Looking ahead to 2009

What is the biggest need for 2009?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Offense

• Quarterback (Palmer)
    • Running back (Perry, Benson)
    • Full back (Johnson, Coats)
    • Wide receiver (Chad, Henry, Chatman, Simpson)
    • Tight end (Utecht, Kelly)
    • Left tackle (Jones)
    • Left guard (Whitworth)
    • Center (???)
    • Right guard (Williams)
    • Right tackle (Collins)
  2. 2. Defense

• Left end (Geathers)
    • Nose tackle (Peko)
    • Under tackle (Sims)
    • Right end (Odom)
    • Weak side linebacker (Rivers)
    • Middle linebacker (Jones)
    • Strong side linebacker (Johnson)
    • Corner (Joseph, Hall, Jones)
    • Free safety (White)
    • Strong safety (Ndukwe)

It looks like top 5 and no less than top 10 pick at this point.

IMO, defense has been much better than I ever imagined at this point. I would hope given the youth and new coaching that will continue.

I'm crazy enough to think if you fix run game and keep improving run defense they could flip this thing rather quickly for 2009 as Carson can get you decent passing yards with balance.

So, Left Tackle or Right Tackle is the top of my wish list from the draft right now. If you can land another Willie Anderson it would improve both running game and pass protection.

Beyond that for the 1st pick I'd go back to Front 7 for the defense LB, DT, DE

Then in the second round keep with the same theme.

But mainly I think if you fix the rush offense that helps pass protection immediately and if the defense can continue to improve on 1st/2nd down rush defense that helps a ton. Success in both areas could jump this team next season.

Off note: I would change O-Coordinator to a guy that has a record of success in building rushing offenses, because it seems that's what Marvin wants and it appears Marvin will be back. No sense in trying to build a physical rushing game under Brat. His schemes and thoughts will always favor passing game which lead you to a different type of player. Ultimately that's what we are finding out this season.

If they decide they want to throw the ball everywhere then let Brat do it and focus on pass pro tackles and pass rushers with the top pick.

Archived