Milton to the DL, Burton back

CTA513

From John Fays blog:

[quote][b]Milton to the DL; Burton back; Homer coming?[/b]

Eric Milton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with elbow strain. Jared Burton was brought back from his injury rebab.

The Reds haven't decided who will make Milton's start Sunday.

But Homer Bailey is in the running.

GM Wayne Krivsky said the starter could come from the current staff or the minor leagues.

"I don't know," Krivsky said. "I haven't talked to the (Louisville) staff yet."

Bailey pitched Monday, so he'd be working on the six days' rest. The start will fall on the turn of left-hander Bob Livingston. Bailey is 3-1 with a 1.83 ERA at Louisville, Livingston is 0-3 with 3.22.

If they want to stir some fan interest, it will be Bailey. The start comes on Sunday. The game is Fox Sport Ohio at 4:10 p.m. Starting Livingston is going to be a rating boon, Bailey would be.

Milton complained of pain after his start Tuesday. He had an MRI. "It's nothing serious," Krivsky said.

Burton has been rehabbing from at hamstring strain since April 17. He was expected to join the club in time for Wednesday's game.

"It will give eight relievers for the time being," Krivsky said.[/quote]

What a fucking shame that Uncle Milty hurt his elbow jerking off A-Men-HouseofPain last night. Its a pretty lame excuse to come up with an injury, when all Reds fans know its just b/c he fucking sucks. Bring up Homer or Livingston. Everyone said coming out of spring training that livingston should be with the big league team.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Who-Dey_Show' post='484651' date='May 9 2007, 10:09 PM'][b]What a fucking shame that Uncle Milty hurt his elbow jerking off last night.[/b] Its a pretty lame excuse to come up with an injury, when all Reds fans know its just b/c he fucking sucks. Bring up Homer or Livingston. Everyone said coming out of spring training that livingston should be with the big league team.[/quote]
u werent home last night, now i know why...you stalk uncle milty!

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='484652' date='May 9 2007, 10:12 PM']u werent home last night, now i know why...you stalk uncle milty![/quote]

How the hell do you know where i was last night are you stalking me now...you sick fuck. I always wondered why you wanted to be around me. Now i know...you were trying to RAPE me.

Updated article from John Fay:

[quote][size=3][b]Door open for Bailey promotion[/b]
Reds need starter with Milton on DL[/size]
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds have an opening to slip Homer Bailey in their rotation for a test run.

The 21-year-old, now at Triple-A Louisville, will be considered but is not a lock to join the Reds.

"I don't know," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said when asked about Bailey. "I haven't talked to the (Louisville) staff."

It's the first time the club hasn't publicly ruled out promoting Bailey.

The opening came when the club placed left-hander Eric Milton on the disabled list Wednesday with a sprained left elbow. Right-hander Jared Burton was brought back from his injury rehabilitation assignment, but he's a reliever.

Krivsky said the starter for Sunday's game could come from the current staff or the minors.

"It would be difficult for one of our guys to go six or seven innings," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

That would leave Triple-A. The start falls on left-hander Bobby Livingston's turn to pitch for Louisville. Livingston nearly made the Reds out of spring training.

You can make a strong case for Bailey, who would be working on six days' rest. He's been better at Louisville: Bailey is 3-1 with a 1.83 ERA and has allowed 20 hits in 341/3 innings; Livingston is 0-3 with a 3.22 ERA and has allowed 51 hits in 442/3 innings.

Left-hander Phil Dumatrait (4-1, 2.34) also is a possibility. But the Reds need to get fans excited, and bringing up Bailey would do that.

Milton said he hurt the elbow on one pitch Tuesday.

"It's nothing serious," Krivsky said.

But Milton won't throw for seven to 10 days. That will mean at least two starts for his replacement.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070510/SPT04/705100356/1071/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]Seventh, eighth are frame fatales[/b][/size]
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds' bullpen troubles have been hard to comprehend - even to old hands. "I haven't seen nothing like it in all my years," closer-in-waiting Eddie Guardado said. "It's mind-boggling. We've had everything happen - balls hit right down the line, bloops."

The Reds' problem hasn't been the ninth inning - closer David Weathers has converted six of seven save opportunities. The problem has been getting to the ninth.

Weathers is a set-up guy by trade, but since he's pitching the ninth, the eighth has been a problem.

"It's pretty obvious that the seventh and eighth innings have been difficult for us," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Any time you ask players to do more than they're capable of, you're going to run into difficulty."

[u]FIVE POSSIBLE BULLPEN FIXES[/u]

Here are our suggestions to fix the Reds' bullpen. As we see it, the club needs a closer so everyone else can move back an inning:

Bring up Homer Bailey: A similar move worked for the Boston Red Sox. They took their top pitching prospect, Jonathan Papelbon, and made him their closer.

Try Louisville closer Marcus McBeth: He's the guy the Reds got in the Chris Denorfia trade. He has a young, fresh arm and has closed successfully in the minors.

Give Dustin Hermanson another try: The Reds counted on Hermanson as their closer for part of spring training and then abruptly released him when he struggled late. Would things be different if they had stuck with him?

Petition Major League Baseball to allow the Reds to skip the eighth inning: OK, we're kidding about this one.

Call Jeff Shaw: The former Reds closer is only 40. He lives nearby in Washington Court House, and he probably has been throwing BP to his son's team.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070510/SPT04/705100351/1071/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]RELIEVERS NO REMEDY [/b][/size]

Score by innings

Team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Reds 25 9 9 15 11 19 20 28 12
Opponents 15 17 17 17 29 14 17 17 13

How bad is it?

The Reds' relievers rank last in the National League in ERA at 4.74.

During their homestand (entering Wednesday) they were 0-2 with a 5.09 ERA.

They have one save since April 15.

A different year

Two of the principals in the bullpen's struggles have been David Weathers and Todd Coffey. Weathers' numbers are similar to last year's; Coffey's are worse:

At this point last season, Coffey had an 0.49 ERA and had allowed 14 hits and one home run in 18 innings. This year, he has a 5.71 ERA and has allowed 20 hits and four homers in 171/3 innings.

At this point last season, Weathers had converted nine of 10 save opportunities and had a 3.86 ERA. This year, he has converted six of seven save chances and has posted a 2.70 ERA.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070510/SPT04/705100351/1071/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Archived