Chad being sued...

[quote name='BengalBaron' post='482720' date='May 4 2007, 06:48 PM']Ok. Think about this-- according to published reports, these individuals were "cheated" out of a drawing for a Lexus, a European vacation, super bowl tickets, and probowl tickets. There were 600 tickets available in this raffle at $17 a piece. A sum of $10,200 (600*17) was raised. I do not know if this includes tickets for the comedy show either, but I do know that it appears the awards are probably valued closer to $100,000 than the $10,000 raised. The award winning investigation done by the local television station doesn't even say what the raffle is for. By law, the raffle must be raising money for some non-profit purpose. I would examine Kentucky’s gambling laws pertaining to raffles. For what purpose are Chad and the comedy shop giving away so much for so very little?

This whole story stinks. Something is definitely awry. Anybody in their right mind would buy every ticket available for a guaranteed payout. I think Chad in his attempts to be humorous might have said something like " I am giving away a Lexus tonight to someone in the audience.", and then gives the car to his girlfriend. --- which is the exact quote used. This is not illegal and anyone can say such things....

[color="#FF0000"][size=5]By the way, the first person who responds to this post will receive $10 billion from me..... [/color][/size]
If you think this will happen, please start taking some law classes. You are sorely mistaken.[/quote]

Could I just have a Diet Coke instead?

:ninja:

Homerism?

Regardless whether it a civil or criminal lawsuit, a person is innocent until proven guilty. Being a fan of the team doesn't change the circumstances of the accusation.

And, your thoughts criticizing someone for not signing autographs was petty. You should be grateful if you ever get the opportunity. The Bengals are by far more accessible to their fans than most NFL teams.

[quote name='BengalBaron' post='483119' date='May 5 2007, 11:54 PM']Homerism?

Regardless whether it a civil or criminal lawsuit, a person is innocent until proven guilty. Being a fan of the team doesn't change the circumstances of the accusation.

And, your thoughts criticizing someone for not signing autographs was petty. You should be grateful if you ever get the opportunity. The Bengals are by far more accessible to their fans than most NFL teams.[/quote]

not signing up for a line of people who pre-PAID for his autograph is bullshit, if it was free, no biggie, but people apid for tickets to wait in lnie and gt his sig, i wasnt there i could care less, but he is no nice guy.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Johnson Could Face Charges In Fraud Investigation[/b][/size]

POSTED: 6:55 pm EDT May 9, 2007
UPDATED: 7:18 pm EDT May 9, 2007

NEWPOPRT, Ky. -- Chad Johnson is known for catching passes, but lately he’s been catching flack from raffle-ticket holders who said the Cincinnati Bengals receiver jilted them.

Several people have sued Johnson, whom they said offered to give away prizes such as Super Bowl tickets and a Lexus at Funny Bone Comedy Club in Newport.

The ticket buyers said they never received their winnings from the Pro Bowl receiver or the club.

“I was really upset when I found out I wasn’t going on my trip,” said Shanell Holston, who thought she had won a trip to the NFL Pro Bowl in Honolulu.

Holston said she believed she’d won tickets to the game, airfare and hotel accommodations.

“All we had to have was spending money, pack our bags and wait for the call,” she said.

Holston said she bought new luggage for the trip and filled her suitcases with $1,500 in new clothes.

“It was a fraud (and) people made money off of us,” she said. “Now I have no faith in Chad at all.”

Sources close to the club said there is another side to this story but they can’t comment at this time, and News 5 has learned that the team will discuss the matter with the Kentucky attorney general.

The Campbell County commonwealth attorney is reviewing the suit filed by attorney Eric Deters and a representative told News 5 their office would know by next week whether they’ll ask Newport police to investigate the claims.[/quote]

[url="http://www.wlwt.com/news/13289587/detail.html"]http://www.wlwt.com/news/13289587/detail.html[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Deters: Chad's Lexus raffle illegal?[/b][/size]
BY SCOTT WARTMAN | SWARTMAN@NKY.COM

NEWPORT - An attorney has asked the state attorney general’s office to determine whether the Funny Bone Comedy Club in Newport violated any laws in holding a raffle where, according to a lawsuit, prizes were not delivered.

Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson and the Funny Bone Comedy Club are defendants in a suit filed by Independence attorney Eric Deters claiming several people did not receive prizes promised in a raffle.

At the center of the suit is a claim that Johnson offered to raffle a Lexus he got as a gift from a Florida dealership. The raffle was during a regular comedy show Johnson hosts at the club during football season, according to the suit.

Other defendants say they were supposed to have received trips to the Probowl, Superbowl and Europe from Johnson that they never received.

Deters said he wants to know whether Funny Bone violated state gaming laws by holding a raffle. Deters has asked the state attorney general's office and Campbell County Commonwealth’s attorneys office to review the lawsuit and determine whether the club violated theft/fraud laws or gaming laws.

Officials with both offices said they are reviewing the case but declined to comment further.

The attorney general’s office sent a letter on Wednesday to the Funny Bone asking them to respond within two weeks to the allegation, said spokeswoman Vicki Glass.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070509/NEWS0103/305090023"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...S0103/305090023[/url]

I would like to hear an account of someone who went to one of these "raffles" who isn't a part of the suit.

I don't want to pass judgement.... But this reeks of gold-digging... At any rate, I have a hard time believing that Chad has anything to gain by defrauding people at a comedy club... The Funny Bone might... But why on earth would Chad have anything to do with such a thing??

It just doesn't make sense. My money would be on this being a joke gone awry, resulting in a horrible misunderstanding, or people stirring up some shit in hopes a wealthy athelete will be willing to pay out to keep his name from being dragged through the mud...

With the negative publicity surrounding the team and the NFL crack-down, the latter wouldn't be surprising.

I'm not trying to say Chad is an angel (Go), just that I can't see any rational motive for Chad to do this.

[quote name='Lucid' post='484903' date='May 10 2007, 12:31 PM']I would like to hear an account of someone who went to one of these "raffles" who isn't a part of the suit.

I don't want to pass judgement.... But this reeks of gold-digging... At any rate, I have a hard time believing that Chad has anything to gain by defrauding people at a comedy club... The Funny Bone might... But why on earth would Chad have anything to do with such a thing??

It just doesn't make sense. My money would be on this being a joke gone awry, resulting in a horrible misunderstanding, or people stirring up some shit in hopes a wealthy athlete will be willing to pay out to keep his name from being dragged through the mud...

With the negative publicity surrounding the team and the NFL crack-down, the latter wouldn't be surprising.

I'm not trying to say Chad is an angel (Go), just that I can't see any rational motive for Chad to do this.[/quote]

nothing about the situation makes a ton of sense, i would assume, chad was asked to give away some little prizes, and being the showman that he is came up with this stuff on the spot, he gets pro bowl an superbowl tickets as a player, so toss a few bucks for plane tickets and he is golden, he was likely getting paid nicely by the club to fill their seats each night, then come ticket time with family (or hot girls) wanting tickets too, he likely blew off the comedy club contest people, he seems to say whatever he wants to get some spotlight now, not necessarily considering future problems that it might cause, its similar to the time he walked into the ticket office and upgraded the ladies tickets on his dollar, nice gesture and all was finalized at that moment, if he made that promise and had to follow up later, would it have gotten done?

the peoples comments seem equally retarded "i bought new luggage and $1500 in new clothes" well your retarded. im sure the club goers got screwed as stated, i think the club and chad are both part of the screwing tho, i would guess chad expected to produce the tickets and maybe hotel and the club pay airfair or something, and the club expected chad to produce it all, i dunno, there is likely no chance EVERYONE is innocent in this, and a joke gone bad doesnt happen 3 times. i think these were all raffled on seperate nights werent they? even if not, you dont give away several "fake" prizes in one night either. it doesnt make sense.

Archived