The NEW and IMPROVED Lavar Arrington thread!

[quote name='ravonaf' post='441278' date='Feb 14 2007, 05:45 PM']This isn't the same defense. Not even close. This is Chuck B's defense. Not Marvins.[/quote]

What are you talking about?

Look at the 2000 ravens and comapre them with what we were trying to do pre-injury/suspention

The Safties are in the same ballhawking mold ie: we dont have a SS who is better in the box than in coverage and they are both interchangeable

The Dline isnt full of superstarts but solid players, hell we even brought in Sam Adams who was on the same 2000 ravens line (as well as kim herring at safey who was one of the starting safties on that team)

We have a fast but slightly undersized MLB in Odell who [b]some[/b] had compared to Ray Lewis

We had a SAM that put his arm down on plays in Pollack just like Boleware did in B-more.

Yes Im sure Chuck has his own plays and flavor to it, but this is predominatly molded after the ravens team that won marvin his ring.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='441281' date='Feb 14 2007, 06:00 PM']Yes Im sure Chuck has his own plays and flavor to it, but this is predominatly molded after the ravens team that won marvin his ring.[/quote]

That's the deciding factor. When it's all said and done the personality of a defense comes down to who's running it. Marvin has made it painfully obvious this is Chuck's show. In 4 years this defense has never finished above a 28th ranking. Marvin has said many times he can't run the defense. That means it's Chucks defense. It's rather pathetic he's still here.

[quote name='ravonaf' post='441309' date='Feb 15 2007, 12:24 AM']That's the deciding factor. When it's all said and done the personality of a defense comes down to who's running it. Marvin has made it painfully obvious this is Chuck's show. In 4 years this defense has never finished above a 28th ranking. Marvin has said many times he can't run the defense. That means it's Chucks defense. It's rather pathetic he's still here.[/quote]
I'm no Bres fan, but it isn't like this has been his D for 4 years. And it's not like he has had nearly a full compliment of healthy players at his disposal during his tenure.

This year will be his make or break, imo. Let's hope his best players remain available to him so that he can have half a shot at success...

[quote name='ravonaf' post='441309' date='Feb 14 2007, 07:24 PM']That's the deciding factor. When it's all said and done the personality of a defense comes down to who's running it. Marvin has made it painfully obvious this is Chuck's show. In 4 years this defense has never finished above a 28th ranking. Marvin has said many times he can't run the defense. That means it's Chucks defense. It's rather pathetic he's still here.[/quote]

Ok so were having a diffrent discussion then, because I was speaking to the fact that we do have a scheme and that its predominatly the same one Marvin used in baltimore, the discussion your having is about the defence's personality and that comming from chuck. Two different conversations.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='441360' date='Feb 14 2007, 09:43 PM']Ok so were having a diffrent discussion then, because I was speaking to the fact that we do have a scheme and that its predominatly the same one Marvin used in baltimore, the discussion your having is about the defence's personality and that comming from chuck. Two different conversations.[/quote]

Yeah. I can understand that. You could say it's the same scheme. That's pretty much x's and o's. I would be willing to bet it's changed somewhat since then. When we say "scheme" are we talking about just a 4-3 defense. Or are we talking about a 4-3 defense with certain player type phylosophy? I would say he doesn't have the same players types yet that he had in Baltimore. I think it's obvious when he takes chances on certain defensive players in the draft that he's trying to find players that fit his scheme. I would also bet the plays being called are a bit different and that Chuck's brought some of his own in.

[quote name='ravonaf' post='441421' date='Feb 15 2007, 06:40 AM']Yeah. I can understand that. You could say it's the same scheme. That's pretty much x's and o's. I would be willing to bet it's changed somewhat since then. When we say "scheme" are we talking about just a 4-3 defense. Or are we talking about a 4-3 defense with certain player type phylosophy? I would say he doesn't have the same players types yet that he had in Baltimore. I think it's obvious when he takes chances on certain defensive players in the draft that he's trying to find players that fit his scheme. I would also bet the plays being called are a bit different and that Chuck's brought some of his own in.[/quote]

I think he has a few potentials that could be like the ones in b-more but Pollack and Thurman were out, Sam was hurt, Madieu had a down year as did Deltha. But yes we still have a number to add to get it remotely the same from a type of player that fits the scheme standpoint.

Archived