Question for Computer Buffs

WD40

Long story short, I have a computer on the second floor of my house. Attached, i have a Linksys Wireless-N router.

Currently, the only thing I use it for is to connect my Xbox 360 using the Microsoft wireless adapter for the 360, which works on wirless-g. The problem I'm having is that the Xbox is in the basement and while I get usually 3or 4 out of 4 bars of reception from the router, whenever I pick up my cordless phone, it kicks the 360 offline. This happens with both 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz phones. (I have both.) Is the connection issue solely because of the distance between the router and the 360? Will a signal repeater/expander help stop the phone from disconnecting the 360? If so, should I get a wireless-g or wireless-n, and which would you recommend? Should I just live with it and not use the phone when I'm gaming online?

Please, feel free to offer any advice as to how I can best solve this problem. It will be appreciated.

[quote name='WD40' post='438560' date='Feb 7 2007, 10:12 PM']Long story short, I have a computer on the second floor of my house. Attached, i have a Linksys Wireless-N router.

Currently, the only thing I use it for is to connect my Xbox 360 using the Microsoft wireless adapter for the 360, which works on wirless-g. The problem I'm having is that the Xbox is in the basement and while I get usually 3or 4 out of 4 bars of reception from the router, whenever I pick up my cordless phone, it kicks the 360 offline. This happens with both 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz phones. (I have both.) Is the connection issue solely because of the distance between the router and the 360? Will a signal repeater/expander help stop the phone from disconnecting the 360? If so, should I get a wireless-g or wireless-n, and which would you recommend? Should I just live with it and not use the phone when I'm gaming online?

Please, feel free to offer any advice as to how I can best solve this problem. It will be appreciated.[/quote]
do you have an old house or a newer house? and im assuming your using the telephone company's DSL

if you have an old house (more than 30 years old) then you may have a MTU or half ringer installed in your house. This was testing equipment that the phone company used to use but doesnt any more. The problem with it is that it will interrupt the DSL line whenever the phone line is activated. So it has to be removed to properly function. If this is the case i am the wrong person to ask cause i have no clue how to do it

Now if this is a new problem and you've been using the same internet connection for a long time and this happened out of the blue, a power outage can cause certain routers and phones to reset to a default channel and they may have reset to the same one or close to the same one. I would get into your router settings and change the channel to a low number and im guessing the default is 6 so change to 1 or 2.

The house I live in is old, and has plaster walls, but I do not use the phone co.'s DSL. I have road runner. The problem has been around since i hooked up the 360 wirelessly. I actually went out and bought a 5.8ghz phone thinking that it would not interfere since the router works on a 2.4 ghz wavelength.

I have never tried to change channels on the router. Frankly, I never realized that you could. I will try to set the phone channels on the high end and the router channel on the low end. Thanks for the advice.

[quote name='WD40' post='438586' date='Feb 7 2007, 10:58 PM']The house I live in is old, and has plaster walls, but I do not use the phone co.'s DSL. I have road runner. The problem has been around since i hooked up the 360 wirelessly. I actually went out and bought a 5.8ghz phone thinking that it would not interfere since the router works on a 2.4 ghz wavelength.

I have never tried to change channels on the router. Frankly, I never realized that you could. I will try to set the phone channels on the high end and the router channel on the low end. Thanks for the advice.[/quote]

put the router on channel 11

might have to update some firmware in the router to even get channel 11......... read it on a few message boards about this same topic...

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' post='438602' date='Feb 7 2007, 11:43 PM']Have you tried changing the channel on your wireless router?

Switching from g to b?

I'm just throwing out some things here.[/quote]

I know I can force a wireless-g signal, but not sure about wireless-b, since it is a wireless-n router.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='438604' date='Feb 7 2007, 11:45 PM']put the router on channel 11

might have to update some firmware in the router to even get channel 11......... read it on a few message boards about this same topic...[/quote]

this sounds like a winner. Will try this when I get home from work. I hope that the firmware upgrade for channel 11 is available, if it does not yet have that channel. Will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

Archived