Anthony Schlegel

Guest Johnsons4Life

Guest Johnsons4Life
Any clue where he will go in the draft??? I think his name has got lost because of Hawk and Carpenter. Hes a solid LB though. Any thoughts??

Guest starkesn
[quote name='Jason' post='237872' date='Mar 24 2006, 02:04 PM']I'm thinking round 5 or 6.[/quote]

I would guess 5th round at the latest. Linebackers are so deep in this draft that there will be runs on the position on the first day. I think the depth of the class will actually help his stock. I would love to have him in the 5th if he's there.

Guest Johnsons4Life
Anthony Schlegel
ILB | (6'0", 250, 4.86) | OHIO STATE

Scouts Grade: 36

Strengths: His biggest strength is his tackling efficiency. He takes great angles and is a technically sound tackler that will get his head around the ball carrier and wrap up in space. He possesses adequate height, great bulk and is well-built. He has explosive power and is naturally strong. Plays with leverage, is thickly built and has very good lower body strength. He is disciplined, reads his keys well and won't make many mental errors. He's a downhill striker who fills hard and shows explosive initial pop at the POA. Does a very good job of taking on and disengaging from iso-blocks. Matches up very well in the phone booth. Shows good instincts on the blitz. Has been an effective pass rusher when turned loose. Is tough and relentless. A leader and high-character person with good intelligence and the mental capacity to pick schemes up quickly. Also has a great makeup for special teams in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Possesses marginal speed and below average athletic ability. He is stiff in the hips and loses too much in transition. Has decent range vs. the run in college and will be nothing more than a tackle-to-tackle run plugger in the NFL. He is too much of a straight-line player. Will have trouble adjusting in space vs. quicker and shiftier backs. He lacks ideal COD skills. Has limited range in zone coverage. Will be a liability vs. most NFL RB's man-to-man. Does not show good ball skills in coverage and has never been a big playmaker in that facet. Durability is a minor concern after offseason knee surgery prior to senior year (2005).

Overall: Schlegel began his collegiate career at Air Force. He started six of the 10 games that he played as a true freshman in 2001. He then finished with 116 tackles as a captain and fulltime starter during his sophomore season in 2002, earning first-team All-MWC honors. He transferred to Ohio State in 2003 and sat out that season due to NCAA transfer rules. He started eight of the 12 games he played in for the Buckeyes in 2004 and finished with 84 tackles, 10.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks. Schlegel started all 12 games as a senior in 2005 and finished second on the team with 82 tackles, including seven TFL and two sacks. Schlegel is a big, powerful, tough and aggressive middle linebacker prospect. He is an intelligent, disciplined and productive tackle-to-tackle run-plugger with outstanding tackling skills. However, Schlegel's lack of speed and athleticism really puts a low ceiling on his potential. He gets away with it at the collegiate level but he will have far less range versus the run in the NFL and he will be a liability in coverage. While he could possibly compete for a two-down role in the NFL, it's far more likely that Schlegel levels off as a backup ILB and special teams' contributor. Look for Schlegel to come off the 2006 draft board in the final two rounds.

This is coming from espn. They dont seem too high on him where he could start anywhere.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='237988' date='Mar 24 2006, 05:43 PM']His slow 40 time and having been paired with Hawk and Carpenter his entire career will hurt him even though he is a solid player. I agree with 5th round assessment.[/quote]

he only played with hawk and carpenter for one year. He was a star at Air Force if I"m not mistake before transferring to OSU.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='238014' date='Mar 24 2006, 07:05 PM'][quote name='akiliMVP' post='237988' date='Mar 24 2006, 05:43 PM']
His slow 40 time and having been paired with Hawk and Carpenter his entire career will hurt him even though he is a solid player. I agree with 5th round assessment.[/quote]

[b]he only played with hawk and carpenter for one year.[/b] He was a star at Air Force if I"m not mistake before transferring to OSU.
[/quote]

Im pretty sure he played with them for 2 years.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='238036' date='Mar 24 2006, 07:48 PM'][quote name='Bengals1181' post='238014' date='Mar 24 2006, 07:05 PM']
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='237988' date='Mar 24 2006, 05:43 PM']
His slow 40 time and having been paired with Hawk and Carpenter his entire career will hurt him even though he is a solid player. I agree with 5th round assessment.[/quote]

[b]he only played with hawk and carpenter for one year.[/b] He was a star at Air Force if I"m not mistake before transferring to OSU.
[/quote]

Im pretty sure he played with them for 2 years.
[/quote]

Well, 1 and 2/3. D'Andrea started the 2004 season, and got hurt 4 games in, and then Schlegel took over.

I like Anthony. I would agree it would take about a fifth for him. The guy I would really like to get is Ahmed Brooks in the supplemental draft. Not sure when he will get drafted there I would spent a 2007 3rd round pick for him.

Archived