Reds select Drew Stubbs OF Texas

Guest schotzee
Would have preferred a good pitching prospect but this kid sounds like he might be a nice selection.
[url="http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=18&change_well_id=17&member_id=16"]http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&ur...17&member_id=16[/url]

Guest whodey 85
Im pissed, why the hell would u take an outfielder wit a couple of good arms on the board? Lincecum was the perfect pick there, a good college pitcher who could probably make it to the Reds roster before the end of the season.

Guest bengalrick
can't have enough outfielders......

well, actually you can...... didn't we select an outfielder in the first round last year too?

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='bengalrick' post='278437' date='Jun 6 2006, 02:53 PM']can't have enough outfielders......

well, actually you can...... didn't we select an outfielder in the first round last year too?[/quote]

Yeah, we did. And yeah, we do have too many outfielders.

With the baseball draft, and the number of drafted players that actually ever see the major leagues, you [b]HAVE[/b] to draft the best player available.

Height: 6-4
Weight: 201
Class: Jr.-2L
Hometown: Atlanta, TX (Atlanta)
This season's numbers.
12 hr's
58 rbi's
26 sb's
in 243 ab's
also....60 k's

Does he remind anyone else of Dale Murphy?

[img]http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/stubbs_drew.jpg[/img]

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='KY_Bengal' post='278450' date='Jun 6 2006, 03:31 PM']I like the pick. He can play ball and hes a smart kid who will stay out of trouble.[/quote]

Id rather have a dumbass who beats the shit out of his teamates who can pitch.

[quote name='Jason' post='278442' date='Jun 6 2006, 03:08 PM']With the baseball draft, and the number of drafted players that actually ever see the major leagues, you [b]HAVE[/b] to draft the best player available.

Height: 6-4
Weight: 201
Class: Jr.-2L
Hometown: Atlanta, TX (Atlanta)
This season's numbers.
12 hr's
58 rbi's
26 sb's
in 243 ab's
also....60 k's

Does he remind anyone else of Dale Murphy?

[img]http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/stubbs_drew.jpg[/img][/quote]

reminds me of Dunn...Reds glaring weakness is pitching (pitching has been decent the past month but still, you'd like to shore that up) and they select a guy with a big bat who strikes out a lot...

how many guys like that do you want to entertain.

I hope he is better in the clutch...

It reminds me of past Bengal drafts when they needed D drafting a QB.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='278459' date='Jun 6 2006, 03:43 PM']our second pick is a rhp "with a nasty nuckle-curve."

im not too sure wtf that is, but im pretty positive i wouldnt want to try to hit it.[/quote]

I get scared when I see any pitch involving knuckle-impossible to control. knuck-curve, what the hell kind of pitch is that...if he can control it, sounds like bottom fall out...

[quote name='BK Cincy Connection' post='278469' date='Jun 6 2006, 04:07 PM']reminds me of Dunn...Reds glaring weakness is pitching (pitching has been decent the past month but still, you'd like to shore that up) and they select a guy with a big bat who strikes out a lot...

It reminds me of past Bengal drafts when they needed D drafting a QB.[/quote]

How many pitchers the Reds have drafted in the first round the past 10 years have made the big league club?

And this guy is a CF. Junior is getting along in years, and this kid is one of the best defensive outfielders, if not the best, in the draft.

As I said, this is baseball, not the NFL. The number of draft picks that ever play a game in the big leagues is much smaller. You have to take the best player available.

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='BK Cincy Connection' post='278470' date='Jun 6 2006, 04:09 PM']I get scared when I see any pitch involving knuckle-impossible to control. knuck-curve, what the hell kind of pitch is that...if he can control it, sounds like bottom fall out...[/quote]

A knuckle-curve is just instead of holdin the ball wit your two fingers straight, u put one finger straight and the other like a knuckle ball. The ball is a slower curveball that may break more, but like u said, it is hard to control. I cant throw it worth shit, I like a normal curve better.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='dieselman44' post='278455' date='Jun 6 2006, 03:37 PM']I like the pick because the kid is proven. Pitchers can be found in later rounds.[/quote]

hey diesel we agree on something.

[quote name='BK Cincy Connection' post='278469' date='Jun 6 2006, 04:07 PM']reminds me of Dunn...Reds glaring weakness is pitching (pitching has been decent the past month but still, you'd like to shore that up) and they select a guy with a big bat who strikes out a lot...

It reminds me of past Bengal drafts when they needed D drafting a QB.[/quote]

he is nothing like Dunn, 60k's in 243 ab's really isnt htat many. 120 on a year that is maybe slightly worse than avg. Dunn is around the 180-210 k's depending on how much he plays.

and u dont draft in baseball drafts for need u draft for talent. drafting for need is when u get Ty Howingtons and Chris Grulers...

[quote name='Jason' post='278471' date='Jun 6 2006, 04:13 PM']How many pitchers the Reds have drafted in the first round the past 10 years have made the big league club?

And this guy is a CF. Junior is getting along in years, and this kid is one of the best defensive outfielders, if not the best, in the draft.

As I said, this is baseball, not the NFL. The number of draft picks that ever play a game in the big leagues is much smaller. You have to take the best player available.[/quote]

Junior is old and Dunn will be gone in 3 years max, Kearns may be gone by then too. When u draft u draft for 3 and 4 years down the road at the earliest. OF will be a need and this guy is good defensively, unlike most of our team. Great pick.

[quote name='whodey 85' post='278472' date='Jun 6 2006, 04:16 PM']A knuckle-curve is just instead of holdin the ball wit your two fingers straight, u put one finger straight and the other like a knuckle ball. The ball is a slower curveball that may break more, but like u said, it is hard to control. I cant throw it worth shit, I like a normal curve better.[/quote]

whodey jsut described it pretty good, i could throw one, it is much slower than the typical curveball, but if it is on it is almost unhittable. Its not really tough to control, its harder to get the movement than anything. If ur pitch isnt working then u tend to have real slow changeups that hitters can feast on. It is kinda like how some days a pitchers curve/slider has nasty movement on it and other days it doesnt do shit. It will be tougher for him to keep it consistent than in the strike zone.

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='278488' date='Jun 6 2006, 04:47 PM']also no one should question Krivsky cuz he showed himself to be a pretty strong drafter in Minnesota.[/quote]

Actually, Krivsky isnt doing tha drafting. He hired Chris Buckley to do the drafting, so Ill go ahead and question him.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='whodey 85' post='278507' date='Jun 6 2006, 05:05 PM']Actually, Krivsky isnt doing tha drafting. He hired Chris Buckley to do the drafting, so Ill go ahead and question him.[/quote]

Krivsky has guys gather together for shit, but the final word will go thru Krivsky, if im not mistaken Buckley was a scout for Twins during Krivskys time there i believe. Thats like saying Marvin doesnt do the drafting, he goes on his scouts words mainly, Krivsky doesnt really check out the spects until the past couple of weeks, but he def. has a spot in doing the drafting.

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='278508' date='Jun 6 2006, 05:09 PM']Krivsky has guys gather together for shit, but the final word will go thru Krivsky, if im not mistaken Buckley was a scout for Twins during Krivskys time there i believe. Thats like saying Marvin doesnt do the drafting, he goes on his scouts words mainly, Krivsky doesnt really check out the spects until the past couple of weeks, but he def. has a spot in doing the drafting.[/quote]

Im not sayin Krivsky isnt involved, but Buckley is THE main guy doin tha draft. It's pretty much Buckley deciding and asking Kriv "r u ok wit this pick." Then if Krivsky says ok, then its done, but if he doesnt, then obviously it wont happen and Buckley asks him about another guy.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='whodeybengals59' post='278519' date='Jun 6 2006, 05:26 PM']They sure are loading up on relievers.......how about some starters?[/quote]

lots of College RPs get moved to starting pitching in the minors and they build duration thru the minors.

not to mention bullpen is something that depth is always needed at. and this draft is pretty thin and the SP was gonna go pretty quick.

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='whodeybengals59' post='278519' date='Jun 6 2006, 05:26 PM']They sure are loading up on relievers.......how about some starters?[/quote]

Yeah fa real, they have took like 6 relievers in the first 10 rounds. Not a single damn starter yet. Couple dudes still left is Brandon Belt, who is a good lookin starter. And a kid named Walden, cant think of his first name, can throw 99mph, we sure need someone like that.

[quote][b]Reds draft Texas outfielder[/b]
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Drew Stubbs, the Reds' first pick in the amateur draft, expects to report for duty fairly quickly.

Stubbs, the University of Texas outfielder, was expecting the Reds to pick him. His agent, Ryan Ware, has already begun talks with club.

"They know I'm not going to be difficult to sign," he said. "That's all been ironed out. I won't be hard to sign."

Stubbs, 21, just completed his junior year for the Longhorns. He is similar to last year's top pick, Jay Bruce, in that he combines speed and power. Stubbs is 6-foot-4, 201 pounds. Baseball America rated him as the best defensive player, best athlete and second best baserunner of the college players in the draft.

"Speed is probably must best asset," he said. "A lot of guys don't have that. I can change the game with my legs."

Stubbs, who is from Atlanta, Texas, was drafted in the third round out of high school by the Houston Astros. The Astros tried to sign him to a $900,000 bonus, but the commissioner's office asked Houston not exceed the third round bonus average by so much and the deal fell apart.

"I was disappointed," he said. "But when it fell apart, I think it may have been the best thing for me. I wanted to go to college."

Stubbs hit .342 with a .439 on-base percentage this year and had 12 home runs, 58 RBI and 26 steals in 231 at-bats. He did strike out 60 times.

"I think when I get more at-bats it'll cure a lot of those problems," he said. "I don't consider myself a big power hitter who strikes out or hits a home run."

The Reds' other selctions today include:

--Round 2: Sean Watson, a right-handed pitcher from the University of Tennessee. He was the Vols' closer this year, going 4-3 with a 4.61 ERA and 11 saves.

--Round 3: Christopher Valaika, a shortstop form the University of California-Santa Barbara.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060606/SPT04/306060020"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Archived