Gilbert Arenas Wants to Play Duke

[quote][b]Arenas Says He’d Score ’84 or 85’ Against Duke[/b]
Posted Jan 25 2007 9:45PM

WASHINGTON(AP) Gilbert Arenas would like to go back to school and teach Coach K a lesson.

The Washington Wizards' All-Star figures he could score "84 or 85'' points if he got a chance to play Duke and coach Mike Krzyzewski, who cut Arenas from the U.S. national team last summer.

Arenas has promised this season to take out his frustrations about the national team on Krzyzewski's Team USA assistants, Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni and Portland coach Nate McMillan.

Arenas scored 54 points against the Suns last month and has said his next 50-point game will come against the Trail Blazers on Feb. 11, prompting D'Antoni to say: "I can't wait to see what he does against Duke. He's gonna kill Duke.''

"He'd like to see what I'm going to do against Duke,'' Arenas wrote in a posting this week on his nba.com blog. "I thought it was funny because if I have the chance to go back to college, I'll give up one NBA season to play against Duke.

"One college game that's five fouls, right? ... 40-minute game at Duke, they got soft rims I'd probably score 84 or 85. I wouldn't pass the ball. I wouldn't even think about passing it. It would be like a NBA Live or an NBA 2K7 game, you just shoot with one person.''

Arenas was one of the final cuts from Team USA before last year's world championships. The team announced he was released because of a strained groin, but Arenas said the injury was minor and a convenient excuse to cut a player who was getting little playing time.

Arenas, who has made a career out of using snubs as motivation, made a late surge in the All-Star fan voting to pass Vince Carter and earn a spot in the starting lineup, announced Thursday.

Arenas trailed Carter by more than 200,000 votes as of Jan. 11, but he nipped Carter by 3,010 - the fourth-closest margin ever - to gain the spot alongside Dwyane Wade for the East in next month's game at Las Vegas.

"Dreams do come true, no matter what people say,'' Arenas said. "Just work hard and things come to life. I am a living truth of it.''

Copyright 2006 by STATS LLC and Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated

[url="http://www.nba.com/nba_news/arenas_duke_070125.html"]http://www.nba.com/nba_news/arenas_duke_070125.html[/url][/quote]

Archived