Is Nascar a Sport ?

Guest BlackJesus

Should Nascar be considered a Sport ???  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nascar be considered a Sport ???

• Yes
    • No

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='Feb 26 2005, 04:37 PM']Of course it's a sport.Ā  I'm not a fan, but it's still a sport.Ā  It's a physical activity, a test of endurance and skill, where there is a well-defined objective and a clear winner at the end.Ā 

Now, figure skating... that's not a sport.Ā  It's a dinner show.
[right][post="52136"][/post][/right][/quote]

Very good post !

People that don`t like Nascar or think it isn`t a sport
have never watched a race obviously.

Nascar is more than driving around in circles.
And they have Road tracks where they turn right even ! :P

But no seriously. Nascar isn `t something just any1 can do.
Just because you can drive a car ...doesn`t mean you can drive
a car 200 mph with another car bumping against you.
What these drivers do takes skill and endurance.
The drivers are known to lose anywhere between 10-20 pounds
during a race just from sweating !
And every1 that has drove on long trips should
know that it`s not easy...ecspecially with no bathroom breaks ! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//26.gif[/img]

Anyway ...how in the fuck is Golf considered a sport to some people
but Nascar isn`t ???
The player swings a club what ....70-80 times a day ....if he is good ?
And don`t 70 ad 80 year old men play Golf ? ....Yeah you gotta be
a helluva athlete to play that "sport" :rolleyes:

Guest BlackJesus

[color="blue"]Serious Question for anyone:

What do Drivers do if they have to shit during a race ????

Do they have some sort of system or toilet in there :blink: [/color]

Guest BlackJesus
I actually think I would like Nascar if they changed to this format

You seed all the cars like the NCAA tournament
1 vs 64 for example

Then you line the 2 cars up on the starting line with the higher seeded car on the inside then you race around the track 5 times.

That way spectators could tell who was winning like in Horseracing (Which I do consider a sport)

Then you would have torunaments and not the drawn out (round in round that you have now where you can't even tell who is winning)

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Feb 27 2005, 06:57 AM'][color="blue"]Serious Question for anyone:

Do they have some sort of system or toilet in thereĀ  :blink: [/color]

[right][post="52311"][/post][/right][/quote]

Like my Dad used to say when we went on a long drive.
"You don`t [b]have[/b] to shit....you just [b]think[/b] you [b]have[/b] to." [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img]

In other words...they don`t have bathroom breaks.
If you [b]have[/b] to go.....then you go where you sit. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]

Guest 34inXXIII
So, not everyone can do it, it's dangerous and it takes skill and endurance. OK then, if we can just add some kind of scoring system to fire fighting and stunt work, then we can add two more to the list of sports. Maybe we can start a league based on the Running of the Bulls. We could start the season with the Super Bowl of Running of the Bulls in Pamplona.

Horse Racing? Yes, it is a sport...for the horses.

I've had this debate before with a good friend of mine. He likes to harass me about my dislike for things like NASCAR and rodeo because I don't consider them sports. Like golf, they're merely competitions. Sitting on your ass for hours - no matter how difficult the task at hand while doing so - just doesn't constitute a sport to me. Same for jockeys in horse racing. If there's no running by a human participant - or a skater's sprint as in hockey - you don't have a sport (and, no, the pit crew doesn't count). I've generally believed sport involves an offense competing against a defense and some kind of clear-cut scoring system - in other words, no judges - to determine a winner for a single competition, but I've personally struggled with that a bit based on the gruelling nature of such competitions as marathons, triathalaons and endurance cycling, a la the Tour de France.

As a result: golf, auto racing, bowling, horse racing, synchronized swimming, figure skating...not a sport.

Baseball, basketball, football, hockey, soccer, cricket, field hockey, water polo...sport.

Then again, that's just my opinion. I may be wrong.

Back in old day's the cars were more like what me and you drove,some had more
advantage,some cars got banned after a 2 yr run because they dominated(dodge daytona,and superbirds). Now all are made equal and have to meet specs set by nascar. So now it is more driver skill instead who has the most horsepower and better car. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26.gif[/img]

Guest oldschooler
A sport is

[b]sport (spƃʒƂĀ“rt, sprt) KEY

NOUN:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively. [/b]

Well Nascar is all of the above.
Ad their drivers are athletes by the definition of the word.

[b]athƃā€šĆ‚Ā·lete (thlt) KEY

NOUN:

A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts. [/b]

The car is just as much a tool to the driver as a
baseball bat is to the MLB player, or the racket to the
tennis player and the club to a Golf pro.

Nascar IS a sport. The defiNitioN of the word says so.
Either accept it ....or be WRONG ! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/27.gif[/img]

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='34inXXIII' date='Feb 27 2005, 09:21 AM']Then bowling is also a sport and bowlers are athletes.ƃā€šĆ‚Ā  Kind of sad really.
[right][post="52342"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Bowling has had [b]Professionals[/b] playing for years.
Do you thik they get paid to do it for a living because it`s
easy and any1 can do it ?

You say "kind of sad really" like you didn`t know
Bowling IS considered a sport by some people ? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img]

Does it take the stamina of other sports ? no
But just because it doesn`t take as much extertion as other
sports doesn`t mean that it isn`t a sport. It just means it isn`t
(much of) a sport to YOU.

Alot of things are sports. It doesn`t mean that "only" World
Class Athletes are competing.
Hell you can put your kid into "sports" (baseball, football ect.)
Does he have to hit like Barry Bonds to be playing ?
And you can be an "athlete" ad be "unathletic"

Example

[img]http://www.patandkat.com/pat/weblog/images/webber-dunk1.jpg[/img]

Guest 34inXXIII
Now that you've defended the honor of Pete Weber & company, care to expand on what great athletes there are in the professional dart and billiard leagues?

[quote name='Gonzoid' date='Feb 26 2005, 06:41 PM']Figure skating's a sport. It also takes endurance, strength, and focus.

Now shuffleboard? That's not a sport.
[right][post="52139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Trouble with figure skating is that the winner is not determined by a well-defined objective like in racing. The winner of a race is the one who crosses the finish line first, or in the least amount of time. The winner of a figure skating competition is a matter of a few people's opinion.

I do not dispute the athletic ability involved in skating, just the method of competition. If figure skating is a sport, then so are marching band competitions.

Guest 34inXXIII

EDIT: reply to a now-missing oldschooler post...

And like I said in an earlier post, it's my opinion. As long as you're looking up definitions, why don't you check that one out. Yes, by the absolute definition of the term "sport", I'm wrong. I'm basically taking exception to the fact that activities like bowling, darts, billiards, rodeo and horse racing are sports and their participants athletes.

Some of us do, in fact, have a higher perception of what an athlete is. A guy, walking 4 steps and rolling a ball isn't it. Nor is a a person walking around a table knocking balls around with a stick or hobbits on horseback circling a track. Oh, and guys sitting in a car for hours.

This is my perception...my opinion. My point of view is why they shouldn't be sports, so I guess I take exception with the definition. You can feel free to tell me once again that I am wrong; you do seem to get off on doing that after all.

As for the "bitchiness" comment, I guess that was my fault for not making it more clear that it was not to be taken too seriously...just like this whole damn thread.

BTW, how many pounds do bowlers lose during those gruelling 10 frames? :D

Guest oldschooler
1st off ...your post has been changed and mine has been deleted
by a Mod obviously.

And let`s not make this a Bowling thread ...and ecspecially not a thread
where you personally attack me because your "opinion" is wrong.

You can have your own opinion. But you can`t ignore FACTS.
I already stated that just because a sport does`t take as much
energy as another ...doesn`t mean that it isn`t a sport.

Guest BengalLady

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Feb 27 2005, 07:57 AM'][color="blue"]Serious Question for anyone:

Do they have some sort of system or toilet in thereĀ  :blink: [/color]

[right][post="52311"][/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] That would be good for one of those laxative commercials.

This is not a good time for your laxative to start working. :lol:

Guest Gonzoid
[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='Feb 27 2005, 11:08 AM']The winner of a figure skating competition is a matter of a few people's opinion.[right][post="52356"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
And in the case of the Olympics, those opinions can be bought.

Archived