanted to prove that he could play CB.) But on the show he answered like a pro. He said he didn't care what position they stuck him in. He feels that he can be a playmaker from any position; safety, corner, nickle, dime, whatever. He just wants to get on the field.

They also asked him what the team that drafts him will find out about him that they don't already know. He said that they will find out that he loves to practice. He says he really enjoys all the time he spends on football and is determined to put in whatever time is necessary to make himself successful.

They asked him what he gained by coming back for his senior year. He said it was mostly the mental part of the game. He also said that even though he was a Captain his junior year he felt like much more of a leader as a senior. He also felt like the younger players really looked to him as more of a leader as a senior.

Other than that is was mostly a bunch of fluff about if he got to meet any Bunnies at the Playboy All American photo shoot and stuff like that.

[img]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/17/173780.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.alligator.org/edit/sports/issues/stories/images/040920foot1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/tenn/galleries/04-football-UNLV/allen_4481-lg.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.booze-bros.com/~~~jason_allen.jpg[/img]

I smell another draft day steal. Another piece to add to the puzzle of our first superbowl championship. Even if we don't get him, someone is going to get a hell of a player when they draft him.

I still hope it's us though [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img]

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='207486' date='Jan 23 2006, 12:02 AM']I smell another draft day steal. Another piece to add to the puzzle of our first superbowl championship. Even if we don't get him, someone is going to get a hell of a player when they draft him.

I still hope it's us though [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] [/quote]

He looks like a real Football Player to me...And I mean that in a good way.

BZ

Archived