NFL gives the Bengals the Rod...

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='239729' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:51 AM'][quote name='oldschooler' post='239728' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:48 AM']
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='239726' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:43 AM']
[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='239604' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:49 AM']
I used to think the Chiefs-Raiders rivalry was the most hated one in football but I believe the Bengal-Steeler one sperseeds that now..
The isnt two teams in football the dispise one another as much as Cincy and Pitt now...[/quote]

no way is the Bengals-Steelers game the biggest rivilary in football... are you serious? This might be the single most HOMER thread i've read in awhile... just because someone takes out your QB, doesn't mean it's a "great rivilary"... for us to become rivals with the Steelers, we need to win more than 1 out of 3 games against them in a year, and we need to win more games for them to even consider US a rival...
[/quote]

I`m pretty sure the Stealers already do consider the Bengals a rival.

Wines Hard doing the shuffle, Roethlisberger crying about Odell being tripped.
Cowher doing the We Dey chant not once but twice.

The Stealers dominated the Bengals in the 70`s. The Bengals dominated
the Stealers in the 80`s... the Stealers have been dominate since Coach Chin
took them over. And now the Bengals are going to take their turn at the top.
[/quote]

listen... we only beat them once in 3 times last year, and we were embarassed by talking all that shit after we beat them at thier home, then they came back and beat us in OUR house... not to mention, they did that twice. We will be a bigger rivilary in the upcoming years, but to say the cincy-pitt rivilary is the biggest in football is a little homerish.[/quote]

Yeah... you`re right. I guess that`s why the NFL seriously considered having the
Bengals and Stealers start the season off, because only homers see this as a newly
re-found, highly fueled with hatred, rivalry.

And we would have beaten them 2 out of 3 games if they didn`t cheap shot our QB...

[quote]And yes, I agree Pitt considers us a rival now, but we aren't thier "biggest" rival yet... but then again, when you're the steelers, pretty much everyone you play is considered a rival because it's just one of those teams you love to hate[/quote]

Ugghhh, we won THEIR division. Their coach, players and fans have made it abundantly
clear that we are their BIGGEST rival. Why you think it`s "homerish" to state the obvious
is beyond me...

[quote name='oldschooler' post='239731' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:58 AM'][quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='239729' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:51 AM']
[quote name='oldschooler' post='239728' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:48 AM']
I used to think the Chiefs-Raiders rivalry was the most hated one in football but I believe the Bengal-Steeler one sperseeds that now..
The isnt two teams in football the dispise one another as much as Cincy and Pitt now...[/quote]

no way is the Bengals-Steelers game the biggest rivilary in football... are you serious? This might be the single most HOMER thread i've read in awhile... just because someone takes out your QB, doesn't mean it's a "great rivilary"... for us to become rivals with the Steelers, we need to win more than 1 out of 3 games against them in a year, and we need to win more games for them to even consider US a rival...
[/quote]

[/quote]

listen... we only beat them once in 3 times last year, and we were embarassed by talking all that shit after we beat them at thier home, then they came back and beat us in OUR house... not to mention, they did that twice. We will be a bigger rivilary in the upcoming years, but to say the cincy-pitt rivilary is the biggest in football is a little homerish.[/quote]

Yeah... you`re right. I guess that`s why the NFL seriously considered having the
Bengals and Stealers start the season off, because only homers see this as a newly

And we would have beaten them 2 out of 3 games if they didn`t cheap shot our QB...

[quote]And yes, I agree Pitt considers us a rival now, but we aren't thier "biggest" rival yet... but then again, when you're the steelers, pretty much everyone you play is considered a rival because it's just one of those teams you love to hate[/quote]

Ugghhh, we won THEIR division. Their coach, players and fans have made it abundantly
clear that we are their BIGGEST rival. Why you think it`s "homerish" to state the obvious
is beyond me...
[/quote]

i dont think a single Steeler fan that visits this board has ever said we are thier biggest rival... they still hate Balt way more. Also, we won THIER division, but they won THE superbowl... and the NFL im sure considered many matchups to start the season, the steelers vs. bengals is a good football game, that doesn't make it "the best rivilary in football"....

im only really responding to claptonrocks orginial post about Pitt vs. Cincy

oh and quit with the 2 out 3 if they didn't cheap shot our QB... the whole crying thing about Carson is getting old. Its part of football, our QB went down, and we didn't have a backup capable or defense capable of winning the game. Last I checked, when Carson went down we were still in a position to win the game, and at the half we were winning (without Carson). I think we MAY have won too, but let's not forget we lost earlier to them at HOME without Carson as well...

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but let's not kid ourselves

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='239734' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:12 AM'][quote name='oldschooler' post='239731' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:58 AM']
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='239729' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:51 AM']
[quote name='oldschooler' post='239728' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:48 AM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

is beyond me...
[/quote]

i dont think a single Steeler fan that visits this board has ever said we are thier biggest rival... they still hate Balt way more. Also, we won THIER division, but they won THE superbowl... and the NFL im sure considered many matchups to start the season, the steelers vs. bengals is a good football game, that doesn't make it "the best rivilary in football"....

im only really responding to claptonrocks orginial post about Pitt vs. Cincy[/quote]

I agree that the Bengals-Cheaters aren`t the biggest rivalry in the NFL.
But you went on to say that the Bengals aren`t even the Cheaters
biggest rival. And after the way the last 2 meetings went down, and the Cowher
"We Dey" chants, I think that`s bullshit.

[quote]oh and quit with the 2 out 3 if they didn't cheap shot our QB... the whole crying thing about Carson is getting old. Its part of football, our QB went down, and we didn't have a backup capable or defense capable of winning the game. Last I checked, when Carson went down we were still in a position to win the game, and at the half we were winning (without Carson). I think we MAY have won too, but let's not forget we lost earlier to them at HOME without Carson as well...

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but let's not kid ourselves[/quote]

Name me one team that could have won in the Playoffs when they lost their
QB ? Do you think the Patriots would have won without Brady ? How about
the Stealers with Maddox ?

It had nothing to do with not having a capable defense. It had everything
to do with losing the Leader of the Offense. And replacing him with a guy
that was good enough to hold a clipboard and nothing else.

I haven`t ever "cried" or "whined" about the Stealers taking Palmer out.
I hate to hear people like you talk. Don`t tell me that because I`m still outraged
and have an undying hatred for the Stealers that I shouldn`t express myself as I see fit.
Obviously I have more passion for the Bengals than you do. I have spent hours
upon hours upon years searching, studying, analysizing, dreaming and hoping for
the Bengals to have a season like they had in '05. Only for it to be taken away
on the 2nd offensive play of the game.

If you think that`s "OK" and you just want to "move on"... that`s on you.
But don`t tell me that I should be less passionate than I am... just because you are...

[quote name='oldschooler' post='239743' date='Mar 28 2006, 10:37 AM']I agree that the Bengals-Cheaters aren`t the biggest rivalry in the NFL.
But you went on to say that the Bengals aren`t even the Cheaters
biggest rival. And after the way the last 2 meetings went down, and the Cowher
"We Dey" chants, I think that`s bullshit.

Name me one team that could have won in the Playoffs when they lost their
QB ? Do you think the Patriots would have won without Brady ? How about
the Stealers with Maddox ?

It had nothing to do with not having a capable defense. It had everything
to do with losing the Leader of the Offense. And replacing him with a guy
that was good enough to hold a clipboard and nothing else.

I haven`t ever "cried" or "whined" about the Stealers taking Palmer out.
I hate to hear people like you talk. Don`t tell me that because I`m still outraged
and have an undying hatred for the Stealers that I shouldn`t express myself as I see fit.
Obviously I have more passion for the Bengals than you do. I have spent hours
upon hours upon years searching, studying, analysizing, dreaming and hoping for
the Bengals to have a season like they had in '05. Only for it to be taken away
on the 2nd offensive play of the game.

If you think that`s "OK" and you just want to "move on"... that`s on you.
But don`t tell me that I should be less passionate than I am... just because you are...[/quote]

first off, you're acting like I'm not a HUGE Bengals supporter, and I think somehow in these posts you are mixing up your words and/or thoughts. ClaptonRocks stated that he felt the Bengals-Steelers rivilary was the biggest in football... I disagreed and called it homerism because we just now starting being competitive with the Steelers after they walked all over us the past few years. The Bengals and Steelers "rivilary" is there, but we have not given them as much trouble as the Ravens have in the past few years, which I believe, means that Steeler fans still hate the Ravens more and consider them still thier biggest rival.

As far as backup QBs go, the Pats won thier first superbowl with a backup QB in the game... Kitna is dogshit, we all knew that, but we still had a lead going into the half without Carson. It's tough to say we would have "won" that game with Carson and I think it's getting a little old. We got beat, we will get our revenge next year, but to dwell on the past is a little "lame" in my book. Carson will be back, Kitna will be gone, our D will be better, and then maybe we will beat the Steelers twice next year instead of 1 of 3.

but i guess since you're more "passionate" about the Bengals, I should quit voicing my opinions as well. See OLD, i don't live in the past. I don't let my life be run by something that happened in a football game 3 or so months ago, and I sure as hell don't "hate" anyone anymore because of what happened. Sure i was outraged and pissed and dissappointed that all the money I spent on one season, and many seasons of hope, went down the drain when our QB went down, but I moved on 3 months later... maybe you should to.

and if you hate to hear me talk (on a message board), then don't read the shit or respond to my posts... you started the discussion with me, not vice versa....

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Jason' post='239684' date='Mar 28 2006, 06:56 AM'][quote name='Claptonrocks' post='239604' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:49 AM']

I'd say Cowboys/Redskins is pretty intense.

And I still think if you asked the Steelers who their #1 rival is, most would say the Browns.
[/quote]

Chargers/Raiders

Tho it usually consists of Raider fans beatin the shit outta Charger fans...

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='239772' date='Mar 28 2006, 10:49 AM']first off, you're acting like I'm not a HUGE Bengals supporter, and I think somehow in these posts you are mixing up your words and/or thoughts. ClaptonRocks stated that he felt the Bengals-Steelers rivilary was the biggest in football... I disagreed and called it homerism because we just now starting being competitive with the Steelers after they walked all over us the past few years. The Bengals and Steelers "rivilary" is there, but we have not given them as much trouble as the Ravens have in the past few years, which I believe, means that Steeler fans still hate the Ravens more and consider them still thier biggest rival.[/quote]

I`m not "acting" like anything. And if you think the majority of Stealers
fans hate the Ravens more than they do Bengals... you haven`t been
paying attention to what`s been going on with this board, and/or you haven`t
visited bengals.com`s message board.

[quote]As far as backup QBs go, the Pats won thier first superbowl with a backup QB in the game... Kitna is dogshit, we all knew that, but we still had a lead going into the half without Carson. It's tough to say we would have "won" that game with Carson and I think it's getting a little old. We got beat, we will get our revenge next year, but to dwell on the past is a little "lame" in my book. Carson will be back, Kitna will be gone, our D will be better, and then maybe we will beat the Steelers twice next year instead of 1 of 3.[/quote]

The Pats won one game a couple of years ago with DREW BLEDSOE as their backup.
Kitna`s mistakes put more pressure on the Defense. It`s kind of hard to lose
your Pro Bowl, MVP candidate and not skip a beat.

And I really don`t care what`s "lame" in your book. I already hated the Stealers more
than all the other 30 NFL teams combined. All this season and the Playoffs did was
cement their position and throw more fuel on my fire of hatred.

[quote]but i guess since you're more "passionate" about the Bengals, I should quit voicing my opinions as well. See OLD, i don't live in the past. I don't let my life be run by something that happened in a football game 3 or so months ago, and I sure as hell don't "hate" anyone anymore because of what happened. Sure i was outraged and pissed and dissappointed that all the money I spent on one season, and many seasons of hope, went down the drain when our QB went down, but I moved on 3 months later... maybe you should to.[/quote]

Uggggh...it was the last game the Bengals played, and it was their first Playoff game in 15 years.
Sorry if that seems like the "past" to you and you don`t feel a need to "live there".

And no because your less passionate means that you should stop telling
people that are more passionate, how they should feel or react about something. It`s "lame"
to you because you don`t have the same "passion" as others like me. Well to me,
for someone that spends so much time on here to not give a fuck, and thinks others should be
the same way, is "lame" and kind of idiotic. But my I never told you to just stop being that way.

[quote]and if you hate to hear me talk (on a message board), then don't read the shit or respond to my posts... you started the discussion with me, not vice versa....[/quote]

I hate to hear people LIKE YOU talk about "crying", "whining" and telling people that they should
just "get over it". No one tells you how to react... so why don`t you try and be the same way ?
And usually when I see someone say something I hate to see (or hear) it makes me respond.
So why don`t you quit telling me not to react or feel a certain way and everything will be just fine... ^_^

[quote name='oldschooler' post='239847' date='Mar 28 2006, 01:42 PM']I`m not "acting" like anything. And if you think the majority of Stealers
fans hate the Ravens more than they do Bengals... you haven`t been
paying attention to what`s been going on with this board, and/or you haven`t
visited bengals.com`s message board.

[b] No i pay attention to this board... just because a couple of trolls come in and brag, doesn't mean they "hate" us more than the Ravens. As far as bengals.com message board, why the fuck would I want to go there? It's steelers.com there, and the bengals fans are soft as hell and talk like they are in grade school. go-bengals.com is my ONLY bengals site[/b]

The Pats won one game a couple of years ago with DREW BLEDSOE as their backup.
Kitna`s mistakes put more pressure on the Defense. It`s kind of hard to lose
your Pro Bowl, MVP candidate and not skip a beat.

[b] The pats won the superbowl with thier backup TOM BRADY, who was the backup until Bledsoe got hurt. Then Brady got the chance to shine. I'm not disagreeing with you that Kitna put a lot of pressure on the D, but in regards to what you said earlier, it's impossible to say we would have won with Carson in there... thought i think we would of, you can't say it either way [/b]

And I really don`t care what`s "lame" in your book. I already hated the Stealers more
than all the other 30 NFL teams combined. All this season and the Playoffs did was
cement their position and throw more fuel on my fire of hatred.

[b] Fair enough. I can't argue that either way. I respect your opinion on that. [/b]

Uggggh...it was the last game the Bengals played, and it was their first Playoff game in 15 years.
Sorry if that seems like the "past" to you and you don`t feel a need to "live there".

[b] It was the past because it happened 3 months ago man. I'm as hurt or more hurt as you from the outcome, but i dont dwell on the past, i look to get even in the future. By embarassing the Steelers in the future, you can help put behind the past [/b]

And no because your less passionate means that you should stop telling
people that are more passionate, how they should feel or react about something. It`s "lame"
to you because you don`t have the same "passion" as others like me. Well to me,
for someone that spends so much time on here to not give a fuck, and thinks others should be
the same way, is "lame" and kind of idiotic. But my I never told you to just stop being that way.

[b] Personally, i don't think you are any more passionate than I am about the Bengals, but you said you were, and I was just referencing that. Trust me, I have that same "passion". I give a fuck about the Bengals, but I don't think it's right to keep thinking about how ugly the past was, and we should all move on for the future... i mean we practically return our whole team. [/b]

I hate to hear people LIKE YOU talk about "crying", "whining" and telling people that they should
just "get over it". No one tells you how to react... so why don`t you try and be the same way ?
And usually when I see someone say something I hate to see (or hear) it makes me respond.
So why don`t you quit telling me not to react or feel a certain way and everything will be just fine... ^_^

[b] I dont get how you act like you didn't tell me how to act, before I commented on what you said to me: [i]If you think that`s "OK" and you just want to "move on"... that`s on you.
But don`t tell me that I should be less passionate than I am... just because you are...
[/i] You said that to me first. You commented on how I acted, so I came back at you. [/b]

[b] either way, this discussion is stupid. I'm done with it. We are both passionate Bengals fans with two different beliefs on how we should handle the bengals/steelers situation, and how the football world views it. I'll leave it at that.[/b][/quote]

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='239726' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:43 AM'][quote name='Claptonrocks' post='239604' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:49 AM']

[/quote]

we have won 2 of the last 3 in thier house..

definetly a big rivalry...

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='GoBengals' post='240077' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:34 PM'][quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='239726' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:43 AM']

[/quote]

we have won 2 of the last 3 in thier house..

definetly a big rivalry...
[/quote]

Gotta agree...maybe the most heated rivalry in the NFL...at least up there with Cowboys/Redskins, Chiefs/Raiders (as Clapton mentioned), and Broncos/Raiders...maybe I'm forgetting a couple but it's gotta be in the top 5 at least.

Guest Coy Bacon
The Bengals versus the Steelers is the biggest thing going out here in podunk, but outside of here, it's not up there with the Cowboys and Redskins or the Raiders and Chiefs, etc. Pittsburgh/Cleveland has traditionally been a bigger rivalry to both the Steelers and the Browns than either of their rivalries with the Bengals. They were always two heavy industry towns right down the road from each other.

The Bengals will be Pittsburgh's biggest rival when they break their hearts in more tough games, and when Pittsburgh players start getting carted off at the same clip that Bengals players are in their match-ups. Cincinnati isn't showing up tough enough often enough when the intensity gets like those 4 O'Clock wars the Redskins and Cowboys, or even the Redskins and Eagles used to have back in the day. The team and the fan base are going to have to become more blood-and-guts-football minded (more defensive studs popping chin straps and fewer silly-assed celebrations) before that happens.

[quote name='Coy Bacon' post='240110' date='Mar 28 2006, 10:41 PM']The Bengals versus the Steelers is the biggest thing going out here in podunk, but outside of here, it's not up there with the Cowboys and Redskins or the Raiders and Chiefs, etc. Pittsburgh/Cleveland has traditionally been a bigger rivalry to both the Steelers and the Browns than either of their rivalries with the Bengals. They were always two heavy industry towns right down the road from each other.

The Bengals will be Pittsburgh's biggest rival when they break their hearts in more tough games, and when Pittsburgh players start getting carted off at the same clip that Bengals players are in their match-ups. Cincinnati isn't showing up tough enough often enough when the intensity gets like those 4 O'Clock wars the Redskins and Cowboys, or even the Redskins and Eagles used to have back in the day. The team and the fan base are going to have to become more blood-and-guts-football minded (more defensive studs popping chin straps and fewer silly-assed celebrations) before that happens.[/quote]

:bowdown: :badger: :badger: :badger:

agreed... we're talking national rivilaries, in the national media, not just what we see in our home towns with our favorite team

In no way, shape or form am I suggesting it is the biggest rivalry going.

Before last season, I think there was more hatred from both teams towards the Ravens...And justifiably so.

But I think it's obvious that we are their biggest rival right now. Whether or not that grows to an 'All-League' rivalry depends on what happens in the next 2-3 seasons.

Like when Hines Ward's leg gets broken this year.

:ninja:

BZ

Archived