You have to be kidding me

Jamie_B

This is outragous, someone please tell me there is another side to this story, if not then its a complete joke and shows how this admin is so paraniod that they have become nothing more than thugs.

[url="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5039230,00.html"]http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/loca...5039230,00.html[/url]

[quote]Arrest over Cheney barb triggers lawsuit

By Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News
October 3, 2006
A Denver-area man filed a lawsuit today against a member of the Secret Service for causing him to be arrested after he approached Vice President Dick Cheney in Beaver Creek this summer and criticized him for his policies concerning Iraq.
Attorney David Lane said that on June 16, Steve Howards was walking his 7-year-old son to a piano practice, when he saw Cheney surrounded by a group of people in an outdoor mall area, shaking hands and posing for pictures with several people.

According to the lawsuit filed at U.S. District Court in Denver, Howards and his son walked to about two-to-three feet from where Cheney was standing, and said to the vice president, "I think your policies in Iraq are reprehensible," or words to that effect, then walked on.

Ten minutes later, according to Howards' lawsuit, he and his son were walking back through the same area, when they were approached by Secret Service agent Virgil D. "Gus" Reichle Jr., who asked Howards if he had "assaulted" the vice president. Howards denied doing so, but was nonetheless placed in handcuffs and taken to the Eagle County Jail.

The lawsuit states that the Secret Service agent instructed that Howards should be issued a summons for harassment, but that on July 6 the Eagle County District Attorney's Office dismissed all charges against Howards.

The lawsuit filed today alleges that Howards was arrested in retaliation for having exercised his First Amendment right of free speech, and that his arrest violated his Fourth Amendment protection against unlawful seizure.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='358479' date='Oct 4 2006, 02:09 PM']This is outragous, someone please tell me there is another side to this story, if not then its a complete joke and shows how this admin is so paraniod that they have become nothing more than thugs.

[url="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5039230,00.html"]http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/loca...5039230,00.html[/url][/quote]

I'm suprised that they didn't torture the kid. -_-

Guest fredtoast

[quote name='sneaky' post='358491' date='Oct 4 2006, 02:28 PM']I'm suprised that they didn't torture the kid. -_-[/quote]

Cheney never tortures children. He just drinks their blood.

Jamie;

Please don't tell me you are surprised. This trend has been happening for years now--we've just hit a new level. Dissenting folks have been tossed from meetings for wearing the wrong shirt; crowds have been "massaged" to reflect a particular POV, even if it is unrepresentative; protesters get banned to a location far away from an event, etc...

Also, more practically, the guy got taken on his return path. Security is really serious, and I mean really serious about the potentiality of any threat to whomever they are enjoined to protect. This probably played a part, too, pre-emptively.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='358626' date='Oct 4 2006, 07:34 PM']Jamie;

Please don't tell me you are surprised. This trend has been happening for years now--we've just hit a new level. Dissenting folks have been tossed from meetings for wearing the wrong shirt; crowds have been "massaged" to reflect a particular POV, even if it is unrepresentative; protesters get banned to a location far away from an event, etc...

Also, more practically, the guy got taken on his return path. Security is really serious, and I mean really serious about the potentiality of any threat to whomever they are enjoined to protect. This probably played a part, too, pre-emptively.[/quote]

Not supprised at the massaged crowds and the like, and perhaps security is a issue that would be explainable and understandable. However if it went down like the guy said it did, what exactly did he do wrong, and further seperating him and perhaps questioning him under a security premise is one thing, arresting him is quite another. Thats why I was hoping someone may have heard of this and have the whole story on it.

Archived