A MOCK

Here it is. This is the kind of draft I like to do. I think it includes just about every transaction necessary to make the roster look like this.

Reaction?

My reaction to the amount of free agents was astounding. There are at least 13 player that have contracts that expire after this season.

5 of which are starters.

5 are primary if not career backups and the other 3 are scrubs.

That's a big chunk of change if we wanted the roster to look like it did this year. This will be the first year in which our picks actually start to cycle out. The year after we could see a similiar amount of change, and the year after that, all of the drafting we've been doing should settle the roster.

I also think this many FAs leaving, some of which are home grown draft picks, would result in a 4th Rd compensatory pick in the following draft.

As to pick analysis:

1. Red Bryant is next year big bodied DT who can rotate Adams out and keep him fresh all the way until the 4th QTR. He'll also complete our tackle rotate for the next two years.

2. A big, fast CB to replace the size we had with James and bolster the depth with the loss of both Bauman and James.

4. A fast DB with good size who does everything. Could be a returner, could be a CB, could be a punter. Just a gamer with talent and would help put speed back in our safety reserves as well as making an excellent gunner.

5. A big body to put depth in the interior OL and provide an injury replacement for Ghiaciuc at center.

6. A nickel guy and special teamer with speed.

7. Could be a LBer, could be a WR, could be a OLmen. It doesn't matter because he doesn't have a spot except for injury.

I have been working on a 1st round mock for the last week or so at work when I am bored. Here's what I got so far:

1 [u]Titans[/u] WR Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech
2 [u]Raiders[/u] QB Brady Quinn Notre Dame
3 [u]Lions[/u] OT Joe Thomas Wisconsin
4 [u]Packers[/u] RB Adrian Peterson Oklahoma
5 [u]49ers[/u] S Laron Landry LSU
6 [u]Texans[/u] OLB Paul Poslusnzy Penn St.
7 [u]Jets[/u] RB Michael Bush Louisville
8 [u]Saints[/u] DE Quentin Moses Georgia
9 [u]Browns[/u] WR Ted Ginn Ohio St.
10 [u]Chiefs[/u] OT Jake Long Michigan
11 [u]Bucs[/u] DE Gaines Adams Clemson
12 [u]Cardinals[/u] ILB Patrick Willis Miss. St.
13 [u]Dolphins[/u] WR Dwayne Jarrett USC
14 [u]Rams[/u] QB Brian Brohm Louisville
15 [u]Bills[/u] OT Levi Brown Penn St.
16 [u]Broncos[/u] S Brandon Merriweather Miami (FL)
17 [u]Redskins[/u] CB Marcus McCauley Fresno St.
18 [u]Cowboys[/u] OT Sam Baker USC
19 [u]Vikings[/u] DE LaMarr Woodley Michigan
20 [u]stealers[/u] RB Marshawn Lynch California
21 [u]Patriots[/u] CB Leon Hall Michigan
22 [u]Panthers[/u] OG/OT Justin Blalock Texas
23 [u]Giants[/u] DT Frank Okam Texas
24 [u]Falcons[/u] DT Quinn Pitcock Ohio St.
25 [u]Ravens[/u] QB Drew Stanton Michigan St.
26 [u]Colts[/u] OT Doug Free N. Illinois
27 [u]Eagles[/u] WR Jeff Samardzija Notre Dame
28 [u]Chargers[/u] WR Sidney Rice South Carolina
29 [u]Bears[/u] TE Greg Olsen Miami (FL)
30 [u]Jaguars[/u] RB Kenny Irons Auburn
31 [u]Patriots f/ Sea[/u] S Michael Griffin Texas
32 [u]Bengals[/u] DE Adam Carriker Nebraska

First off, it is way too early to be doing mocks. With that said, what do you guys think of Alan Branch from Michigan? He's a big DT (6-6, 330+) but he's just a junior so he might not come out. I was watching them play Wisconsin today and he was getting doubled the whole game but still showed up big in the run game and was constantly breaking down the pocket. I don't follow Michigan so I don't know much about him but from just that game he looks like a potential 1st rounder.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='347310' date='Sep 23 2006, 07:22 PM']First off, it is way too early to be doing mocks. With that said, what do you guys think of Alan Branch from Michigan? He's a big DT (6-6, 330+) but he's just a junior so he might not come out. I was watching them play Wisconsin today and he was getting doubled the whole game but still showed up big in the run game and was constantly breaking down the pocket. I don't follow Michigan so I don't know much about him but from just that game he looks like a potential 1st rounder.[/quote]

I hate Michigan but love what ive seen from Branch so far. He looks like a beast!!!

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='347310' date='Sep 23 2006, 07:22 PM']First off, it is way too early to be doing mocks. With that said, what do you guys think of Alan Branch from Michigan? He's a big DT (6-6, 330+) but he's just a junior so he might not come out. I was watching them play Wisconsin today and he was getting doubled the whole game but still showed up big in the run game and was constantly breaking down the pocket. I don't follow Michigan so I don't know much about him but from just that game he looks like a potential 1st rounder.[/quote]

It's never too early to do mocks.

Think someone in the Bengals front office hasn't already accessed the depth from the college ranks at each position already. If they're scouting, we can scout.

Since I like the relation between college and NFL so much, I'll still answer your question to my liking.

Alan Branch, Frank Okam, and Red Bryant are this years big bodies with talent. All are juniors.

Branch looked good today. They'd all fit with what I was cooking. Bryant got the nod for not being from Michigan and being mobile.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='347438' date='Sep 23 2006, 11:30 PM']It's never too early to do mocks.

Think someone in the Bengals front office hasn't already accessed the depth from the college ranks at each position already. If they're scouting, we can scout.

Since I like the relation between college and NFL so much, I'll still answer your question to my liking.

Alan Branch, Frank Okam, and Red Bryant are this years big bodies with talent. All are juniors.

Branch looked good today. They'd all fit with what I was cooking. Bryant got the nod for not being from Michigan and being mobile.[/quote]

Not trying to start a argument but Branch looked pretty damn atheletic to me.

[quote name='Kochman' post='347457' date='Sep 23 2006, 11:55 PM']Not trying to start a argument but Branch looked pretty damn atheletic to me.[/quote]

No, I agree, never said he wasn't.

I just wonder if all 3 of them would declare. The thing about Bryant is that it's not like T A&M is going to be playing for a national title next year.

Michigan will have a good team and Texas likely will too. So I could see either of those guys staying.

Okam has the talent and buzz right now though where it looks like he stays.

That'd leave Branch as the senior big bodied talent for next next years draft. And he wouldn't have to go up against two competing big DTs in the first Rd for this year.

All just projection, but I could see him staying.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fredtoast
I love your projected sixth round pick, [b]Jonathan Wade[/b], from Tennessee. He hasn't gotten a lot of publicity yet because he just moved to CB last year, but the guy is a great player. It will be interesting to see how high he climbs by draft time.

For those of you that don't know, Wade is 6'0", 195, and has earned All-American Honors in both indoor (60M) and outdoor (100m) track. He is not just a track guy playing football. Through his first three seasons at UT he played in 38 games with 15 starts. This is just his second year at CB and he is really starting to blossom. Saturday against #10 Georgia he had 9 tackles (including 2 tackles for minus yards) and an interception. For the season (6 games) he has 24 tackles, 2 ints, and 6 passes defended.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fredtoast
Just to follow up on [b]Jonathan Wade[/b]. He was just selected as the SEC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against South Caroline. He had a five tackles, one tackle for loss, three passes defended (He leads the SEC in PD), a key end zone interception (his third of the year), and he helped hold the best WR in the SEC (Sidney Rice) to 56 receiving yards.

I'm starting to doubt that he will last until the 6th round. He has so much speed and is really still learning to play CB. This is only his second year there aftrer switching from WR, but he is starting to look like a possible All-SEC selection.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='376343' date='Oct 31 2006, 11:20 AM']Just to follow up on [b]Jonathan Wade[/b]. He was just selected as the SEC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against South Caroline. He had a five tackles, one tackle for loss, three passes defended (He leads the SEC in PD), a key end zone interception (his third of the year), and he helped hold the best WR in the SEC (Sidney Rice) to 56 receiving yards.

I'm starting to doubt that he will last until the 6th round. He has so much speed and is really still learning to play CB. This is only his second year there aftrer switching from WR, but he is starting to look like a possible All-SEC selection.[/quote]
I think he's a lock for the 3rd round or even higher after the combine.

[quote name='76levi' post='378277' date='Nov 4 2006, 12:11 PM']why would the rams pick brohm? :blink: they have bulger[/quote]
Why would the Chiefs draft Larry Johnson? They have Holmes.....

Bulger will be 30 next year, and he cannot stay healthy at all

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='378353' date='Nov 4 2006, 06:16 PM']Why would the Chiefs draft Larry Johnson? They have Holmes.....

Bulger will be 30 next year, and he cannot stay healthy at all[/quote]

Holmes is finished. He'll never be the same player again.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='381181' date='Nov 7 2006, 02:18 PM']Holmes is finished. He'll never be the same player again.[/quote]
Yeah that was my point. Everyone questioned the pick of Johnson when they had Holmes, and he turned out to be a stud.

Archived