The good, the bad, and the ugly

[quote name='spicoli' post='531529' date='Aug 21 2007, 11:44 PM']why oh why are we soooo wrapped up in a couple of pre-season games that mean absolutely nothing? They're nothing but glorified practices and we have no idea whatsoever what it is that they're working on during that particular week. These practice games mean NOTHING AT ALL. Why is that so difficult for everybody to come to grips with?[/quote]

So true.

But....Worthlessburger is still ugly....right? ;)

[quote name='ONYX' post='530473' date='Aug 19 2007, 03:44 PM']:lol: [color="#FF0000"][b] I have beaten everybody that I have played here at least once.........except for that hoe Tigris. <_< [/b][/color][color="#FF0000"][b]Ok so based on that comment, do you truely believe that Bresnahan has a good scheme ?[/b][/color][/quote]I think our defense has been mediocre at best and with our defensive roster we have now and what I've seen from the first team defense so far in the preseason...I would have to say no. But I hope it gets better for the regular season.[quote name='BengalSIS' post='531533' date='Aug 21 2007, 09:54 PM']So true. But....Worthlessburger is still ugly....right? ;)[/quote]You guys have a lot of red hair in your family! :D

[quote name='Bunghole' post='531583' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:35 AM']I think our defense has been mediocre at best and with our defensive roster we have now and what I've seen from the first team defense so far in the preseason...I would have to say no. But I hope it gets better for the regular season.You guys have a lot of red hair in your family! :D[/quote]

If'n yer referrin to my youngin, it's all blonde, not a speck of red. The camera fools everyone.

Her Daddy has NO red hair in the family tree. It's all HIS fault. <_<

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='531585' date='Aug 22 2007, 06:40 AM']If'n yer referrin to my youngin, it's all blonde, not a speck of red. The camera fools everyone.

Her Daddy has NO red hair in the family tree. It's all HIS fault. <_<[/quote]
I have the same problem with my son Jacob. He's got dirty blond hair and it looks red in pictures.
[img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4681/p7180009ti4.jpg[/img]
See?

Anyhow, Shayne's and your hair is red, yes?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='531588' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:55 AM']I have the same problem with my son Jacob. He's got dirty blond hair and it looks red in pictures.
[img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4681/p7180009ti4.jpg[/img]
See?

Anyhow, Shayne's and your hair is red, yes?[/quote]

Yes, and so is dad's and several people on both my mom's and dad's side of family. Like I said....Annika's daddy blew it. ;)

Ok, we are digressing and hijacking this thread.

Who else is ugly?

Seriously though.

I thought the performance by Rowe was good.

I thought our tackling is bad (do we have to say this every year?)

And Ugly?.....I think I've addressed that.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='531631' date='Aug 22 2007, 10:44 AM']Our lack of taking advantage of turnovers in terms of converting them into TD's instead of settling for FG's...especially that fumble recovery we had inside their red zone and we went 3 and out....[/quote]

I agree. We have a great "scoring" % in the redzone, but how many of those are FG instead of TD? We need to get better in the red.

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='531635' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:48 AM']I agree. We have a great "scoring" % in the redzone, but how many of those are FG instead of TD? We need to get better in the red.[/quote]
Yeah. We're damn lucky to have Shayne....I mean, if we had a lesser kicker, those scores may not have been as close in those losses!
Then again, we would have won the Lions game if he had made the game-winner, but...it happens, to all kickers. I'm sure he was pretty disappointed by that, I know I would have been.

[quote name='sneaky' post='530456' date='Aug 19 2007, 05:14 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]I disagree. If quick slants are so dangerous, every offense would be doing them and every defense
would back their corners off. This is more about philosophy than anything. There are D-coordinators
that want their players to be aggressive and play confident. These coaches would have the corners
jam those receivers to break up a QB's timing.

Then there are the coordinators that has gameplans predicated on "not to loose" as opposed to actually
stopping a offense.

The Colts nickel and dimed us to death because Bresnahan's game plan was not to give up a
big play. Manning exploited the open underneath stuff.

A potent offense is going to get some yards and points no matter what.

If you play aggressive, you might lose big on some plays or you might win big on some plays.

If a defense plays too passive, the better offenses around the league will eat them up.

[/b][/color][/quote]

First of all a team does not lead the entire league in interceptions like we did in '05 by playing a "passive" defense. We had lots of trouble stopping the pass last year, but is was because pf p[oor play, not poor defensive schemes.

Against the Colts Manning averaged 7.8 ypa while he avegarged 7.9 against the rest of the league. Plus he had 282 yards against us in that game. During the rest of the season he passed for more than that in seven other games. So even though it didn't appear to be working, Bresnehans scheme was as successful at containing Manning as any other team. Remember also that the score was only 17-13 in the third quarter despite Carson having the worst day of his career.

Another example people throw out to bash Bresnehan is the second half of the Chargers game. they claim that we lost because we went into a "prevent defense". First of all we wern't in a prevent defense, and second Delthat got beaten on a long pass play early in the second half. So it is impossible to criticise the coordinator for being in a scheme designed to prevent long pass complations when the DBs get beaten deep.

Last year Tory, Deltha, and most of our LBs were terrible in coverage. Even Madieu had problems in coverage last year. I'm not saying that Chuck is s defensive genius, but I can't blame him for the poor execution by his players.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='531660' date='Aug 22 2007, 10:46 AM']...Against the Colts Manning averaged 7.8 ypa while he avegarged 7.9 against the rest of the league. Plus he had 282 yards against us in that game. During the rest of the season he passed for more than that in seven other games. So even though it didn't appear to be working, Bresnehans scheme was as successful at containing Manning as any other team. Remember also that the score was only 17-13 in the third quarter despite Carson having the worst day of his career...[/quote]

right, I was gonna say Manning could have thrown for well over 350 yards that day, but he didn't have to since we fell apart. They just ran the ball to eat up the clock in the 4th. That game was pitiful.

Archived