Stacy Andrews first start

Guest fredtoast

Guest fredtoast
This Sunday Stacy will be getting his first NFL start in place of Bobbie Williams at RG. I know a lot of people are eager to see how good he is. This is his third season as a "project", and many fans think that if he isn't ready yet then he may never amount to much. I just want everyone to give him more than a game or two before passing judgment. Here are a few reasons:

1. Obviously there is no substitute for live game experience. So even if he doesn't look that good, it may still be a good performance for a first time starter

2. He will be playing next to a Center that only has 6 NFL starts himself. It is impossible for us to accurately judge a lineman's performance because we don't always know exactly what each one's responsibility is on any given play.

3. Stacy barely played in college. He walked on at Ole Miss in 2002 and was red shirted that season. Then he only saw the field in a few games in '03.

4. He worked at OT his first two season's with the Bengals. So he has been learning the OG position for less than a year.

Here are the reason's that I have such high hopes for Stacy. If he can play both OT and OG and turns out to be as good as I think he can then he will be one of our key players for years to come.

1. He is a physical freak. He is 6'7", 342. He was a basketball player in high school and an All-Amercan track and field star in college. He set Ole Miss records in the Hammer, Discus, and Weight Throw.

2. His brother Shawn is one of the best OGs in the NFL (for the Eagles). You know that has to be a big advantage when learning a position.

So even if Stacy has a rough day Sunday I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Enough with the " Projects" dudes like 25 years old now if he doesnt know how to play by now he never will . theres a reason why he only started a few games in college and has rode the bench so far .Because he sucks . Ill take the undersized tough guy out of a big program over a weight room warrior . Did any of you actually see him im preseason he struggled big time . I hope he does ok because when the bengals lose it ruins my entire week.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='388136' date='Nov 17 2006, 12:48 PM']Enough with the " Projects" dudes like 25 years old now if he doesnt know how to play by now he never will . theres a reason why he only started a few games in college and has rode the bench so far .Because he sucks . Ill take the undersized tough guy out of a big program over a weight room warrior . Did any of you actually see him im preseason he struggled big time . I hope he does ok because when the bengals lose it ruins my entire week.[/quote]

The whole offense struggled the first preseason game, then gave up 1 sack in the next 3 preseason games. We had the 4th ranked offense (and 4th ranked rushing offense) in the preseason. Stacy had starts at guard, and tackle, and played in the majority of snaps in the preseason. Nobody struggles bigtime while protecting the quarterback, and being top 5 in rushing offense. He had some spots of trouble, but played well overall.

[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='388136' date='Nov 17 2006, 12:48 PM']Enough with the " Projects" dudes like 25 years old now if he doesnt know how to play by now he never will . theres a reason why he only started a few games in college and has rode the bench so far .Because he sucks . Ill take the undersized tough guy out of a big program over a weight room warrior . Did any of you actually see him im preseason he struggled big time . I hope he does ok because when the bengals lose it ruins my entire week.[/quote]

Well, lets see. He walked on in 2002, having never played football before, at Ole Miss and only played one year there. Why would a college team let a guy who's never played start?

And even while there he had some good plays, from .com:
Credited with 14 key blocks and two touchdown-producing blocks for offensive unit that averaged 433.2 yards per game … Made football debut Sept. 13 vs. Louisiana-Monroe and had a clearing block on one-yard TD run by Jamal Pittman … Andrews’s key block helped clear the way for Brandon Jacobs’s game-winning TD run in fourth quarter against Auburn.

You want to call him a "weight room warrior" when cleary Stacey Andrews IS AN ATHLETE.

He has major accomplishments in Discus, weight throw, hammer throw. He's done track and played basketball as well.

Please comeback when you do not have such a misinformed opinions.

Guest Bengals1181

he only started a few games in college because he didn't play football in high school. Buy a clue.

Im kind of hoping he does really well, because since we resigned both willie, bobbie and and levi and drafted whitworth, he may become trade bate to get back our 3rd rounder next year. Because if he plays like a starter we wolnt keep him because he isnt our starter, thus he might be able to get us a extra pick.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='388149' date='Nov 17 2006, 01:02 PM']Im hoping he does ok but he looked lost when the defense would stunt or blitz which is hardly ever in the preseason .They usally play straight up vanilla style D.[/quote]

I'm sure he'll get burned a couple times on Sunday, and not get burned on some tricky plays too. I won't be disappointed with a burn here or there, especially if he generally plays okay, and flashes some awesome too. I expect him to goof early, and then settle down.

Latest from Hobson. Titled with Housh, but the main story is Stacy.......

Houshmandzadeh cleared
By GEOFF HOBSON
November 17, 2006

Posted: 12:50 p.m.

Andrews
Right guard Stacy Andrews’ juices were flowing so quickly Thursday night in anticipation of his first NFL start that he admitted that he had to call his "little brother Shawn” in order to settle down.

With the 6-4, 340-pound Shawn offering some big advice at night and Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson adding some of his own during the day, Andrews and his three years of seasoning probably make him better prepared for his regular-season debut than any Bengals lineman in recent memory.

“(Anderson) and I have been talking constantly,” said Andrews before Friday’s practice. “We get grade sheets after every game and I’m just looking to get a very high grade, focusing on my technique and footwork.”

Another you-just-never-know NFL lesson played out again Wednesday.

Andrews has spent three years of countless practices, 12 preseason games, regular special teams work and an occasional snap at tight end on short-yardage and goal-line situations, and has never received the call. It's tough when the right tackle you back up is about to make his 106th straight start and the right guard you back up is believed to have missed all but one snap since Andrews arrived in 2004.

But at practice Wednesday, right guard Bobbie Williams, who doesn’t miss any snaps in practice, either, suddenly called for the trainer, and Andrews was just as suddenly getting in a stance. Word later filtered through that Williams had an appendectomy, which should take him out of the next three games.

“I was shocked, but I’ve had experience starting in the preseason and I’ve practiced a lot,” Andrews said. “It’s more of a matter mentally. After today’s practice, I’m going to go through the playbook again and visualize what I have to do.”

This isn’t exactly a throw-away preseason finale in Indy where the Colts play 0.5 starters. The Saints have one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL and his foe, 6-2, 298-pound Brian Young, is second in the league among defensive tackles with 4.5 sacks.

Throw in the din of the Louisiana Superdome and who said it was going to be easy? Andrews thinks he caught a break this week with head coach Marvin Lewis moving practice into Paul Brown Stadium instead of holding it across the street on the practice fields.

At either place, Lewis jacks up recorded crowd noise to simulate what the offense is going to face.

“It’s louder in the stadium because the noise surrounds you,” Andrews said. “They’ve got two loudspeakers (at the practice field), but it’s not as loud as inside.”

INJURY UPDATE: Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh (concussion) was cleared Friday morning to appear on the field and he looks ready for Sunday. Running back Rudi Johnson (thigh) and middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks (groin), who didn’t practice Thursday but were probable, appeared on the field early indicating they could be ready. Strong safety Dexter Jackson (Achilles), rated as questionable, also appeared early on the field.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
wow. did you shoot out the womb this morning?

[quote name='fredtoast' post='388110' date='Nov 17 2006, 11:47 AM']This Sunday Stacy will be getting his first NFL start in place of Bobbie Williams at RG. I know a lot of people are eager to see how good he is. This is his third season as a "project", and many fans think that if he isn't ready yet then he may never amount to much. I just want everyone to give him more than a game or two before passing judgment. Here are a few reasons:

1. Obviously there is no substitute for live game experience. So even if he doesn't look that good, it may still be a good performance for a first time starter

2. He will be playing next to a Center that only has 6 NFL starts himself. It is impossible for us to accurately judge a lineman's performance because we don't always know exactly what each one's responsibility is on any given play.

3. Stacy barely played in college. He walked on at Ole Miss in 2002 and was red shirted that season. Then he only saw the field in a few games in '03.

4. He worked at OT his first two season's with the Bengals. So he has been learning the OG position for less than a year.

Here are the reason's that I have such high hopes for Stacy. If he can play both OT and OG and turns out to be as good as I think he can then he will be one of our key players for years to come.

1. He is a physical freak. He is 6'7", 342. He was a basketball player in high school and an All-Amercan track and field star in college. He set Ole Miss records in the Hammer, Discus, and Weight Throw.

2. His brother Shawn is one of the best OGs in the NFL (for the Eagles). You know that has to be a big advantage when learning a position.

So even if Stacy has a rough day Sunday I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.[/quote]

I don't see the need for coddling the guy. He should do well but everyone is still going to treat him just like all the others. If he messes up. we'll say so on the gameday thread. If he does good, ...it will get mentioned.

We'll treat him like we do Steiny and all the others. None of them are perfect but their overall game is what counts and if this guy is falling flat on his face, I want him out of there so we have a shot at winning the game.

I look at it this way. If we demand excellence from our favorite college team, ...why shouldn't we demand the same from our pro team?

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='388178' date='Nov 17 2006, 01:38 PM']wow. did you shoot out the womb this morning?[/quote]

Did you? I think 90% of this board asks htemselves that question about you ever other post you make.

Besides, the mans got a point.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Jeb' post='388203' date='Nov 17 2006, 02:15 PM']We'll treat him like we do Steiny and all the others. None of them are perfect but their overall game is what counts and if this guy is falling flat on his face, I want him out of there so we have a shot at winning the game.[/quote]

People were overly harsh on Ghiaciuc's first start.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='388208' date='Nov 17 2006, 02:28 PM']Wasnt stacey on someone's (I think it was Gill Brant) top 25 under 25 list?[/quote]

He is mentioned.Not in top 25 though.
[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9477712"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9477712[/url]

[quote name='schotzee' post='388216' date='Nov 17 2006, 02:36 PM']He is mentioned.Not in top 25 though.
[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9477712"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9477712[/url][/quote]

Apparently Gil doesnt know what he's talking about. ;)

[quote name='mongoloido' post='388222' date='Nov 17 2006, 02:46 PM']yes[/quote]

I don't remember too many people being harsh but I'm happy to hear they were. We are at a crossroads. Our season hinges on this next game. We need to put the best players in that we have available to win this game. I trust our coaches to do the right thing and I have no reason not to believe Andrews can perform well but I also trust them to yank him if he doesn't.

We need this win to salvage this season!

Oh, ...and another thing. I don't give a rats behind about the Big Easy, Katrina, or any of that right now. This week they are my enemy. I could care less about New Orleans other than to shred their team to pieces! Its on!! Lets rock!!!

Guest IndianaBengal

I'm glad to see Stacy get a start. Marv has to be excited to dee a project of some sort do well. I know I will. I predict that the o-line doesn't skip a beat. :D

Archived