High School Basketball

[url="http://basketball-camp.net/highlights_benefits.php"]Blue Chip Basketball Camp[/url]

I've been urged to send my son to a competetive basketball summer camp, he played freshman BB for Ludlow HS and did pretty good, his only downfall so far is that he's only 5'5" but he has a sweet shot, decent ball handling skills, fast and quick and has great defense. also has a ton of confidence. My problem is I'm worried that this camp may be too competetive and he could get swallowed up by the bigger kids and actually lose his confidence. Wondering if I should keep him in the local (crappy) BB camps and wait til he grows a bit or throw him right into the mix and see how he fares?

Any and all advice will be appreciated

[quote name='Storm' post='474326' date='Apr 18 2007, 06:25 PM'][url="http://basketball-camp.net/highlights_benefits.php"]Blue Chip Basketball Camp[/url]

I've been urged to send my son to a competetive basketball summer camp, he played freshman BB for Ludlow HS and did pretty good, his only downfall so far is that he's only 5'5" but he has a sweet shot, decent ball handling skills, fast and quick and has great defense. also has a ton of confidence. My problem is I'm worried that this camp may be too competetive and he could get swallowed up by the bigger kids and actually lose his confidence. Wondering if I should keep him in the local (crappy) BB camps and wait til he grows a bit or throw him right into the mix and see how he fares?
Any and all advice will be appreciated[/quote]

3 letters: HGH.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

i wouldnt go to a big time one. go to one kinda close. I went to a Skip Prosser one when he was still at X and it was great. i even got to work with posey and lumpkin and brian grant stopped by 1 day. i wasnt blown away by any talent and it wasnt a bunch of slacks either. I doubt Mick Cronin has one, Sean Miller might. I dont know if Charlie Coles does any. You should look for a local area one though.

This is going to be his soph. year coming up from the way i read your post. I would go to a local one and if he shows improvement or found it helpful/fun then his junior and senior years i would look for one that is "bigger." I think you have to be built into your body more for the big time camps to be really helpful and he sounds like he has a good chance at having a growth spurt still being somewhere between 14-16 right now.

Thats is my advice based on my past experience. I missed out on going to a Jordan camp because of a fuckin family vacation. I dont like jordan, but that camp would have been huge for me. :(

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='474595' date='Apr 19 2007, 07:49 AM']i wouldnt go to a big time one. go to one kinda close. I went to a Skip Prosser one when he was still at X and it was great. i even got to work with posey and lumpkin and brian grant stopped by 1 day. i wasnt blown away by any talent and it wasnt a bunch of slacks either. I doubt Mick Cronin has one, Sean Miller might. I dont know if Charlie Coles does any. You should look for a local area one though.

This is going to be his soph. year coming up from the way i read your post. I would go to a local one and if he shows improvement or found it helpful/fun then his junior and senior years i would look for one that is "bigger." I think you have to be built into your body more for the big time camps to be really helpful and he sounds like he has a good chance at having a growth spurt still being somewhere between 14-16 right now.

Thats is my advice based on my past experience. I missed out on going to a Jordan camp because of a fuckin family vacation. I dont like jordan, but that camp would have been huge for me. :([/quote]

Thanks, after having a talk with him I convinced him that he has some things to work on before going to that camp, he's been to a few local camps here in NKY but they were pretty much crap and I heard NKUs wasn't all that either, I will try to look at Xavier, UC and Miami. Hopefully he does grow some more [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//42.gif[/img] the Dr says he should be close to 6"1. I hope so because he definitely has some skills.

[quote]3 letters: HGH.[/quote]

haha, I was never serious about it but it did cross my mind, I heard if taken correctly it can be safe but I really haven't looked into it, I did see a report where some older people are taking it now.

Archived