Porsche Panamera

Bengal Migration

[center][img]http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2008/08/14/LHporsche2_wideweb__470x310,0.jpg[/img][/center]

[quote]Bruce Newton, drive.com.au
August 14, 2008 - 11:03AM

Porsche has set the forthcoming Panamera the task of being more comfortable than a Mercedes-Benz S-Class and more sporting than a BMW M5, but in an unwanted spin-off it is also threatening the 911 as the performance leader in the model line-up.

The niche sports car builder's first ever four-door luxury car is due for its global reveal at the Geneva motor show next March and its Australian launch in the second half of 2009.

``The Panamera is to have the space, luxury and ambience of a true limousine and the handling and performance of an executive sedan,'' Porsche Cars Australia spokesman Paul Ellis told drive.com.au.

``My understanding is that the car, from a performance point of view, has an issue in that it is almost too good. The 911 is the benchmark car.

``From the performance point of view it has exceeded the benchmarks.''

That means the performance of the Panamera will undoubtedly be wound back as it is not allowed to exceed the 911, which remains Porsche's flagship model.

There will be a variety of Panamera models rolled out from next year. Rear-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, V6 and V8 petrol normally aspirated and twin-turbo engines, and even a hybrid are all said to be in the mix.

Porsche has set a 20,000 global annual sales target for Panamera with Australia aiming for around 150.

Ellis confirmed Porsche is targeting oMercedes-Benz and BMW with the Panamera.

``It is purely a conquest car. People aren't going to buy a Panamera instead of a Cayenne,'' he says.

Senior Porsche engineers at last week's global Carrera 4 launch said the Panamera had performed well in back-to-back tests against AMG Benzes and the M5. They nominated the Maserati Quattroporte and forthcoming Aston Martin Rapide as other serious rivals.

Meanwhile, Porsche has apparently abandoned any thought of developing the sub-Cayenne 4WD dubbed Roxster in the press. It was said to be based on the same platform as the new Audi Q5.

``The [smaller 4WD] segment doesn't make any sense for Porsche,'' said company spokesman Michael Baumann. ``It is even more mass market and we are not going to change the business model of Porsche to compete in a mass-market segment.''

``There are no plans beyond the Panamera that are even close to being discussed. We are stretching the company as it is with the fourth model line and we haven't even introduced it in the market. We have our hands full.''[/quote]

[url="http://www.theage.com.au/news/motors/taking-on-m5and-911/2008/08/14/1218307073157.html"]http://www.theage.com.au/news/motors/takin...8307073157.html[/url]

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='687698' date='Aug 14 2008, 08:49 PM']A 4-door Porsche... barf... there's just something unclean and sacreligeous about that. Kind of like if they made a Porsche SUV or something... oh, wait...[/quote]
I see what you're saying, but the article clearly delineates Porsche's exclusivity...the fact that they DON'T mass produce vehicles tells you something about their mission statement (you know, provide sporting machines for rich people) and that their market is such that they really don't need to get into the big auto game to make money.

The closest thing I can think of to a modern mass-produced Porsche is the Boxter, and you don't even see that many of those. And it isn't like they are cheap nor sporting.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='687707' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:01 PM']I see what you're saying, but the article clearly delineates Porsche's exclusivity...the fact that they DON'T mass produce vehicles tells you something about their mission statement (you know, provide sporting machines for rich people) and that their market is such that they really don't need to get into the big auto game to make money.

The closest thing I can think of to a modern mass-produced Porsche is the Boxter, and you don't even see that many of those. And it isn't like they are cheap nor sporting.[/quote]
It's not the production quantity I have issue with, its the body style.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='687727' date='Aug 15 2008, 05:43 AM']It's not the production quantity I have issue with, its the body style.[/quote]
i agree, and i wouldnt say they were that successful at the suv market

if i want a porsche, its a 2 door sports car and not the shitty boxter either.

They are going to compete with AMG's and M5's, good luck.

[quote name='whodey319' post='687731' date='Aug 15 2008, 07:12 AM']i agree, and i wouldnt say they were that successful at the suv market

if i want a porsche, its a 2 door sports car and not the shitty boxter either.

They are going to compete with AMG's and M5's, good luck.[/quote]
Well, some of us can't afford a 911 or a Carerra GT, so the Boxster is going to have to do.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='687934' date='Aug 15 2008, 07:04 PM']Well, some of us can't afford a 911 or a Carerra GT, so the Boxster is going to have to do.[/quote]

Look, if you need one of these cars but are concerned about money, I might suggest Extenze, Enzyte, or even one of those Swedish-made pumps; they'll take care of your problem for a lot less money.

Archived