I hate being the guy to post "he got cut, lets take a look at him" but here it goes:

[quote]Jaguars released TE Jermaine Wiggins.

Wiggins reportedly suffered a concussion in Jacksonville's preseason game, perhaps giving Jacksonville the impetus to cut him. With Marcedes Lewis established as the starter and George Wrighster healthy enough to back up, Wiggins wasn't needed. He has could catch on elsewhere, but it's possible his nine-year career is over.[/quote]

I hate Wiggins with a passion, and obviously he has some chinks in the armor right now, but considering the state of our TEs, Wiggins is at least worth a look

[quote]Comment:
Wiggins has good size and athleticism and excellent body control. He wastes little motion out of his cuts. He has deceptive speed and vertical ability. He can get behind linebackers. His wide frame and good bulk make him a tough matchup for safeties in man-to-man coverage. He can push around defenders and carve out space. He competes for balls in traffic and over the middle. He could be more productive on jump balls and in the red zone if the Vikings go to him more in those situations (as they say they will). He is experienced and knows how to adjust his routes and find holes in zone coverage. His concentration has dramatically improved in recent years. He had a reputation for drops, but he has become very consistent and dependable. He works to get himself into blocking position. But Wiggins doesn't offer much in the run game or after the catch. He lacks in-line power and won't move the pile. He can be knocked back by big defensive ends. He isn't a natural open-field runner.[/quote]

Better than Day?

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534038' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:03 PM']If it means anything, ESPN insider has him ranked as 23rd best TE and Kelly 49th[/quote]

In our offense, Kelly would be rated much higher than Wiggins but I get the point of the thread, I would like to take a look at him at least. I always liked him when he played for Minnesota.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='534043' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:37 AM']In our offense, Kelly would be rated much higher than Wiggins but I get the point of the thread, I would like to take a look at him at least. I always liked him when he played for Minnesota.[/quote]

he just looks so dumb in a uniform... it's almost painful to watch him

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534045' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:11 PM']he just looks so dumb in a uniform... it's almost painful to watch him[/quote]

I've always felt the same, that he looks akward in a uniform........

Anyways, it would be nice to have a pass catching threat at that position and without Henry in the first 8 games.......he might come in handy in the red zone if what they say about him is accurate regarding jump balls.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='534049' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:44 AM']all it means is that espn doesn't know shit and only care if the TE's can catch...[/quote]

well that is kinda a big deal...

... Regardless, if Kelly goes down (i hope to god he doesnt) we will have a 2nd year player at TE (who many of us wanted to draft on day 2 two years ago) and it would be nice to have a more proven player for depth as well

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534052' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:46 AM']well that is kinda a big deal...

... Regardless, if Kelly goes down (i hope to god he doesnt) we will have a 2nd year player at TE (who many of us wanted to draft on day 2 two years ago) and it would be nice to have a more proven player for depth as well[/quote]

not to our offense...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='534066' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:03 AM']not to our offense...[/quote]

Reggie Kelly had 15 less receptions than Henry (our number 3 WR) and 12 more receptions than Washington (our 4 WR)

He was 4th on our team in recieving yards

... That may or may not make your point for you, but if we had a pass catching threat at TE, you may see more catches coming from that position

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534074' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:11 AM']Reggie Kelly had 15 less receptions than Henry (our number 3 WR) and 12 more receptions than Washington (our 4 WR)

... That may or may not make your point for you, but if we had a pass catching threat at TE, you may see more catches coming from that position[/quote]

Henry played 3 less games than Reggie Kelly. Kelley Washington played in 11 less games.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534074' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:11 AM']Reggie Kelly had 15 less receptions than Henry (our number 3 WR) and 12 more receptions than Washington (our 4 WR)

... That may or may not make your point for you, but if we had a pass catching threat at TE, you may see more catches coming from that position[/quote]

i have never understood why either, b/c in my mind adding a TE threat to this already extremely potent offense would only help, but this team refuses to draft or sign a catching-only TE so i guess i finally jumped on board and will support this decision...

Archived