Indy Game

Guest Bengals1181

Guest IndianaBengal
the Bengals have won thier last four games with an average of 24 points scored while allowing 8 points a game. the defense will have some much needed confidence while going into the rca dome.

Guest IndianaBengal
[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='405413' date='Dec 11 2006, 07:30 PM']Gonna go to a family function in Glenwood indiana this saturday....gonna love sporting my bengal gear there along with my cousins from cincy....should be an interesting day. This team can do it if they keep playing the way they are.[/quote]
I love it. bring that gear over here!!!!!!!! the colt fans are feeling like shit today at work. like we did when sd tore us up.

are you talking about the glenwood by rushville/connersville?

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Indianapolis finds itself stumbling into playoffs [/b][/size]

By Dave Goldberg
Associated Press

The Indianapolis Colts' quest for an unbeaten season ended last month.

A first Super Bowl trip for Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy? Even with a 10-3 record, tied for second best in the AFC? Forget it.

Not after Sunday's 44-17 loss in Jacksonville in which the Colts gave up 375 yards rushing - 8.9 yards per carry. Yes, someone must have tackled Maurice Drew or Fred Taylor at some point - it just wasn't obvious to anyone who watched live or saw the lowlights afterward.

As it turns out, all the alarm about the loss of Edgerrin James to free agency was misplaced. The Colts should have worried more about the defection of two more less glamorous guys: David Thornton and Larry Tripplett. And about the injury to the right knee of safety Bob Sanders, who is their best defender after Dwight Freeney and certainly their best tackler.

Add in the traffic accident that cost them Montae Reagor for the season and the unspecified illness that put Corey Simon out and you have a debacle like Sunday's.

That leaves the Colts last in the league in rushing defense, allowing 176.5 a game, almost 25 yards more than the next worst team.

Indy isn't the only team limping toward the playoffs - or limping away from them.

Defending NFC champion Seattle managed to lose in Arizona on Sunday to a team that's starting to improve under Matt Leinart, the former Heisman Trophy winner. That might have cost the Seahawks a first-round bye, although who knows in the challenged NFC? Dallas, which also looked as if it might get one, also lost.

And Denver continues to slide after a self-inflicted wound by coach Mike Shanahan. He decided when he replaced Jake Plummer at quarterback with rookie Jay Cutler that he would take the hit this season in hopes of winning big when Cutler has experience.

But Indy is built to win now. It was built to win last season, when it started 13-0, or in the past few years, when it lost to New England - the only blemish on the resumes of Dungy, Manning and Harrison is the lack of a Super Bowl trip.

"It's fixable," Dungy said Sunday, recalling that one of his teams in Tampa lost 45-0 in Week 14 and still made it to the NFC title game. "We are going to have to get it fixed to get where we want to go."

This is different - the Colts' run defense was leaky even when they were 9-0.

Nor is it likely than anything can be done in the remaining three regular-season games. Sunday's deluge had to be an embarrassment to a coach who built his reputation on a defense that he learned from Chuck Noll, he of the Steel Curtain that won four Super Bowls in pissburgh three decades ago.

The reasons aren't hard to find.

One is the salary cap, which has had the Colts hemorrhaging defenders for years - the latest being Thornton, a linebacker who went to Tennessee as a free agent and Tripplett, a defensive tackle, who signed with Buffalo.

That prompted the Colts to move Raheem Brock, who started at defensive end last season, to tackle, where he was expected to team with Simon. Simon was obtained last year from Philadelphia and slimmed down to fit Dungy's profile of slim, mobile defensive linemen - no 350-pound pluses (Ted Washington, Sam Adams, Keith Traylor, Tony Siragusa). But Simon is on the reserve non-football injury list and the ranks were thinned further when Reagor was hurt Oct. 22 when his SUV was struck by a car. He is out for the season.

But even before they lost Reagor, there were problems, stemming in part from Sanders' absence and the decision to move Robert Mathis, who led the team with 11½ sacks last season, into Brock's starting slot at end.

The problem: At 235 pounds, Mathis is 40 pounds lighter than Brock and can get plowed under by 320-pound offensive linemen, especially when he is playing on a bad knee. Brock, no matter how quick, is light to play inside. Anthony McFarland, drafted by Dungy when he was in Tampa, was obtained at the trade deadline, but hasn't been the answer.

Beyond that comes what Dungy thinks can be "fixed" - the tackling.

Against Jacksonville, everyone was fanning. Drew and Taylor were at the linebacker level so fast, that Cato June, Gary Brackett and the rest were grabbing air if they even managed to get in the way. Would Thornton and other former Indy linebackers - Mike Peterson and Marcus Washington to name two - have done the same?

In the end, it's just another reason why there are no dominant teams in the NFL and haven't been for a decade. The salary cap makes almost everyone relatively even.

So even though Manning is making just $1 million on paper this year and Harrison is getting $2 million, the signing bonuses ($34.5 million for Manning and $11.5 million for Harrison) take up a lot of space. Add Reggie Wayne, whose new deal has a $13.5 million bonus and a $2.6 million salary and the big bucks obviously are on offense.

OK, when you have Manning, Harrison and Wayne, you make your commitment there, as the Colts have for all of this decade. And there's not much they can do about the health problems of Sanders, Reagor, Mike Doss and the problems with Simon.

But the offense hasn't been what folks are used to, either - it's scored 17 points or less in four of its last five games. Three of them have been losses.

That means the road to the Super Bowl is likely to be through San Diego, not Indy. And that the Colts could find themselves playing Cincinnati or Jacksonville in the first round of the playoffs.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/SPT03/612120318/1022"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../612120318/1022[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Colts' Stokley may be out for season [/b][/size]

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS - Colts receiver Brandon Stokley may be lost for the season with an injured right Achilles' tendon.

Coach Tony Dungy said he did not know the severity of the injury, but recently signed receiver Ricky Proehl acknowledged he expected to get more playing time after Stokley apparently ruptured the tendon.

Stokley has missed most of the season because of a series of injuries. He sprained his left ankle in training camp and was out of action for nearly a month before returning Sept. 17.

He aggravated the ankle injury on a touchdown catch against Houston and did not play again until Oct. 8 against Tennessee. Against the Titans, Stokley sprained his left knee and missed the next six games before returning for the rematch at Tennessee on Dec. 3.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/SPT03/612120319/1022"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../612120319/1022[/url]

Guest oldschooler
Blurb from the Dayton Daily News...

[quote][b]Tale of the tape[/b]

A statistical comparison of the Cincinnati Bengals and the Indianapolis Colts as they head into their Monday Night Football showdown.

Bengals (8-5) Colts (10-3)

6th in NFL (24.4) POINTS SCORED 5th in NFL (26.3)

8th (19.2) POINTS ALLOWED 24th (22.7)

7th (349.7) TOTAL OFFENSE 2nd (381.4)

22nd (100.2) Rushing 18th (109.2)

4th (249.5) Passing 2nd (272.2)

26th (347.5) TOTAL DEFENSE 18th (333.1)

13th (109.0) Rushing 32nd (176.5)

32nd (238.5) Passing 2nd (156.6)

7th (plus-7) TURNOVER RATIO T-5th (plus-8)[/quote]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=3][b]Look ahead at Bengals[/b][/size]
[size=5][b]Colts prepare for Johnson[/b][/size]

By Phillip B. Wilson
phillip.wilson@indystar.com

Here's a different spin on the Indianapolis Colts' run defense.

At least they won't have to worry much about covering Chad Johnson, who leads the NFL in receiving yards, on "Monday Night Football." Because if you're the Bengals, riding a four-game win streak and fighting to make the playoffs as a wild-card, why throw when you can just hand it off to 1,000-yard rusher Rudi Johnson?

Here are some story lines to follow in the coming days:

[b]Rudi's next:[/b] After giving up 375 yards on the ground at Jacksonville, the Colts face another big test in Johnson, a 228-pound halfback coming off his fourth 100-yard rushing game of the season. Eight backs have run for 100 yards on the Colts, which would seem to make the Bengals' game plan obvious. "I wouldn't think that would be a secret, the way the games have gone," Colts coach Tony Dungy said. "I don't think there's anybody who sits in here that doesn't feel like" the Bengals will try to run the ball.

[b]Prime-time perfection:[/b] The Colts have played three night games this season and won them all. They opened on the road with a 26-21 victory over the New York Giants, prevailed 27-20 at New England and beat Philadelphia 45-21 at home. [b]The Colts are 12-4 under Dungy in prime-time games and have won nine in a row.[/b]

[b]Points made:[/b] The Colts rank fifth in scoring but have managed 17 points or fewer in four of their past five games. Since Peyton Manning became quarterback in 1998, the Colts are 10-31 when they score 17 points or fewer. Despite giving up 104 points in a three-game losing streak, the Bengals have rebounded with four wins in which they have given up just 33 points. The Bengals' offense, sixth in scoring, has scored more than 17 points in nine games, while the Colts have allowed more than 17 in 10 games.

[b]What about Bob?[/b] Not only have the Colts struggled of late, they keep getting hurt. In light of shoulder injuries to safeties Antoine Bethea and Marlin Jackson, it would be an ideal week for Pro Bowl safety Bob Sanders to return from the knee surgery and lingering soreness that have kept him out of nine games. But Monday, Dungy issued his standard line of uncertainty about Sanders' status.

Call Star reporter Phillip B. Wilson at (317) 444-6642.[/quote]

[url="http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/SPORTS03/612120351/1100/SPORTS03"]http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1/1100/SPORTS03[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='405773' date='Dec 12 2006, 10:14 AM'][url="http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/SPORTS03/612120351/1100/SPORTS03"]http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1/1100/SPORTS03[/url][/quote]

They are missing key players and the replacements are thoroughly embarassed after the Jags spanked them. The 2nd stringers will be giving the best game they can for Monday night football.

They'll be looking to tighten it up against the run and they might be able to pull it off but that means the passing game will open up.

Also, Manning is less one more key reciever and their TE is out (he killed us last time we met). Our D should be able to contain Manning for our rush to get to him. On paper, we look good in a match up man-to-man but these guys are desperate.

I bet penalties are the true Colt killer on Monday night, especially when you a 2nd stringer and are desperate to turn it around.

[quote name='Jeb' post='405848' date='Dec 12 2006, 12:32 PM']They are missing key players and the replacements are thoroughly embarassed after the Jags spanked them. The 2nd stringers will be giving the best game they can for Monday night football.

They'll be looking to tighten it up against the run and they might be able to pull it off but that means the passing game will open up.

Also, Manning is less one more key reciever and their TE is out (he killed us last time we met). Our D should be able to contain Manning for our rush to get to him. On paper, we look good in a match up man-to-man but these guys are desperate.

I bet penalties are the true Colt killer on Monday night, especially when you a 2nd stringer and are desperate to turn it around.[/quote]

Good post. I could see them doing what we did to them last year and stack the box to stop Rudi as they are getting embarrassed by the run. This should open up our passing game to do what it does. If they dont stack the box then run. Basicly take what the give us.

When the worst pass defense(us) plays the worse rush defense(them) in the league the team that is most patient will win the game. We have to be stubborn if possible with the running game, pounding away and physically beating the Colts into submission. Having a patient attack on offense will also keep Peyton and Co. off the field, exactly were we want him.

The Colts do have injuries to key weapons, namely Dallas Clark. Without Clark they don't have a legit 3rd option in their 3 wr set. However Peyton is one of the best qb's ever and he is a fierce competitor who is tough to beat at home.

We must play for 60 minutes regardless of the score. I remember a few years ago when Peyton and Co. scored 21 points in the final 4 minutes of a game to beat TB on MNF. After losing to SD despite being up 28-7 we can't relax or think the game is won until the clock reads 0:00 4th qtr.

This game is very winnable as we have the best offense in the NFL, we have the best combination of qb, rb's, wr's and o-line in the league. Our defense is playing like everyone wants and expects them to play, who can stop the Bengals? The Bengals are the only team that can beat the Bengals.

Guest Bengals1181
the only part that slightly worries me is Ricky Proehl. For some reason the Bengals have trouble with players who have lost a step, but are crafty veterans.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='405885' date='Dec 12 2006, 01:32 PM']the only part that slightly worries me is Ricky Proehl. For some reason the Bengals have trouble with players who have lost a step, but are crafty veterans.[/quote]

Hmm, ...how about matching Tory up on him, ...that would negate that problem. They seem to be a perfect match! :D

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='Jeb' post='405895' date='Dec 12 2006, 01:46 PM']Hmm, ...how about matching Tory up on him, ...that would negate that problem. They seem to be a perfect match! :D[/quote]

that's what I was thinking:

Harrison - Deltha
Wayne - JJ
Proehl - James

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='405897' date='Dec 12 2006, 01:49 PM']that's what I was thinking:
Harrison - Deltha
Wayne - JJ
Proehl - James[/quote]

Yeah, I think we have the edge on the matchup. JJ will be on Wayne like a second skin!

we can have a good game but some food for thought.

indy just got smacked bad, 2nd most yards in a game sinve 1970. they will do everything to stop the run. now granted this may help our passing game. but dont be surprised if indy doesnt play us like its the superbowl. they are hurting and need a win after losing so many.

remember our D after the chargers game?.....they turned it around. so lets just hope we have a balanced game....then we will win

its gonna be close either way, but I believe we can win it

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='405885' date='Dec 12 2006, 01:32 PM']the only part that slightly worries me is Ricky Proehl. For some reason the Bengals have trouble with players who have lost a step, but are crafty veterans.[/quote]

That's all that worries you? Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison don't worry you? Peyton Manning?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='405897' date='Dec 12 2006, 01:49 PM']that's what I was thinking:
Harrison - Deltha
Wayne - JJ
Proehl - James[/quote]

That's not how the Bengals do things. Deltha lines up on one side of the field, Tory on the other. They aren't assigned a certain player.

[quote name='rudi32' post='405974' date='Dec 12 2006, 03:55 PM']we can have a good game but some food for thought.

indy just got smacked bad, 2nd most yards in a game sinve 1970. they will do everything to stop the run. now granted this may help our passing game. but dont be surprised if indy doesnt play us like its the superbowl. they are hurting and need a win after losing so many.

remember our D after the chargers game?.....they turned it around. so lets just hope we have a balanced game....then we will win

its gonna be close either way, but I believe we can win it[/quote]

Jacksonville was a division game. If you are to compare them to us then I would look at our 1st Ratbird game as being more comparable.

The Bolts game followed the Ratbird game and although it was a loss for us, it was the game our offense finally came together and everything clicked (wtg Bluto). Our defense fell down and couldn't get back up (not even for Lifealert).

The following Saints game was the turnaround game for our D and they've been stingy ever since while the offense has put up decent numbers. We're going in the right direction.

Still, I can't see a direct comparison of us to them because unlike them, we are getting players back but they are losing key starters. It seems to me they are going in the wrong direction (injury wise) for a playoff run, IMO.

[quote name='Jeb' post='406165' date='Dec 12 2006, 08:06 PM']Still, I can't see a direct comparison of us to them because unlike them, we are getting players back but they are losing key starters. It seems to me they are going in the wrong direction (injury wise) for a playoff run, IMO.[/quote]

I really hope this is the tale of the tape...I almost feel bad for them in reading about the injuries, because the Bengals went through that this year.

But this is the time to be merciless, zero in on their holes and execute them to death.

If they can do that, and our D continues to tackle and apply some pressure...It can and will be done.

BZ

Guest BengalBacker

We just need all 11 guys on the field to make good football plays and we'll be fine.

:unsure:

:)

But seriously... We're as good as anybody out there. Like most games, this one will probably be decided by tipped balls, lucky bounces and bad calls. When those things go your way, it boosts your confidence and momentum. When they go against you, you let down. Momentum is a real energy and games can take a complete turn when any of those things happen.

It really is a game of inches. We just have to pray to the football gods that they giveth us inches and not taketh away. Of course most of us already pray for that anyway, but this time it will be about football. :D

[quote name='TheBZ' post='406228' date='Dec 12 2006, 09:27 PM']I really hope this is the tale of the tape...I almost feel bad for them in reading about the injuries, because the Bengals went through that this year.

But this is the time to be merciless, zero in on their holes and execute them to death.

If they can do that, and our D continues to tackle and apply some pressure...It can and will be done.

BZ[/quote]

I believe the term is, ..."no quarter", ...given or expected!

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='406275' date='Dec 12 2006, 10:19 PM']We just need all 11 guys on the field to make good football plays and we'll be fine.
:unsure:
:)
But seriously... We're as good as anybody out there. Like most games, this one will probably be decided by tipped balls, lucky bounces and bad calls. When those things go your way, it boosts your confidence and momentum. When they go against you, you let down. Momentum is a real energy and games can take a complete turn when any of those things happen.

It really is a game of inches. We just have to pray to the football gods that they giveth us inches and not taketh away. Of course most of us already pray for that anyway, but this time it will be about football. :D[/quote]

With all the 2nd stringers, ...I believe penalties could be a real problem for them.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Agent Orange' post='406370' date='Dec 13 2006, 07:00 AM']With all this talk about Indy's run defense(or lack thereof), what about their pass defense?[/quote]

Indy has played some of the worst passing Offenses in the NFL.

Giants have the 17th ranked Passing Offense, Texans are ranked 23rd, Jags are 25th (Colts have played
them twice) Jets are ranked 22nd, Titans are ranked 28th (Colts have played them twice), Redskins are
ranked 24th, Broncos are ranked 27th and the Bills are ranked 30th.

That`s 10 of their 13 games right there. They also faced the Eagles in their first game without McNabb (ranked 3rd),
the Patriots (ranked 13th in passing Offense) and the Cowboys (ranked 7th).

So the Colts #2 ranking in Pass Defense is more than decieving, ecspecially when you consider how
horrible they are against the run. Anyway, the Raiders are ranked #1 against the pass, look what
Palmer did to them...

Archived