The Bad Boy is gone

Guest Gonzoid

Guest Gonzoid
[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060819/SPT/308190012/-1/rss"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...08190012/-1/rss[/url]

[quote][b][size=5]Stewart leaving Reds booth[/size][/b]
BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds informed radio broadcaster Steve Stewart on Friday that his contract will not be renewed.

Stewart, 43, originally signed a two-year deal when the Reds hired him in February 2004 and in September received a one-year contract extension.

“They knew that I wanted to know as soon as possible,” Stewart said. “I wasn’t happy with the decision, disappointed, but very grateful for the opportunity.

“I told (Reds chief operating officer) John Allen that this has been a dream job. Now I’m looking for a second dream job, or I will be when the season is over.”

Stewart will continue working alongside Hall of Fame Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman through the end of this season.

Stewart took over part-time in 2004 and full-time beginning last season for former Reds player and longtime Reds radio broadcaster Joe Nuxhall.

Brennaman and Nuxhall partnered for three decades (1974-2003) before the Reds hired Stewart.

“Everybody kept saying, ‘You’ve got big shoes to fill,' ” Stewart said. “My response would always be, ‘Somebody’s got to fill those shoes. It might as well be me.’

“The people have been so nice from Day 1. Joe has been so nice and Marty has been so nice.”

E-mail kkelly@enquirer.com[/quote]

Guest Bengals1181
it won't be hoard. He moved to Massachusetts because his wife got a good gig. He's still going to do UC basketball, but asking him to do Reds games as well would put one hell of a strain on his marriage.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='319870' date='Aug 19 2006, 07:51 PM']it won't be hoard. He moved to Massachusetts because his wife got a good gig. He's still going to do UC basketball, but asking him to do Reds games as well would put one hell of a strain on his marriage.[/quote]
as if his current arrangement isn't taking a toll....
"Honey, can you get a gallon of milk?"
"Baby, I can't right now, I'm talking about Bob Huggins!"
"You obviously don't care about you're goddamn family!"
Oh wait, that's my life, sorry...
:(

Guest oldschooler
I think this would be the perfect person for the job...

[quote]The next Reds broadcaster is a slam dunk.....
This move has "Castellini thinking" all over it. Mr. Castellini is about Cincinnati and about reconnecting and understanding the past
The man for the job will come home
He will carry a nationally known and respected voice
He carries a built in approval rating
He will carry a working knowledge of the history of the franchise
Next to Nuxie, he will have the best on-air chemistry with Marty of anyone else you could find
He will have the approval of Marty
He will carry on the legacy of Reds broadcasting and of his dad for the next 25+ years.
He will not cost too much...because money won't be an issue for Castellini....when has it been?
Leaving his current job won't be tough, when this is perhaps the only one he'd leave for
His Saturday absence for 26 games or so will not be an issue because it will open the door for Nuxie
He could slide over and do innings on FSN Ohio, if needed, during his dad's innings
He can do Skyline and Montgomery Inn commercials, touting them as the reason he came home
It will be Christmas at Grandpa's house,with Luke on one knee and Ella Mae on the other
Grandpa can play with them in the innings he's not working.
Your best candidate for the next Reds broadcaster is:
[size=5][b]Thom Brennaman[/b][/size]
Case closed...........cue music to Welcome Back Kotter[/quote]

[url="http://www.lance1530homer.com/blog.asp"]http://www.lance1530homer.com/blog.asp[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='319870' date='Aug 19 2006, 09:51 PM']it won't be hoard. He moved to Massachusetts because his wife got a good gig. He's still going to do UC basketball, but asking him to do Reds games as well would put one hell of a strain on his marriage.[/quote]

Hoard moved to pawtucket to do minor league baseball, so he can get some baseball work on his resume. The main reason he is doing minor league baseball is his hopes of one day doing MLB baseball.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='320884' date='Aug 21 2006, 02:03 PM']Hoard moved to pawtucket to do minor league baseball, so he can get some baseball work on his resume. The main reason he is doing minor league baseball is his hopes of one day doing MLB baseball.[/quote]
thats what i heard when hoard was interviewed on the radio. His dream has been to do MLB and in order to do that he was going to have to do minor league at some point so he convinced his family to move. Pawtucket is a huge minor league market though so MLB isnt a enormous step up

Guest whodey 85
Good riddance!

There was more dead air time then if Waite Hoyt was callin the games.

I think I should b the next broadcaster so I can smack the shit outta Marty every time he talks bad about guys I like.

hoard could very well be the guy. he move to ma to do baseball in order to gain experience, and hes still doing uc basketball, its not like the guy couldnt just come back. you really think the pawtuckett pulls that much weight?

anyways, read a little bit about the move in the enquirer recently that said stewart wasnt martys first choice. oh well, he seemed like a nice guy and im sure hell find a new job soon, but that sucks for him.

im sure whomever replaces him will be exponentially better.

Guest bengalrick
no great reasoning, but i never liked hoard... i hope that either tracy jones gets the job, or somehow we get tom brenaman... besides those two choices, i don't like the other obvious options so far...

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='bengalrick' post='320995' date='Aug 21 2006, 04:49 PM']no great reasoning, but i never liked hoard... i hope that either tracy jones gets the job, or somehow we get tom brenaman... besides those two choices, i don't like the other obvious options so far...[/quote]

i agree with u 100%

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='dieselman44' post='320884' date='Aug 21 2006, 02:03 PM']Hoard moved to pawtucket to do minor league baseball, so he can get some baseball work on his resume. The main reason he is doing minor league baseball is his hopes of one day doing MLB baseball.[/quote]

are you sure about that? The way I've always heard it, even from Hoard in an interview, is that his wife got an amazing job opportunity in the Mass area, and he was able to land the Pawtucket job by chance.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Bunghole' post='321154' date='Aug 21 2006, 07:52 PM']How about....Harold Reynolds? I always liked him, but I think he may be too "big market" for the Reds.
Or Pete Rose...wouldn't that be a shit sandwich in the mouth of MLB? Could Petie even do the gig given his ban?[/quote]

nope, he isnt allowed to step foot in the stadium. He'd have to broadcast it from somewhere else. A helicopter hovering over the field?

Guest Bengals1181
a name I heard mentioned a few days ago that was on the radio today is kent mercker. He was interviewed today and sounds like he could be a good announcer. However, he stated that the travel was part of the reason he's considering retirement (even when he was thinking about it last year), so I don't know that he'd stay out on the road like that. He wants to be home with his kids.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='322019' date='Aug 22 2006, 08:30 PM']a name I heard mentioned a few days ago that was on the radio today is kent mercker. He was interviewed today and sounds like he could be a good announcer. However, he stated that the travel was part of the reason he's considering retirement (even when he was thinking about it last year), so I don't know that he'd stay out on the road like that. He wants to be home with his kids.[/quote]

he said he didnt want broadcasting cuz he doesnt want to travel and that if he was going to travel it would only be for playing, not coaching or broadcasting. Does any of the former Reds (not Tracey Jones) have experience in broadcasting. Castellini seems to have good relationshpis wiht a few of htem. Maybe we could get Eric Davis to join Marty LOL

Guest oldschooler
[quote][b]REDS CLOSE TO NAMING THEIR MAN[/b]
It is my understanding that the Reds search for their next broadcaster is not only underway....but nearing completion. I believe the next Reds broadcaster can be heard this Saturday afternoon on Fox 19 as the Cubs face the Cards in St Louis...........[b]Thom Brennaman[/b]. Don't be surprised if the announcement is made by the end of the season.........IF not sooner.[/quote]

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/onair_lance.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/onair_lance.html[/url]

Archived