No Hockey

Jason

What are your feelings now that the NHL season is officially over?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feelings now that the NHL season is officially over?

• Damn I actually like it !
    • Yippee! one more time! Hockey Sucks
    • I could care less

Guest oldschooler
They fucked theirselve.

The players should have agreed to the salary cap.

The owners submitted a cap that was half of what the
NFL cap is.

Hockey doesn`t have as many players and
is not half as popular (money) as the NFL.

Anyway fuck them. Hockey sucks and obviously
they didn`t learn shit from the Baseball strike.

OK u know how bad hockeys tv ratings where? College womens basket ball gets better ratings.. .SHIT BEFORE THEY CLOSED DOWN THE WPBA that got better ratings the NHL.. i love hockey.. aparently everyone else does not.... wow... but it is the players fault they want more money then the owners even were making off the season. the owners had the right idea of not siging themselves to a money draining deal... the players should have relized that.

I love hockey and am severely pissed. I know it's not very popular and Cincy is not a hockey town, but I used to love going to see the Cyclones.

It is definitely time for a change in the NHL, however, and if this is what it takes, so be it. Minor league hockey is way more fun to watch than NHL, and has been for some time. I've been going to Capitols games ever since I moved to the area and those games have been getting more and more boring every year. And not just because the Caps suck.

Big changes need to be made to save this sport. Not just financial restructuring. Rules need to be changed to make the game more interesting. A few minor tweaks and some of you hockey-haters may even enjoy watching now and then...

Guest 34inXXIII
I, too, am disappointed at the loss of the hockey season. I find the league immesely more entertaining than the NBA. I'm also disappointed that the league hasn't been able to build up enough of a fan base for this event to make a significant impact on sports fans in general. I don't know what it would take some of these non-hockey fans to try to appreciate what a great sport it is, but, as CatScratchFever pointd out, this is definitely the time to figure it out.

Maybe they need to focus on phasing out the fighting to attract fans like BengalLady. This notion that it is a part of the game is sad and disturbing. It's assault. The NBA and especially the NFL have their fair share of physical play yet you don't see fights nearly as frequently as you do in the NHL; yet, those two league are quite popular.

Maybe they need to focus on scoring. Who's going to hate this most? Well, goaltenders, and I love goaltending. Nonetheless, as much as I love a good 1-0 battle, today's video game society demands more action - and who amongst us wouldn't like more action, but that's a whole different " sport" [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img] . Anyways, one of the first things that comes to mind is the neutral zone trap. Get rid of it. Again, this has been kind to me as the practice helped my beloved Panthers reach the Stanley Cup Finals. It's a great strategy but bad for the game. Other ideas? Eliminate the red line at center ice. Enforce tighter restrictions on goalie equipment. Slightly wider goals. Want to go even further? How about eliminating minor penalties. If your player gets 2 minutes, he gets 2 minutes, regardless of how many goals are scored. Don't like it? Don't take a stupid penalty.

BengalsCat mentioned the overtime shootout. The 4-on-4 5-minute overtime was a great idea and provides wide open ice in a sudden death environment. This should be retained, However, the shootout following a scoreless overtime would add even more excitement for the fans instead of settling for a lousy tie after an emotional finish to regulation & overtime. I still vividly remember Peter Forsberg winning Olympic gold for Sweden with some amazing stick-handling on the 1994 Olympics. That was when my hockey fandom was in its infancy. Those are the kind of moments the NHL will need in 2005-2006.

IF there's a 2005-2006 season.

Slightly off topic, but here's a website where some pissed off Canadians are trying to take control of the Stanley Cup from the NHL due to the lockout.

[url="http://www.freestanley.com/"]Free Stanley[/url]

It sounds like they might actually have a legal "leg to stand on".

[quote name='The J Dub' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:11 AM']yeah me either, however there was a movie in the 90's called airborne about a surfer kid who comes to cincy to live with his cousin and the city is portrayed strongly as a hockey town.
[right][post="49397"][/post][/right][/quote]

Yup, the inner city school was filled with hockey loving white kids.... there was one black kid and a mexican.....

:lol:

Guest Gonzoid
[quote name='BengalsCat' date='Feb 17 2005, 03:56 PM']Also they need to do something bout people watching on TV... hightlight the puck bright fuckin red so all my friends from fl can figure out how to follow the thing...
[right][post="48399"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
They did that about ten years ago. When the FOX network had Hockey, they thought it'd be a good idea to have a special chip inside the puck that caused it to glow so the viewer at home could see where it is. The purists, of course, hated it but for folks who were just channel surfing, it probably helped them follow the game better.

I'm a rabid Hockey fan. Yes, in Cincinnati. I supported the Cyclones when they were here and I now support the Ducks (even though I hate Analheim). Folks who go on about Hockey being too boring probably have never been to a game in person. It's a fun sport, fun to play and steeped in more history than most sports.

As for the lockout & the cancelling of the season, it serves The owners and the players made this problem and they waited until the last minute to even try to fix it. I love the Columbus Blue Jackets & the Detroit Red Wings and it costs an arm & a leg to go see them play.

The NHL will come back but they're going to have to seriously address issues like the focus on defense, the goalie gear, and eliminating those stupid ties. That and a healthy salary structure and Hockey will be stronger than ever.

Guest Gonzoid

[quote name='34inXXIII' date='Feb 17 2005, 05:55 PM']Maybe they need to focus on phasing out the fighting to attract fans like BengalLady.  This notion that it is a part of the game is sad and disturbing.  It's assault.  The NBA and especially the NFL have their fair share of physical play yet you don't see fights nearly as frequently as you do in the NHL; yet, those two league are quite popular.[right][post="48474"][/post][/right][/quote]
Call me old school, call me a neanderthal but I think the fighting should stay. One of the reasons stick injuries increased was because Bettman put in that idiotic instigator rule. I guarantee that if that rule wasn't enforced, Steve Moore would still be playing Hockey.

If they remove the fighting, fine. I'll miss it. However, if they remove it, those refs better keep an eye on those stick penalties.

[quote]Anyways, one of the first things that comes to mind is the neutral zone trap.  Get rid of it.[/quote]
I'm for that. Part of why Hockey is perceived as boring is because so many teams nowadays implement mind-numbingly dull defensive systems. Ban the trap, ban the clutch & grab, even ban the dump & chase. No good ever comes of any of it.

[quote]Eliminate the red line at center ice.[/quote]
Disagree. Teams would just come up with newer forms of defense to stop it. Plus, it leads to cherry picking. I hate cherry pickers.

[quote]Enforce tighter restrictions on goalie equipment.[/quote]
AKA the Garth Snow rule. :lol:

[quote]Want to go even further?  How about eliminating minor penalties.  If your player gets 2 minutes, he gets 2 minutes, regardless of how many goals are scored.  Don't like it?  Don't take a stupid penalty.[/quote]
That used to be the rule. But folks like Rocket Richard would score two, three, four goals during a power play so they had to change it. I say let them serve two minutes or if the other team scores during that PP. But don't let the team killing the penalty to ice the puck. They're being penalized, y'know? That's like putting cable in prison.
[quote]BengalsCat mentioned the overtime shootout.  The 4-on-4 5-minute overtime was a great idea and provides wide open ice in a sudden death environment.  This should be retained, However, the shootout following a scoreless overtime would add even more excitement for the fans instead of settling for a lousy tie after an emotional finish to regulation & overtime.[/quote]
I'm a fan of the shootout. The AHL (the league that the Cincy Ducks play in) added shootouts this season and the fans love it.

[quote]I still vividly remember Peter Forsberg winning Olympic gold for Sweden with some amazing stick-handling on the 1994 Olympics.  That was when my hockey fandom was in its infancy.[/quote]
The goalie Forsberg scored against, Corey Hirsch, played briefly for the Cincinnati Cyclones during the 2000-2001 season.

Guest 34inXXIII
[quote name='Gonzoid' date='Feb 25 2005, 07:23 PM']Call me old school, call me a neanderthal but I think the fighting should stay. One of the reasons stick injuries increased was because Bettman put in that idiotic instigator rule. I guarantee that if that rule wasn't enforced, Steve Moore would still be playing Hockey.

If they remove the fighting, fine. I'll miss it. However, if they remove it, those refs better keep an eye on those stick penalties.[/quote]

I'll admit that I haven't played hockey, so you may have a better perception of what will work in the league and what wouldn't. Then again, most fans the NHL will need to attract will not have played hockey either, so I'm just trying to look at it from a fan's perspective. I lliked watching the NHL as it was.

Anyways, I had a lengthy discussion with a close friend about fighting in hockey and asked him a question you already answered. Would you stop watching if there were no fighting allowed? He danced around the question at first, but clearly he and a large majority of hockey fans wouldn't stop watching. Look at the NFL and NBA. There's plenty of physical play in both those league's but not nearly as much fighting, yet those league's - particularly the NFL - are quite popular.

Archived