Origins of WHODEY... once & for all

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='85fanwilkes' post='354120' date='Sep 29 2006, 01:36 PM']They will only be over 500 if Reggie Bush stays healthy. If he gets hurt just watch the Saints crumple.[/quote]

What the hell?

The Saints aren't relying on Reggie Bush to win games.

[quote name='85fanwilkes' post='354097' date='Sep 29 2006, 01:22 PM']Yeah i still cant believe that the saints fans were cheerin that.[/quote]

I can't either.

I mean, they've only been doing it since the early 80's.

I was shocked.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='354191' date='Sep 29 2006, 02:22 PM'][center][img]http://www.smartishpace.com/files/guate/halloween2005.JPG[/img]
[img]http://badboy.mlblogs.com/the_bad_boy_blog/images/whodey.jpg[/img][/center][/quote]

Ironically, in the first image, you can see the Orange Towell, which we so ironically stole from the stealers tradition.

Here is the deal on WhoDey. It did originate in New Orleans but not from the Saints. WEBN radio station had a voodoo broad on from the bayou and they asked her to give some type of incantation or spell for the Bengals in 1981, a few games into the season. She said some crap and finished with "WheDey, WhoDey, Whodey tink gonna beat dem Bengals." SHe had kind of a witchy vodoo act going on. SHe was from the bayou and maybe the chant has a history there, I don't know. WEBN played it a few times and it stuck. The Bengals website posting on the subject is wrong. The entire song that ended with NOOOOOBODY didn't come about for several seasons later. It was only the whodey chant that started in 1981. Anyone who suggests the Saints started it are smoking something. Check out the Saints record from 81 back and ask when they would have ever had the balls to say such a chant. Didn't happen. It did come from the New Orlean region but the Bengals were the first to use it as a team.

For those of you who don't like the Hear that Bengals growlin song, fuck you. ITs a classic and the North End zone sings it loud an proud. Used to be played by that old fogie orchastra they used to set up near the end zone in Riverfront. Those bastards average age in the 70's was about 82. The funniest thing I have ever heard was that old bastach orchastra playing "Welcome to the Jungle." HILARIOUS.

[quote name='dacow' post='354307' date='Sep 29 2006, 06:30 PM']For those of you who don't like the Hear that Bengals growlin song, fuck you. ITs a classic and the North End zone sings it loud an proud. Used to be played by that old fogie orchastra they used to set up near the end zone in Riverfront. Those bastards average age in the 70's was about 82. The funniest thing I have ever heard was that old bastach orchastra playing "Welcome to the Jungle." HILARIOUS.[/quote]

You got that shit right dacow. It seems like the whole north endzone is doing it. No idea whats happening in the rest of the stadium. But if you dont know the goddamn words all you have to do is lookup at the scoreboard now. They show them there.

And dont worry Carson and boys are going to give you plenty of chances to learn it.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

[quote name='BlueKat' post='354314' date='Sep 29 2006, 11:59 PM']You got that shit right dacow. It seems like the whole north endzone is doing it. No idea whats happening in the rest of the stadium. But if you dont know the goddamn words all you have to do is lookup at the scoreboard now. They show them there.

And dont worry Carson and boys are going to give you plenty of chances to learn it.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:[/quote]
In peanut heaven where I sit, no one has a damn clue what the heck is going on. The Clowns fans were looking around and asking us about the song, and no one in our area had a clue. And while you can see the words on the board, you can no more hear the tune to put it together than you can hear Carson in the huddle from the stands.

But I do look forward to learning the tune. I know we'll be have the chance to sing it early and often for years to come. ;)

[quote name='big_dish' post='354089' date='Sep 29 2006, 01:15 PM']Someone tell that to the 'Aints fans.
Or just let them enjoy their 3-0 start, pretty soon they are going to be 5-11[/quote]

Doubt it, they picked one hell of a QB and that running back isn't too bad either........ Not saying they are yet a playoff team but Brees could ahve been MVP only 1 full season ago (04).

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='354221' date='Sep 29 2006, 02:40 PM']Ths beats the hell outta that crappy ass fight song they're trying to push at the games. WTF is that crap, anyway? I don't remember it from the Denver MNF game, buyt the kept playing after we scored vs, Cleveland, and I found the song to be more embarrasing than the squirrel... It sucked.[/quote]

The lyrics to that crapy fight soon are included in the post you are refering to-----

"Hear that Bengal growling, mean and angry
See that Bengal prowling, lean and hungry
An offensive brute, run, pass, or boot
And defensively, he's rough errrr tough errrr
Cincinnati Bengals that's the team were gonna cheer to victory
Touchdown Bengals!!
Put some points up on the board and win a game for Cincinnati !"

and it isn't new. Been around for some time now.

[quote name='BlueKat' post='354314' date='Sep 29 2006, 06:59 PM']You got that shit right dacow. It seems like the whole north endzone is doing it. No idea whats happening in the rest of the stadium. But if you dont know the goddamn words all you have to do is lookup at the scoreboard now. They show them there.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:[/quote]

It is sung proudly in the South Endzone as well !!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='354361' date='Sep 30 2006, 01:46 AM']I found it.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/fans/fightsong.asp"]http://www.bengals.com/fans/fightsong.asp[/url][/quote]
Thanks, Backer.

Now that I can actually hear this, it's not as bad as I thought. It'd be cooler if more folks sang along. Guess it's time for me to learn the words...

WhoDey!

Guest LeakyBengal
Cont me as one of those who sing it it the south endzone. 158. Its my fav part of the game. I love chanting it. And your right. Yo can hear people singing it alongwith ya but it be nice if the whole stadium did it. Kinda like the Eagles and their fans.

The Bengal's Growl page still exsist but there isn't a link to it.... so I'll link it:

[url="http://www.bengals.com/fans/fightsong.asp"]http://www.bengals.com/fans/fightsong.asp[/url]

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='Patmo' post='354372' date='Sep 29 2006, 09:12 PM']Actually,the "who dey" cheer is a derivative(copy/rip off) of an ad by an Indianapolis Buick deealer.It was a local ad that went regional that went national.[/quote]

This sounds likely. My understanding is that the Who dey cheer originated prior to the Hudepol campaign. I had not heard the New Orleans "Who dat" cheer prior to the 1981 season. I remember thinking that the "Who dey" cheer was embarassingly silly, but then I was rather indignant about the Saints "Who dat" cheer in the '83 season when they went 8-8 after going 4-5, 4-12 and 1-15 in th eprevioius three years.

The only other time that the Saints fans MIGHT have come up with that cheer was the '79 season when they went 8-8 (or less likely the '78 season when they went 7-9). The Saints were so miserable since their inception that 8-8 was cause for wild celebration. I don't think they were saying "Who Dat" in 1979. I don't remember it until after the "Who Dey" cheer came out in '81. Again, the only time the Saints were remotely successful in that period was the '83 season.

The excessive fat in those people's diet has addled their brains. As for pissburgh fans, everybody associated with that vile organization appears to be petty, spiteful, mean-spirited, small-minded, excessively antagonistic and trifling as exemplified by Jerome fat fuck fat fuck bettis in his television role.

Archived