OT, but I'm bored as hell...Donkeys cut Travis Henry

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3422418"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3422418[/url]

Broncos release Henry after one disappointing season
ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 2, 2008, 12:35 PM ET
Big expectations in Denver for Travis Henry ended Monday when the Broncos released the running back one season into his five-year free-agent deal.
"Although Travis has the ability to be one of the top running backs in the NFL, we have to make decisions that are in the best interests of our organization and its goal of winning a Super Bowl," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said in a statement. "We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team."

Henry, who was signed by the Broncos as a free agent in March 2007, rushed for 691 yards on 167 carries with four touchdowns in 12 games in his only season with the team.

Henry, who suffered a hamstring injury last month while running sprints, has been slow to heal and the team did not expect him to return to offseason workouts until this week. Still, the addition last week of former Buccaneers running back Michael Pittman indicated Henry wasn't going to be a major factor in Denver's plans in 2008.

Henry signed a five-year, $22.5 million deal in 2007 and was considered to be the running back who would be the perfect fit for Shanahan's running offense. Included in the deal was a $6 million signing bonus. Henry restructured his contract after the season and took more than $11 million in pay reductions.

The move put his contract in very simple terms: He was making $1 million a year in base and $100,000 annually in workout bonuses. Financially, the Broncos had him as a starting running back at backup money. But apparently, Henry's off-the-field issues outweighed the finances and he was released.

Henry led the league in rushing after the first month of the '07 season before leg injuries and off-the-field troubles took their toll. He spent several weeks fighting the NFL over a failed drug test that would have carried a one-year ban, and he never recovered from knee injuries as the Broncos missed the playoffs with a 7-9 record.

Selvin Young, Andre Hall and rookie Ryan Torain were getting extra carries in Henry's absence.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton was used in this report.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='669629' date='Jun 2 2008, 12:28 PM'][url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3422418"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3422418[/url]

snip[/quote]

No thanks...dumb as a rock, pot smoker, a litter of kids from a lot of women, coming off an injury. And this coming from me, a Vol fan. I know you weren't necessarily suggesting it but before anyone did I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

[quote name='Memphis_Bengal' post='669660' date='Jun 2 2008, 02:44 PM']No thanks...dumb as a rock, pot smoker, a litter of kids from a lot of women, coming off an injury. And this coming from me, a Vol fan. I know you weren't necessarily suggesting it but before anyone did I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.[/quote]
:lol:

I was actually hoping that you or VolBengal would chime in with your take.
I know that ALL Tennessee fans keep tabs on all their players, past and present!

From what I understand, he's been pretty much the same as he is now since BEFORE he got to Tennessee... any truth to that?

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='669665' date='Jun 2 2008, 02:52 PM']:lol:

I was actually hoping that you or VolBengal would chime in with your take.
I know that ALL Tennessee fans keep tabs on all their players, past and present!

From what I understand, he's been pretty much the same as he is now since BEFORE he got to Tennessee... any truth to that?[/quote]
I saw that earlier today.

Good player - needs to keep his dick in his pants. I've not heard any stories around town of him having these types of problems when he was at UT. But, it is one of those deals where it is highly unlikely he learned all this crap once he got into the NFL. Just don't have any substantial information to support the issues.

My concern with the guy is that he's been cut from Tennessee and now Denver after having a really nice career in Buffalo - pre Willis McGahee. Why, when Tennessee has Chris Brown (an injury waiting to happen) and the fat ass from USC, do they cut Travis Henry if he has anything, then proceed to draft running backs in each of the past two drafts. I just don't think he has anything left in the tank. Aside from that, he's a Rudi clone. Nothing dazzling - 25-30 carry per game masher that is a 2 yd, 2 yd, 6 yd gainer. He's not going to, never did really, hit the long one on you.

I'd probably say we'd be just as well to leave that one alone. We have enough upheaval in our RB corps - he just makes it worse without, IMO, bringing a benefit to the table.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='669682' date='Jun 2 2008, 02:58 PM']I saw that earlier today.

Good player - needs to keep his dick in his pants. I've not heard any stories around town of him having these types of problems when he was at UT. But, it is one of those deals where it is highly unlikely he learned all this crap once he got into the NFL. Just don't have any substantial information to support the issues.

My concern with the guy is that he's been cut from Tennessee and now Denver after having a really nice career in Buffalo - pre Willis McGahee. Why, when Tennessee has Chris Brown (an injury waiting to happen) and the fat ass from USC, do they cut Travis Henry if he has anything, then proceed to draft running backs in each of the past two drafts. I just don't think he has anything left in the tank. Aside from that, he's a Rudi clone. Nothing dazzling - 25-30 carry per game masher that is a 2 yd, 2 yd, 6 yd gainer. He's not going to, never did really, hit the long one on you.

I'd probably say we'd be just as well to leave that one alone. We have enough upheaval in our RB corps - he just makes it worse without, IMO, bringing a benefit to the table.[/quote]

He's got a future outside of the NFL.....as a poster boy for Trojan condoms :).

Archived