Mel Kiper talks about Darnell Bing

Guest CrazyIrishman5

Guest CrazyIrishman5
[i][b]Eric (Pasadena, CA):[/b] Where do you see Darnell Bing ending up and does he have a chance to be a 1st round pick?

[b]Mel Kiper:[/b] I'd say right now, he didn't run at the combine, he's a second or third rounder, depending on how he works out.[/i]

WOW! 2nd or 3rd.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='228365' date='Mar 9 2006, 02:27 PM']since when has Kiper know jack shit?[/quote]

Kiper is as good at predicting the draft as anyone out there. A lot of people hate him, and everyone can point out his big mistakes, but he is as good if not better than all the other "experts".

BTW he acknowledges that his prediction may change based on how he performs at his pro day workout.

I don't think he's out of line at all. 3rd round may be a bit drastic, but in no way is Bing a first rounder either.

The guy is not a great athlete and has pretty much zero coverage ability. At this point he's not in the class of Huff, Whitner, and probably Ko Simpson, so he will drop.

Guest CrazyIrishman5
[quote name='CarsonDaMan' post='228416' date='Mar 9 2006, 03:34 PM']I don't think he's out of line at all. 3rd round may be a bit drastic, but in no way is Bing a first rounder either.

The guy is not a great athlete and has pretty much zero coverage ability. At this point he's not in the class of Huff, Whitner, and probably Ko Simpson, so he will drop.[/quote]
I could be wrong but I heard he runs the 40 in the 4.4 range!

Guest Claptonrocks
Bing has been timed at 4.59.....at 227lbs ( combine weight ) he may be slower now....
In the box type.. big hitter....mediocre cover guy...
bengals will more than likely pass on this guy....

Ko Simpson has all around ability but is very young emotionally...

Im lliking Pat Watkins 6'4 211lbs 4.42 fla st more and more ...

[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='228665' date='Mar 10 2006, 12:17 AM']Bing has been timed at 4.59.....at 227lbs ( combine weight ) he may be slower now....
In the box type.. big hitter....mediocre cover guy...
bengals will more than likely pass on this guy....

Ko Simpson has all around ability but is very young emotionally...

Im lliking Pat Watkins 6'4 211lbs 4.42 fla st more and more ...[/quote]
I'm liking Daniel Bullocks and Anthony Smith myself.

Guest schotzee

[quote name='dieselman44' post='228737' date='Mar 10 2006, 03:52 AM']i see now reason to take a safety in the first round with the depth at the position.unless ofcourse an act of god happens and huff falls to us.[/quote]

I agree about there being no need,but if the three main DT's and the top TE prospects are
gone ,I would have no problm with Bing in the first or Simpson or Bullocks.
I am liking Roman Harper more and more especially if we could get him in the 4th round.
Couple him with Mark Anderson in the 3rd :headbang:
Anyway,can't copy again for some reason,but here is link.
[url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/romanharper.html"]http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...omanharper.html[/url]

[quote]Bing has been timed at 4.59.....at 227lbs ( combine weight ) he may be slower now....[/quote]

He's picked up some weight :blink:

[url="http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.php?key=Darnell%20Bing*"]http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.p...Darnell%20Bing*[/url]

Draftx.com value: 71

70-79 - Can be a first string player and start. Solid pro prospect.

WHAT OTHERS SAY: USC head coach Pete Carroll: "He's such a natural athlete. He's able to come up with the right decision and how to make his plays when the time comes. That's what allowed him to look so good so early and make a spot for himself...In practice, there have been a lot of balls that are tipped around and deflected, and he comes up with them. [u]He has great hands. He's extremely quick and strong, so when he gets in there, he can fight his way to the football...[/u]He's got a golden horseshoe in his back pocket. Sometimes there are safeties that are like that." [b]USC athletic director and former Heisman Trophy tailback Mike Garrett: "Pete Carroll came to me and said, 'You've got to give up your number.' I said, 'Really.' I said if Bing's that good, let him have it. But if he's not, I want my number back and retired. He sure looks good."[/b]

IMHO, now a 2nd Rounder.

[quote name='#22' post='229295' date='Mar 11 2006, 12:17 AM'][quote name='Mel Kiper' date='way back when']
The Bengals really reached for Levi Jones with their 12th Pick[/quote]
[/quote]

Tell the truth, were any of us happy when they took Levi at the time? I know I was not.

Hindsight is 20/20.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest schotzee
[quote name='fredtoast' post='228369' date='Mar 9 2006, 02:32 PM'][quote name='Bengals1181' post='228365' date='Mar 9 2006, 02:27 PM']
since when has Kiper know jack shit?[/quote]

Kiper is as good at predicting the draft as anyone out there. A lot of people hate him, and everyone can point out his big mistakes, but he is as good if not better than all the other "experts".

[b]BTW he acknowledges that his prediction may change based on how he performs at his pro day workout.[/b]
[/quote]
I know this an old post,but the statement in bold I find interesting.He was pretty much saying today,that
people make too big of a deal out of pro day results.For instance he said no way Jay Cutler should
have jumped ahead of Vince Young.The guy performs in big games.Nothing has changed since his
spectacular showing in the rose bowl.Anyway,I would be shocked if Bing makes it out of the first.
N.E. will not pass him up.

Archived