The Reds: Bound to fall?

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]The Reds: Bound to fall?[/b][/size]

Contending teams usually feature strong pitching and defense. The Reds are deficient in both areas, making it doubtful that they'll be a serious threat in the NL Central.

The Reds' split personality isn't as pronounced as it was last season, when they led the NL in both runs scored and runs allowed, finishing 73-89.

They were again first in runs scored entering Friday's play, but third in runs allowed — progress of sorts. Two of their projected starting pitchers, right-hander Paul Wilson and lefty Eric Milton, are on the DL, though neither is certain to be a significant contributor. Veteran reliever Rick White, 37, might have the best fastball on the club.

The defense doesn't help matters. The Reds committed 22 errors in their first 22 games, most in the majors, and ranked 25th out of 30 in defensive efficiency, a statistic that measures the percentage of balls in plays that are converted into outs.

The defensive struggles of third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, who leads the majors with eight errors, are curious; Encarnacion, 23, does early work every day with bench coach Bucky Dent, according to G.M. Wayne Krivsky.

"He has enough raw ability that it shouldn't be so difficult — he's got a good arm, good enough feet, good enough reactions," says a scout who recently saw the Reds. "But it might just be that he's a bat who belongs in the American League."

Left fielder Adam Dunn, who has made four errors, is another issue.

"He's worse now than he has ever been in the outfield," the scout says. "His range is limited. His routes to balls are a little scary. They're going to have to move him to first base."[/quote]

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5551338"]http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5551338[/url]

i have been thinkin the same thing all along... jsut watiing for things to start ot cach up to us but the team keeps proving me wrong... will be nice to see how we do against the cards today and tomorrrow.

Hate on, haters. Them bastards don't even realize that we could get Paul Wilson back any day now, and we have a new capable starter in Elizaro RAmierez. Plus the guy we traded Pena for happens to have a 5-0 record, and our relievers for the most part haven't been giving up the ghost lately.

Not to mention that our former ace Aaron Harang seems to be pitching better this year than last. Our staff is solid in the starter spots, 4 out of five isn't bad at all.

The stupid fucks can't stand that they can't shit on the Reds like they could do in previous years. We have the best record in baseball, and as long as our crew can continue to play smallball, keep the errors to a minimum and our starting pitching staff continues to go deep in games, we will be fine.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='261949' date='May 2 2006, 11:34 AM']Hate on, haters. Them bastards don't even realize that we could get Paul Wilson back any day now, and we have a new capable starter in Elizaro RAmierez. Plus the guy we traded Pena for happens to have a 5-0 record, and our relievers for the most part haven't been giving up the ghost lately.

Not to mention that our former ace Aaron Harang seems to be pitching better this year than last. Our staff is solid in the starter spots, 4 out of five isn't bad at all.

The stupid fucks can't stand that they can't shit on the Reds like they could do in previous years. We have the best record in baseball, and as long as our crew can continue to play smallball, keep the errors to a minimum and our starting pitching staff continues to go deep in games, we will be fine.[/quote]

you pretty much stole my thunder.... but i'll add that our defensive problems are getting better :unsure: and our last BIG weakness is our bullpen, which will get better when we get wilson back, and we will be able to use williams as our long relief guy... belisle has some serious stuff, and might do well in set up roles... i've always been extremely impressed w/ wagner's stuff, and he is our future closer... hopefully he can pull it together soon, and get to thet majors again, b/c he has the stuff to do it... i know this is alot of if's, but they are realistic... and ifs happened, then a combo of white, merker, and weathers would be a very good lineup as our middle relief guys... w/ this lineup, 3 very strong starters (clausson, harrang, and arroya) along w/ a previously good pitchers in milton and wilson... we actually have 2 other guys that can fill in for those two, if they don't pan out (rodriguez and williams)... just let those 4 guys fight for those last 2 spots, and good things will happen, barring injuries...

i definately see this writers point, but we are doing all of this w/out good relief pitching and good defense, and i see both getting better as the season wears on... the stars are aligning so far...

Guest Master Shake

[quote name='bengalrick' post='262131' date='May 2 2006, 04:14 PM']you pretty much stole my thunder.... but i'll add that our defensive problems are getting better :unsure: and our last BIG weakness is our bullpen, which will get better when we get wilson back, and we will be able to use williams as our long relief guy... belisle has some serious stuff, and might do well in set up roles... i've always been extremely impressed w/ wagner's stuff, and he is our future closer... hopefully he can pull it together soon, and get to thet majors again, b/c he has the stuff to do it... i know this is alot of if's, but they are realistic... and ifs happened, then a combo of white, merker, and weathers would be a very good lineup as our middle relief guys... w/ this lineup, 3 very strong starters (clausson, harrang, and arroya) along w/ a previously good pitchers in milton and wilson... we actually have 2 other guys that can fill in for those two, if they don't pan out (rodriguez and williams)... just let those 4 guys fight for those last 2 spots, and good things will happen, barring injuries...

i definately see this writers point, but we are doing all of this w/out good relief pitching and good defense, and i see both getting better as the season wears on... the stars are aligning so far...[/quote]

Hey bengalrick, are you gonna finally start giving Dunn some love???

He's on pace for 60 HR, 108 RBI, 162 runs scored!!! :bowdown:

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Master Shake' post='262137' date='May 2 2006, 04:18 PM']Hey bengalrick, are you gonna finally start giving Dunn some love???

He's on pace for 60 HR, 108 RBI, 162 runs scored!!! :bowdown:[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img]

j/k... i go up and down constantly on dunn... if you go through this forum, you will find about 3 or 4 "eat crow" threads or posts from me...

its not that i don't like him, but he annoys me a lot of times... i enjoy watching him hit though, and i hope to see him get better and better... but if they move him to first, there will be some shit talking coming from me for a minute, until i'm proven wrong... i like him in left field, and thats about it :D

Guest Master Shake

[quote name='bengalrick' post='262148' date='May 2 2006, 04:26 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img]

j/k... i go up and down constantly on dunn... if you go through this forum, you will find about 3 or 4 "eat crow" threads or posts from me...

its not that i don't like him, but he annoys me a lot of times... i enjoy watching him hit though, and i hope to see him get better and better... but if they move him to first, there will be some shit talking coming from me for a minute, until i'm proven wrong... i like him in left field, and thats about it :D[/quote]

I agree Dunn is a frustrating player...but to me it's because he's so close to the brink of greatness that it's maddening that he can't take that one last step into superstardom.

I think five years from now we'll think it's crazy that anyone wanted to trade him.

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='Master Shake' post='262137' date='May 2 2006, 04:18 PM']Hey bengalrick, are you gonna finally start giving Dunn some love???

He's on pace for 60 HR, 108 RBI, 162 runs scored!!! :bowdown:[/quote]

how sad is that....60 HRs but only 108 RBIs, that unclutch solo HR'n piece of shit. How many walks and how many k's for projections?

[quote name='bengalrick' post='262148' date='May 2 2006, 04:26 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img]

[b]its not that i don't like him, but he annoys me a lot of times... [/b]i enjoy watching him hit though, and i hope to see him get better and better... but if they move him to first, there will be some shit talking coming from me for a minute, until i'm proven wrong... i like him in left field, and thats about it :D[/quote]

thats my opinion exactly. i dont hate him either, but he is so damn annoying because when runners r on he always seems to whiff and then he hits these massive HRs with no one on base. Id love to see him start knocking guys in and striking out less. He only has 3 doubles i think this year, he really needs to start getting more clutch and consistent.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='262163' date='May 2 2006, 04:41 PM']I agree Dunn is a frustrating player...but to me it's because he's so close to the brink of greatness that it's maddening that he can't take that one last step into superstardom.
I think five years from now we'll think it's crazy that anyone wanted to trade him.[/quote]

first: 5 years from now i doubt he is here.

2nd: Dunn actually went opposite field yesterday, i almost shit my pants when i saw that, if he could only start hitting the ball to where its pitched and not try to pull everything he would increase his talents GREATLY, including his inability to be clutch and his 249 career average LOL!!!

Guest schotzee

Is there a common link?Correct me if I'm wrong,Danville you say how the starting pitching is
doing so well.Which it certainly is.bengalrick you say one of our biggest problems is the pen.
Tom Hume was the bullpen coach right?Now he's pitching coach right?
Bullpen got worse starting pitching got better.Is the credit due to Hume?or is it the talent with the starters
is just better or some talentin the pen was lost.
Of course if I am wrong about Hume being the pen coach last year ,then ignore this question. :wacko:

Guest WhoDeyForever
[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='261949' date='May 2 2006, 11:34 AM']Hate on, haters. Them bastards don't even realize that we could get Paul Wilson back any day now, and we have a new capable starter in Elizaro RAmierez. Plus the guy we traded Pena for happens to have a 5-0 record, and our relievers for the most part haven't been giving up the ghost lately.

The stupid fucks can't stand that they can't shit on the Reds like they could do in previous years. We have the best record in baseball, and as long as our crew can continue to play smallball, keep the errors to a minimum and our starting pitching staff continues to go deep in games, we will be fine.[/quote]
Amen

[quote name='schotzee' post='262203' date='May 2 2006, 05:28 PM']Is there a common link?Correct me if I'm wrong,Danville you say how the starting pitching is
doing so well.Which it certainly is.bengalrick you say one of our biggest problems is the pen.
Tom Hume was the bullpen coach right?Now he's pitching coach right?
Bullpen got worse starting pitching got better.Is the credit due to Hume?or is it the talent with the starters
is just better or some talentin the pen was lost.
Of course if I am wrong about Hume being the pen coach last year ,then ignore this question. :wacko:[/quote]

I really don't know, we have basically the same staff as of last year, and for the most part they are doing much better than they did at the same time last year. Harang is playing like an ace, Arroyo is a fucking man possessed, Claussen has his moments, and when Milton was healthy, he was hitting his spots with very little error. Maybe it's because it appears that we have more starter arms than spots in the rotation, and as a result, there is more pressure to pitch well and eat innings. We have Wilson in the wings, plus Milton when he returns from the DL, and now we have a pretty consistent (albeit 2 starts) arm in Elizaro Ramierez.

Logic would dictate that if Hume was responsible for the immense improvement in the rotation, then the pen would have been better last year than this year. How good did our pen perform last year, considering that they were put into so many holes thanks to our starters? Also, who was in the pen last year, because I think we did lose an arm or two, but I think they may have been replaced with better ones though.

Sorry I couldn't adequately answer your queestion, schotzee. :(

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='262243' date='May 2 2006, 06:25 PM']According to the site, Tom Hume is the interim pitching coach, but in the bio it says that he is in his 11th year of coaching the bullpen.

Hmmm....[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img][/quote]

the pitching coach is different than the bullpen coach. Tom Hume has been the bullpen coach for 11years. Verne Rule (who is battling cancer) took over for Don Gullet last year after he was fired.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='262251' date='May 2 2006, 06:40 PM']the pitching coach is different than the bullpen coach. Tom Hume has been the bullpen coach for 11years. Verne Rule (who is battling cancer) [b]took over for Don Gullet last year after he was fired[/b].[/quote]

Best decision EVER!

Guest oldschooler

I hope to God that the Reds prove this asshole wrong !

[quote][size=5][b]The Hot Corner: Cincy’s red-hot start doomed to fall apart[/b][/size]
by Kiel McLaughlin

May 04, 2006

[b]When the Bengals decided to ruin football tradition and actually start winning games, I suppose the Reds decided to join in on the fun.[/b] (up your`s Mr Asshole :flip: )
Cincinnati’s ball club has been the second team in Ohio for the last two plus decades. So far this season, they’ve jumped out to a 19-8 start and a first place position in the National League’s Central division. After starting out 10-6, the Reds have won nine of their last 10 games, including a two-game sweep over the powerful St. Louis Cardinals. The 19 wins were the most of any team in baseball entering Wednesday afternoon.

Bronson Arroyo’s arrival in Cincy from Boston has led to a major turnaround for the one-of-a-kind right-hander. When I say one-of-a-kind, I don’t mean he has especially nasty stuff, but the laid back, guitar playing, corn-rowed Arroyo is a completely different personality than any other player in the bigs.

Since his debut, Arroyo has been lights out on the mound, turning himself into the staff’s ace. Holding opposing hitters to a .182 batting average, Arroyo has a 5-0 record with an ERA of 2.06. While Arroyo has carried the rotation early this season, a surprisingly powerful lineup has propelled the Reds into their current position. Everybody knew Adam Dunn was going to hit for power with a low batting average. No surprise there.

Shortstop Brandon Phillips and first baseman Rich Aurilia are the names that have taken the team to new heights. The last time Phillips played a full season was 2002 when he hit six homers and knocked in 33 runs over 112 games. Through 19 games this year, he has already notched three bombs, knocked in 23 and has batted .343. Aurilla is batting a realistic .293, but the alarming number is his five home runs. He hasn’t hit more than 15 bombs in a season in the last five years. A pair of speedy plate-setters has kept the offense in motion. Ryan Freel and Felipe Lopez have combined for 17 stolen bases this year; by applying that kind of pressure runs will be scored. Neither player is batting near .300, which will eventually become a problem.

The Reds are a feel-good story now; however they will be out of contention come the All-Star break. Neither Phillips nor Aurilia have the track record to make us believe they will continue their hot streaks.

Lopez and Freel do not have strong enough on-base percentages to keep the offense moving. Also, beyond Arroyo, the pitching staff is weak. Aaron Harang has started the season with an optimistic 4-1 record, but a high ERA and batting average against make me wary of whether or not he can continue to put Cincinnati in position to win games. David Weathers has been shaky at best in the ninth, walking seven batters in 12 innings.

In a division where the St. Louis Cardinals can be penciled in for at least 90 wins, it would be difficult to imagine the Reds are going to be consistent enough to maintain their hot streak over a 162-game stretch. I wish the boys at Great American Ballpark the best of luck, but to the fans of Cincinnati, I’d start getting ready for Bengals mini-camp.[/quote]

[url="http://www.thetowerlight.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/05/04/445979eda9cdd"]http://www.thetowerlight.com/vnews/display...4/445979eda9cdd[/url]

Y'know, homerism aside, the scenario he described is quite plausible.
However, nobody likes to have their fun taken from them this early in the year, especially since we have momentum like we do now.
I prefer to think that a lot of this success is predicated on ownership/management instilling a winning attitude that wasn't present under the previous owners/mgrs.
So yeah, fuck that guy.

Guest bengalrick

these are the same guys that predicited us to be dead last in the major's this year... just trying to justify their amazingly bad predictions.... good luck w/ that fuckers... :1violin:

Archived