BRANCH TRADED TO SEAHAWKS

Guest ONYX

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='sneaky' post='337067' date='Sep 11 2006, 01:05 PM']just broke on espn, that (former) Patriot receiver has been traded for seattle for a
first round pick.
[b]
Seattle is nuts, that guy aint worth a one.[/b][/quote]

um ya he is. Branch + DJax = dominant.

I struggle to think of many players worth a first rounder. Jesus.

But Branch? So the fuckwit was gonna whine and complain and not get played and even when he did get played be his usual ineffectual self. And the Seahawks gave a first round pick for that?

Less the Pats coach being a genius, more the Seahawks being dumb as fuck.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Kochman' post='337574' date='Sep 11 2006, 09:40 PM']I would rather have Jerry Porter than Branch. His asking price is a 1st.[/quote]

Branch is clutch. Id much rather have Branch.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='oldschooler' post='337992' date='Sep 12 2006, 12:23 PM']I wouldn`t give up a 1st rounder for him.
And my God they`re paying Burelson way to much money for a #3 now ![/quote]
they can release him in like 2 seasons without much of a problem at all.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='338011' date='Sep 12 2006, 11:42 AM']they can release him in like 2 seasons without much of a problem at all.[/quote]

The deal he signed amounts to a four-year, $14 million contract.
The problem is, they`re paying him the next 2 seasons, to be a #3.
And that`s a lot for a #3...

[b]Branch tempting Holmgren to play him Sunday[/b]
[i]Associated Press[/i]

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Mike Holmgren prefers that new Seahawks players get weeks of preparation in his intricate offense.

Normally, the mastermind of Seattle's myriad formations, pre-snap motions and poem-like play calls wouldn't consider playing a receiver who has had just three practices -- especially one who hadn't practiced or played in eight months because of a contract holdout with another team.

Normally. But until this week's preparations for Sunday's home opener against Arizona, Holmgren had never coached Deion Branch.

"I think it's a little unrealistic for anybody to come in with a couple days of practice and play after he hasn't in a long time. But he's a special kid," Holmgren said Friday. "We're going to make that decision [Sunday], at the last second."

Minutes earlier, Monday's acquisition from New England finished doing a little of everything. Branch did scout-team work. He also ran routes with the first-team offense in extra-wide receiver sets.

Since Wednesday morning, Holmgren has gone from saying it was unlikely that Branch would play Sunday for the first time since a Patriots playoff loss Jan. 14 to considering when he might use Branch, Darrell Jackson, Nate Burleson and Bobby Engram on the same plays.

"I've been going back and forth on it, to be honest with you," Holmgren said, knowing his indecision creates headaches for the Cardinals' defensive game planners.

Holmgren has seen Branch come into team headquarters early each morning this week, before most of his teammates, to study plays with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. He denied Branch's request to fax him the Seahawks playbook at the airport before he flew west Monday night.

Holmgren has also watched Branch volunteer for scout-team duty, to get his legs back in playing shape. He's seen Branch glide effortlessly across the field and snare passes for and against the starters during three impressive practices.

And maybe the coach even noticed that Branch -- aware his touted arrival could potentially ruffle some of his receiving mates' egos -- called those new pals together after Friday's practice.

"I told the guys I really appreciated their openness in welcoming me," Branch said. "It would be pretty easy for guys to go sideways and for people to put the wrong perceptions on me and why I'm here.

"I'm here to win a Super Bowl. Period. I'm not here to see how many catches I'm going to get, or anything."

Holmgren sounds like he thinks the Seahawks should be the ones thanking Branch -- not vice versa.

"You like everything. What's not to like?" Holmgren said. "He's just what you want."

A sheepish Branch would not admit he's been lobbying to play Sunday. He said if Holmgren doesn't deem him ready, he will focus on debuting Sept. 24 against the New York Giants.

Holmgren knows better.

"Oh, he's lobbying for it, certainly. He's that type of young man," Holmgren said.

Then the coach added, with a wry smile, "I appreciate the fact that he said it's my call."

If Branch does play Sunday, it likely would come at the expense of D.J. Hackett. The 2005 surprise is currently the fourth receiver.

"I mean, I could stick him out there and run a couple plays with him, I'm sure," Holmgren said of Branch. "But then you have to weigh the advantage of that over someone who has practiced a lot with us who would probably sit down if Deion was up."

[i]Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press[/i]

Archived