video card problems

Well I seem to have run into a problem last night with my PC. I was cleaning out the inside of my computer( I have 3 cats). I had unplugged everything took out my video card, net card, and sound card to clean them off. I put everything back into the case hooked up all the connectors then plugged the power back into the computer.

Now when I start the computer up it just beeps constantly and says the power is not connected to my Radeon 9700 pro. There is power connected to it though because the fan turns on.

Im really afraid something happened to my card but I dont know what. Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

[quote name='soundstreamer' post='297379' date='Jul 20 2006, 06:25 PM']Well I seem to have run into a problem last night with my PC. I was cleaning out the inside of my computer( I have 3 cats). I had unplugged everything took out my video card, net card, and sound card to clean them off. I put everything back into the case hooked up all the connectors then plugged the power back into the computer.

Now when I start the computer up it just beeps constantly and says the power is not connected to my Radeon 9700 pro. There is power connected to it though because the fan turns on.

Im really afraid something happened to my card but I dont know what. Any help would be appreciated.

Alan[/quote]

i think the real problem here is why you have 3 cats. :mellow:

j/k

video cards arent my cup of tea, i would make sure its completey in the slot, is it a regular psi video card? or agp? if pci, toss it in a different slot.. clearly its getting power like you said...

well I only had one cat then I got married and my wife has 2. More than I ever wanted but wouldnt give them away for anything.

My card is a MSI MS-6330 K7T Turbo2. It uses an AGP slot and I have cleaned out the slot and reseated the board a couple of times. I also used my other 4 pin connector from my power supply and it still has the same problem. :rant:

Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='soundstreamer' post='297393' date='Jul 20 2006, 06:50 PM']well I only had one cat then I got married and my wife has 2. More than I ever wanted but wouldnt give them away for anything.

My card is a MSI MS-6330 K7T Turbo2. It uses an AGP slot and I have cleaned out the slot and reseated the board a couple of times. I also used my other 4 pin connector from my power supply and it still has the same problem. :rant:

Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

Were you grounded when you took out the cards & how did you clean it?

The card might be shot.. easy thing to try, go to a local store (even walmarts have video cards now) buy another.. if it still doesnt work, you got bigger problems.. take the card back for a refund. Even if it does work, at least you know now it's your card.. still take it back for a refund. Don't pay retail! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img] Order one online! my 2 cents.. B)

ps... it's possible while in their, something came loose or you accidentally hit something without knowing. Looking at a pic of the board, when putting the card back in.. you might have tapped the memory or something, i'd reseat the memory. Worth a try.. (n/m.. reRead your first post.. shouldn't be getting that error if the memory wasn't seated correctly.. but still check! :))

I made sure I was grounded before I removed and replaced my card. I have reseated my memory and cleaned out both the RAM and AGP slots with compressed air. I have checked my board an I see no signs of any burn marks at all. I have fried car stero amps on purpose before and know what a burnt board looks like. :headbang:

I have since replaced my card with a really old GeForce card that requires no extra power supply and it loads to windows fine.

I think I might try your Walmart idea if I cant figure anything out soon.

[quote name='soundstreamer' post='297581' date='Jul 20 2006, 10:20 PM']I made sure I was grounded before I removed and replaced my card. I have reseated my memory and cleaned out both the RAM and AGP slots with compressed air. I have checked my board an I see no signs of any burn marks at all. I have fried car stero amps on purpose before and know what a burnt board looks like. :headbang:

I have since replaced my card with a really old GeForce card that requires no extra power supply and it loads to windows fine.

I think I might try your Walmart idea if I cant figure anything out soon.[/quote]

On the video card, where you plug the power (molex)connector into.. is it loose/does it wiggle any? Sometimes those are fragile and can come apart-(from the solder points) when unplugging it. Usually not.. unless ya really yanking/wiggling it when trying to pull it out, which they are sometimes a pain in the ass to get out.

Guest CincyInDC
Hey SoundS,

Fried computer parts don't always have craters, scorch marks or funny burnt smells. But _sometimes_ they do. Anywho, with computer diagnostics it's always best to use the scientific method. No shit. Modify one variable at a time. Your computer with the old video card (AGP, right?) works. With the new-ish video card (AGP, too?) it doens't. You haven't changed anything else? If that's the case, it's the new-ish video card causing the problem. There can be exceptions, but this line of thinking works over 95% of the time. It can fail when combinations of hardware cause problems. Most of the time, you'll be fine, though.

Archived